1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Milly Dowler's voicemail "hacked by News of the World"

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Jul 4, 2011.

1. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

Commentators seem to think this afternoon will be the good bit :)

I'm fucked already as it started at 6am here and I'm ready to go back to bed :)
  2. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

They're back.

False alarm - was the start of another recorded session.
  3. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

So we have had the one rogue reporter defense and now we are getting the one rogue adviser defense, no coincidence there then :)
  4. Lord Camomile

Lord Camomile Unknown Member

I'm surprised John Terry hasn't employed the one rogue knee defence.
    Brixton Hatter likes this.
  5. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

David Cameron has asked the Cabinet Secretary to write to government departments clarifying the procedures for handling quasi-judicial cases.
    [​IMG]

Wheres the horse
    Schmetterling likes this.
  6. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

From the telegraph:
    His performance in the Commons this morning has led Twitter to christen Jeremy Hunt the 'Black Knight of British Politics'. "Your arm's off!" "Tis but a scratch!".
  7. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

the woman on the left is looking very fetching today
  8. ymu

For fuck's sake, is that necessary? Can't a woman, just for once, do her job on camera without getting blokes commenting on her appearance? :rolleyes:

Grow up, you fucking tool.
    Wilf, Lock&Light, stethoscope and 7 others like this.
  9. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

get fucked :)
  10. Lord Camomile

Good ol' Uncle Rupes, all these toasty warm relationships with the likes of Brown and Salmond :)
    shagnasty likes this.
  11. gosub

gosub ~#

True but he's also deflecting double dip stories
  12. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

He did, sorta

"The player checked his run and piled into the back of me. He put his weight on the back foot, that’s why my knee went up."
  13. ymu

It's all I'm good for, right?

Prick.
  14. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

Today finished, Rupert will probably have to do quite a bit tomorrow as well.
  15. Lord Camomile

Ho-hum, more tomorrow...
  16. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

I was hoping Jay would get pissed off and that would trigger Murdoch :(
  17. Lord Camomile

I'm still waiting for

"I WANT THE TRUTH!! :mad:"
    "......um.... what.... what page are we on...? :confused: "
  18. shagnasty

shagnasty two legs bad four legs good

looks bad for salmond ,would like to hear some comment from scots posters about how it is going down in scotland
  19. Wilf

Wilf Getting there

Must admit I'm only an occasional obsever of the hearings and haven't seen that much today, but it seems like Jay isn't getting anywhere with the Murdochs. Particularly today it has been dry urbane questioning, followed by Murdoch choosing to answer in whatever fashion he wanted - with no follow up. Nothing too forensic and Murdoch dictating the pace of the contest. In fact yesterday was junior using the hearings to stir things up for Cameron/Hunt. All a bit bloodless.
  20. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Aide to Rupe: "It's not going as well as we'd hoped, sir. I think tomorrow we may have to resort to Plan B..."

TOMORROW:
    howlinmadmurdoch.jpg

Murdoch: "Eggplant! Verruca sock! Generic 'Nam flashback! I wish I could just jump in the water and live like a fish.."

B Jay Barrister: "I ain't going up in no private aeroplane with you, fool!"
    Idris2002 likes this.
  21. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

I can't see any smoking gun but I'll wait until he finishes with Murdoch to decide.

I'm wondering if all the shit that has hit the fan since Jr yesterday has made them pull back a bit, how funny would it be if an inquiry set up by the PM wound up bringing that PM down, kind of yes minister on steroids :)
  22. 8115

8115 doesn't smoke

So, I've just got home to discover that Jeremy Hunt acted with scrupulous honesty during the whole BSkyB process while his special advisor (for reasons presumably best known to himself) was desperately trying to get News Corporation to win. Well I never.

From the BBC:

But Frederic Michel, head of public affairs at News Corp, has said his references to "JH" in emails were actually shorthand for Mr Hunt's special adviser, Mr Smith.

That's hilarious. I'm not really a fan of people falling on their swords generally, I think it's a bit pointless, but I hope Hunt does go.
    shagnasty likes this.
  23. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

"Right," said Fréd, "Both of us together
    One on each end and steady as we go."
    Tried to rewrite it, but no one would bite it
    We was getting nowhere
    And so we had a cuppa tea
  24. agricola

Brown has released a statement:

Does this mean Brown will authorise the release of his records of when he had contact with Murdoch?
  25. 8115

8115 doesn't smoke

He's very specific, I'd be surprised if he's lying.
  26. shagnasty

shagnasty two legs bad four legs good

Yes as if JH could be mistaken for AS ,these people are unbelievable
  27. ymu

I wanna know if and when Jeremy Hunt went to see Swan Lake.
  28. killer b

killer b curled up on the sofa

Yeah, it also didn't really sound right to me, being practically the exact same words Vince cable used in his discussions with those telegraph reporters some months later. I think Rupert may be misremembering...
  29. agricola

Perhaps there was a performance behind a certain tree (link from Guido's website).
    ymu likes this.
  30. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

that is just incredibly fucking weird