1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOT Nightmares - I ended-up tossing a coin!

Discussion in 'transport' started by claphamboy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. claphamboy

claphamboy The wheels on the bus go round and round....

How so?

Apart from a new battery about 2 years ago, and the MOT fees each year, that £470 is the only money spent on it in at least 3 years, that's bloody cheap motoring in my book.

And as Puddy Tat says, I could have spunked a few grand on another car and ended-up with a even bigger bill a few months down the line.

2. claphamboy

Cheers, I reckon it's something like that, what with the stupid amount of rain over the last 48 hours - it was fine on Saturday when I last drove it, anyway I should know in the next few hours, when the RAC turns up.

3. claphamboy

RAC just been, turns out the battery is knackered and needs replacing, lucky I still have the receipt for when that was last replaced and it's within the 3-year guarantee, now I've just got to wait for the battery place to open & sort out a lift over there to get it exchanged.

Pain in the arse, but at least it's not going cost another £70 for battery. :cool:

4. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

This, absolutely. Older cars (pre ECU basically) FTW. Buy based on bodywork, that's the pricey bit to replace - with older engines anyone with no mechanical knowledge can buy a Haynes and save £ by learning the simple stuff. For anything a bit more complex there's legions of back-st garages who charge £25 p/hour, often cash jobs.

I bought our car 5 years ago, book price on it is about £200. Spent £300 on a complete new fuel system straight after purchase, and it's flown through 4 MOTs with nothing needed since. It's 29 years old.

claphamboy likes this.
  5. claphamboy