1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Milly Dowler's voicemail "hacked by News of the World"

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Was always on the cards, given the politics involved in going after anyone further up the food-chain. Even Brooks will probably get a skate on hacking (as opposed to her current travails, which may just see her wearing Home Office-issue denim at one of HM's holiday camps).

2. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Depends on what sort of precedent any charges set, frankly. I'm not a Murdoch cheerleader, and in my personal opinion if you work for Murdoch you should have your genitals flayed and salted, but I always worry with this sort of thing how any legal precedent will be used in future (whether in law, or to inform legislation), and let's be straight: "The Establishment" would love a few more weapons in the armoury for putting the shits up investigative journalists.

3. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

No you weren't.

4. Lock&Light

Lock&Light Ignoring most idiots Banned

But I was.

5. Santino

If you were, you wouldn't have kept on posting petty shit. That's not how you stop a derail.

To show you how it's done, I will now not respond to you, you shit-eating fuck-faced twat, no matter what petty point-scoring nonsense you attempt.

Random and Orang Utan like this.
  6. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

You missed a comma after 'petty'. :cool:

claphamboy likes this.
  7. Lock&Light

Lock&Light Ignoring most idiots Banned

Your ability to be petty is reflected in your post.

8. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Helpful, bookish and a little bit rebellious

You do know that you are essentially saying, 'I know you are, you said you are, but what am I'? Give it up fella

9. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

yeah but a trolley dolly?:confused:

10. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Please do not drag disruptive spats into unrelated threads. Don't do it again please.

11. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

How come this hasn't made the thread yet?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jun/25/leveson-inquiry-osborne-gove

12. Santino

I don't know. Were you busy or something?

13. gosub

gosub ~#

Module 4-The Inquiry will now be considering ways forward for the future.

Can see why they were turned down, can't understand why they would consider themselves core participants in this area

14. DaveCinzano

*Checks diary*

Yes, yes I was.

This reflects not at all well on you, grasshopper.

15. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Levesons revenge on meddling fuckstain Gove, good. The sooner these twats are prevented from participating in the future of anything in this country the better.

teqniq likes this.
  16. spikey_r

spikey_r last train to Skaville...

17. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

I'm just catching up with this and have just read Levesons comments from Monday morning, they can be read here and watched here.

Its regarding Michael Gove's comments and the Mail story from the 17th June, LEVESON’S THREAT TO QUIT’ OVER MEDDLING MINISTER.

Leveson says, "At the heart of this story are two allegations, first, that I sought to prevent Mr
    Gove from exercising his right to free speech including by making a threat to
    resign and, secondly, that I misused the process of the Inquiry to summon Mr
    Gove in order that I could challenge his behaviour."

It goes on to talk about PMQ's and if Grove was speaking for the government.

Having come to this late and being out of the UK news loop, my question is, does this indicate that the government is trying to castrate Leveson?

18. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

Norman Lamb MP Lib Dem junior business minister undermines Nick Clegg's evidence and says Fred Michel made threats.

Taken from Lamb's contemporaneous notes:
    "Fred Michel, News International, an extraordinary encounter. FM is very charming, he tells me News Int papers will land on VC's desk in next two weeks".

"They (News International) are certain there are no grounds for referral but they realised - they realise - the political pressures".

"He wants things to run smoothly. They have been supportive of the coalition but if it goes the wrong way he is worried about the implications. It was brazen. VC refers case to Ofcom - they turn nasty".

Mr Lamb told the inquiry he had not responded to Mr Michel at the second meeting - on 27 October 2010 - but had taken his concerns to Mr Cable and Mr Clegg.

More here

19. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Potentially very interesting from the Telegraph - potentially not - my bold:

BREAKING: Deputy Chief Constable Craig Denholm of #Surrey Police investigated by IPCC over claims he knew Milly #Dowler's phone was#hacked

20. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

If I recall we were already aware that someone in the police there knew but nothing happened about it (at the time).

21. butchersapron

There has been loads of stuff about Surrey police, what they knew, what they kept quiet, what they were inactive on etc Interesting from a number of angles - why the IPCC has done this now/released news of it now (or if it leaked), and who it concerns amongst those angles.

22. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

Denholm has been heavily involved in the recent police privatisation stuff.

23. DaveCinzano

Brown Moses blog had some interesting stuff about Denholm back in May:

24. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

Close to Yates then....excellent.

25. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

PI Glenn Mulcaire loses fight at London court to keep identity secret of person who told him to intercept messages.

Three people including a prison officer are arrested as part of investigation.

:)

claphamboy and Lock&Light like this.
  26. butchersapron

Just in passing:

Sussex police chief accused of misconduct

27. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

55 yr old man arrested in Cardiff today - operation Tuleta
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18827470
    would love to know who that is

28. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

Andrew Neil, former editor of the Sunday Times questioned the truthfulness of evidence given to the inquiry by his ex-boss News Corp owner Murdoch, article about it here.

Neil's evidence to Leveson here, it was taken as read, so may have passed under some peoples radar.

It seems to undermine Murdoch's evidence that he never got anything from politicians

29. Santino

Could be big, this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/18/phone-hacking-email-news-international

30. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

Held it back since March and the lawyers representing newscorp have apologised? Must be good. Maybe they have to wait until the 'well known individual' is informed?