1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sister is applying for the police

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by tar1984, Sep 5, 2012.

1. tar1984

tar1984 write a song, i'll sing along

Apparently she needs to put my details on the application form so I can be 'vetted'. Not just me but all her immediate family.

Will a few low level convictions (1 breach of the peace, a couple of possession charges) cause any problems in this process for her?
  2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

shame on the family name-its OK tar, my uncle stood for tory councillor. I too know the shame.
  3. tar1984

My family mostly see me as the shame tbh ;)
    ruffneck23 and Frankie Jack like this.
  4. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

in serious answer I don't see your youthfull indiscretions as causing a problem- I imagine the vetting is to check she isn't related to a Mr Big and/or trying a bit of crim family entryism into the polis. Freemasonry, fine, but not crim connections.
  5. Clair De Lune

Clair De Lune Glistening finger

:oops:
    *serious answer
  6. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Put some money into an Irish bank account and get a friend to buy some fertaliser with the funds, see what happens.
    Pickman's model and SpookyFrank like this.
  7. tar1984

I'll do this if she eats the last of my chicken dippers again.
    imposs1904, Riklet, Boppity and 8 others like this.
  8. Frances Lengel

Frances Lengel Atrophied Member

I doubt your convictions will matter, but I thought the police had put a freeze on recruitment - Coz of the cuts. Maybe it's different in Scotland?
  9. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever dog poo and knives

It shouldnt be a problem - they just want to know who's who in the relationship setup and file it for posterity - though I would be surpised if they dont discuss at interview for clarity
  10. ddraig

ddraig obstreperous eastside

can you convince her not to?
    stuff_it likes this.
  11. peterkro

peterkro I sing this for the Crickets.

Just a thought,is it actually legal to vet family members of an individual applying for a job.The biblical bit about my brothers keeper seems not to mean anything to plod.
  12. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Going by the rooky cop programme set in Tayside I saw recently she's going to spend a lot of time pulling up drunk men's breeks and imploring them to stop showing people their cocks.
    stuff_it, Frankie Jack and tar1984 like this.
  13. tar1984

I know this won't go down too well on such a radical site ;) but I am proud of her. When she was going through her teens she had to contend with her older brother being a drug addict and all the drama and chaos that goes with that, on top of the usual teenage stuff. I have a lot of guilt over that and just want her to do well.

She has turned out great, and has just finished her degree. She did a dissertation on harm-reduction which I just read and it is excellent :) She is a total leftie and believes in social justice. If she joins the police it will be for the right reasons and she'll be one of the good guys.

*awaits blah blah corrupted by the organisational culture blah blah serving ruling class interests :p whatevs, I amen't going to say those things to her.
    Mation, Greebo, wtfftw and 19 others like this.
  14. ddraig

ddraig obstreperous eastside

fair play to you for all that
    it does get people who are good and go in with the best intentions down and disillusioned, hope your sis can handle it and stay unaffected
  15. tar1984

I need to see this show

edit: not because of the cocks
    Clair De Lune and Puddy_Tat like this.
  16. Frances Lengel

Frances Lengel Atrophied Member

17. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

No need to be coy. You're among friends here. :)

I'll see if I can find it. It wasn't my choice you understand. An urban was staying at mine and took control of the remote. The next night there was a programme on large families and one was a girl I was at school with who has 12 kids.
    Greebo and tar1984 like this.
  18. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

I like how you had to edit that. :D

But don't you live in Scotland? Wouldn't it be common for prosepctive cops to have a sibling with a minor drugs record? :D
  19. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Go rob a bank tomorrow to save her the humiliation of fighting on behalf of the dickheads.
  20. tar1984

This is urban, I didn't want to make the punchline too easy for someone else ;)

Possibly :hmm:
  21. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

tar1984 likes this.
  22. tar1984

It's not working just now, I'll try it later.
  23. tar1984

According to that c4 link scottish police are still taking on recruits
  24. Clair De Lune

Clair De Lune Glistening finger

Aww that is rather lovely :cool:

Maybe she will marry a policeman and have little tiny pig eonholed people ;)
    Greebo, stuff_it and firky like this.
  25. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

:D
  26. tar1984

Let's not get carried away now :eek: i still hate all the other police people ;)
  27. Pingu

Pingu Officially "Cool as Shit"

absolutely

this is nothing. in my time I have been EPV'd (extended positive vetting) and the more recent version - developed vetting. they not only look at your family but your close friends too. At my last interview they knew more about what I had been doing than I did.. "are you sure about that.. could you maybe have been at xxxx on that day?"
  28. peterkro

peterkro I sing this for the Crickets.

^^That's fucking outrageous. I was just reading on a NZ site about them bringing in mandatory drug tests for benefit claimants next year and those failing will have benefits stopped and be charged for the test plus Greek workers being forced to work longer hours.I can't see much more of this happening without massive social unrest.
  29. Andrew Hertford

Andrew Hertford Chocolate Jesus

Good for you, be proud of her. Sounds like she's just the sort of person we need in the police. :)

One of my best mates is also a leftie cop by the way.
    tar1984 likes this.
  30. Frankie Jack

Frankie Jack Not a bloke..

Recruitment drive here in North Strathclyde at the moment.