1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother bear kills cub, and then herself at bile farm.

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by xes, Aug 11, 2011.

1. xes

xes F.O.A.D

This is a very sad story. A mother bear, upon hearing the cries of her baby, which was being tortured by human scum, broke free from her cage and killed her cub, and then ran into a wall, killing herself.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Asia/Story/A1Story20110805-292947.html

I forget who said the quote, or the actual quote itself, but it goes along the line of "you can tell how advanced a society is, by the way they treat their animals"

In which case, we're still in the dark ages.
  2. Divisive Cotton

Divisive Cotton Now I just have my toy soldiers

Are you posting this article up in order to start a debate? Do you think that there are members who are for farming bears for their bile ducts?
  3. Greebo

Greebo Does my bum look big in this paradigm shift?

:(
  4. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

we need a "don't like" button :(
  5. xes

xes F.O.A.D

I'm posting this as I found it very upsetting, thought I'd share the story as it highlights how cruel some industries still are. I have no doubt at all that there would be anybody on here who'd find this practice acceptable in any way shape or form.
    krtek a houby likes this.
  6. Thraex

Thraex Needs to posh up his pants

We need to be reminded of the fucking dispicable practices some people visit on creatures.

((((bears being tortured)))) not that I really hug one.
    kmarxs&sparks likes this.
  7. story

story Changing the facts

The other thing that this story highlights is the question about the sentience and emotional experiences of animals. There are still plenty of people who believe that animals do not experience the emotions that we name love, affection, concern, and so forth. It would appear that the mother bear in this case was experiencing love and concern for her cub, so extreme that she felt her only recourse was to put the cub out of its misery.

That, or she was driven mad by the screeching of the wee'un and killed it in order to make the noise stop. Then, having already been driven mad by the incessant noise, she ran into the wall. Or perhaps she was simply giddy and unbalanced, her inner ear destroyed by the whining of the infant, and running into the wall was an accident.

And someone will be along in a minute to point out the foolishness (or the altruism) of the bear that didn't instead kill the humans.
  8. bmd

bmd and you will see me

It's like what happened in Auschwitz with the human experiments really, isn't it, on that scale of horrifying is what I mean. I was gonna say we think we've come so far since then but you think of what's happening in some countries on the African continent and the sad fact is that we haven't.
    DarthSydodyas likes this.
  9. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Inhumane .... but then we knew that .. also a lot of rare animals are hunted for products which are sold to China.
  10. XR75

XR75 DisMember Banned

It sounds like a made up story to appeal to the same type of people who were more bothered about a polar bear getting shot than some campers getting eaten.

[​IMG]

:hmm:
  11. newme

newme Giant in Pastyland now

Horrifically cruel to begin with and for literally no benefit to anyone.
  12. newme

No campers got eaten.
  13. camouflage

camouflage that's right, space pirate.

Well that can't be true then, China is a very advanced society and has been for a very long time. I guess the tolerance and use of cruelty has nothing to do with being advanced. In fact I imagine there are 'backward' societies in rain-forests and tundras in the world and throughout history that would never tolerate the cruelties so common in so called "advanced" ones, the Chinese and their traditional medicines or industrialized societies generally with our battery farms and research labs.

Very sad story, a hideous triumph for the bear.
  14. newme

Perhaps drilling holes in bears for no good reason isn't a particularily great example of this.
  15. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

I wish I hadn't read that - it's going to haunt me. Terribly sad.
  16. camouflage

You seem to have missed my point completely, so I'll spell it out.

It's usually the so called Advanced societies with their sciences and industries, their sprawling economies and mass consumption and mass entertainment that generate such cruelty. I don't see how torturing bears like this to make fever medicine is any worse than pouring shampoo into the eyes of rabbits or beagles or whatever so that people can wash their hair with aromatic detergents safe in the knowledge they wont be blinded by the stuff. It's equally "no good reason" as far as I'm concerned, so why pick out the Chinese as particularly cruel? They have some different sensibilities to Western culture (dogs an cats etc) but at the end of the day I don't see how we're significantly better.

On the other hand I cannot imagine the Massai-Mara or the Hopi or the Inuit or Amazonian tribes-people or the Saan people of the Kalahari doing anything like that. I may be wrong, and I don't want to big up some misinformed 'noble-savage' type myth, but I just don't think so called "backward" cultures ever have a motive for such cruelty. Some occurs no doubt, but obviously never of the kind of appalling scale as we find it necessary to inflict for whatever reason in Advanced societies.

So, "barbaric", fuck that, we the non-barbarians are the exploitative sadists where it's not real medicine unless somethings been tortured or is being driven to extinction or it's not real industry unless a massive great big fuck-off open caste quarry's been dug or something. We're all Romans now; bread circuses and tiger medicine for all.

Still, at least there's hand-wringing in China about the treatment of the bears, this incident was news after all. Perhaps the practice will eventually be stopped, I hope so.
    pianissimo and DarthSydodyas like this.
  17. newme

Well predominantly I picked them out because, this thread was about bears in China, on a thread about Rabbits in the UK, chances are they are the ones that would have been picked out. Also I'm not sure why you are quoting barbaric as if someone said it, cos no one has, I checked.

To me the treatment is worse because its not actually doing anything useful, the 'medicine' is bullshit. Plus theres a fucking hole in that bear, whose squashed in a cage to prevent it committing suicide and the relative conditions of that compared to the admittedly also very shitty behaviour of pouring shampoo in rabbits eyes is worse.
  18. pianissimo

pianissimo a gradient of grey

This just reminds me a documentary I saw last night on the sperm whale.
    Sperm whales are hunt for their poo. Apparently that substance from their rectum is used in the most expensive french perfume :eek:
  19. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Turned out nice again

i don't want to ask what someone was doing sniffing a whale's arse to find out it smelled nice.
  20. newme

Ambergris is produced in the digestive tract, actually just passes out in the poo.
    I dont have an unhealthy fascination in whale poo, I learned this from Futurama :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambergris
  21. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Reflounced. None of you are worth bothering with.

No, it bloody isn't.
  22. bmd

bmd and you will see me

Why not?
  23. newme

You have any idea exactly what your asking?
  24. Maurice Picarda

If you genuinely believe that cruelty to animals and the industrialised torture and slaughter of humans are morally equivalent then you are a sociopath. Something has broken. You should be on a list.
  25. camouflage

Like John Lennon.
  26. Maurice Picarda

John Lennon should also have been on a list.
  27. newme

He was on someones list.
  28. camouflage

There seemed to me a distinct tone to the thread of "tut tut, those Chinesers, how beastly they are". Don't approve of what goes on in the name of some medicine or other but I also don't like that. I bought the word "barbaric" in because I felt like it, it's in context with the thread, what of it.

Sure, I could also have used veal as an example, or beagles in labs, or chimpanzees with mouths stuffed with fags. Try an make leap the implications now an then yeh, can't spell everything out ffs.:rolleyes:
  29. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

I was under the impression that testing on animals for non medical purposes was banned in the UK. :hmm:
  30. It's horrifying and unacceptable but it's not Auschwitz
    Louloubelle and rollinder like this.