1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Milly Dowler's voicemail "hacked by News of the World"

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Jul 4, 2011.

1. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

I haven't seen it but the chances are he is leading, as he is trained to do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_question
  2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Leading who? Who is he questioning?
  3. Buzz sw9

Buzz sw9 User

I think what he is doing in the text you quote above is, reading into evidence that which he has been asked to read by a core participant or others.

Counsel to the inquire is the voice for everyone and the conduit for evidence, I'm not sure he is making Judgements, I think leveson will be doing that ;)

Could you explain a little more what your concern about the text is, if it hasn't been addressed fully?
  4. butchersapron

He's giving an opinion - not testimony. You cannot read that in. You can read it in as it's a thing that's been said, but not as fact.
  5. Buzz sw9

Buzz sw9 User

He is giving an opinion, whose opinion it is we are not sure off. How much weight, if any, will be given to that opinion at the end of it all, is anyone's guess.
  6. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

I'd have assumed he's responsible for making statements to the press. Presumably being very careful what they say so they don't prejudice any trials.
  7. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

8. butchersapron

So who is he giving statements surmising what RW said to? The press? In that case it's not his job to say that is it? The hearing? Again, not his job.
  9. butchersapron

10. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

Very, very serious. This is very close to an allegation that they were involved in the murder, not just the cover-up.
  11. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

So it might appear.

Bloody hell...
  12. ymu

Useful titbit here. If you ever get raided y the Met: obstruct them, make them think you might turn violent and they'll just give up and let your solicitor fob them off. Established procedure, apparently. :rolleyes:

13. Bernie Gunther

Bernie Gunther Fundamentalist Druid

Yes. I too was a bit puzzled by that.

Wouldn't the Met normally call in a bunch of riot police to kick the living shit out of anyone obstructing them en-masse like that?
  14. ymu

Yes. Brian Paddick said as much at Leveson. Which is nice. Lib Dem in 'has uses' shock.
  15. butchersapron

His whole thing is very useful and will have people picking through it for a while. Ill link to his typed statement when i get on a proper computer later.
  16. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

Looking forward to Yates and hayman today.
  17. DexterTCN

DexterTCN ding dong

18. butchersapron

Here (non pdf)
  19. ymu

Had that on my list to hunt down later. Thanks!
  20. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

I think you'll find the NI people were armed with rolled up newspapers :eek: that makes it a health & safety issue.
  21. butchersapron

32 year old woman arrested after NI management grass up...come on, war, make war.
  22. Santino

Santino lovelier than lovely

I can't figure out that the NI Management Standards Committee is. I'd assumed that it was just a way of putting things at an arms length from Murdoch. Is it really doing anything that he hasn't told it to do? Or has he said 'Do what must be done', because exposing the whole truth is the only way forward now?
  23. ymu

They're jettisoning everything to do with UK newspapers, and possibly all newspapers, asap in order to try and save the much bigger NewsCorp empire. They're co-operating like fuck because of the US Foreign and Corrupt Practices Act. They have to be seen to be doing this right or they potentially lose everything.

Guardian had an article in yesterdays homepage bundle on Murdoch, if you want to find it. Was quite in depth on internal reorganisation away from newspapers etc.
  24. coltrane

coltrane Well-Known Member

From

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/mar/01/leveson-inquiry-yates-hayman-clarke-live-live#block-85

"2.22pm: Yates says it was pointless pursuing Mulcaire again as he has already served time for phone hacking.
    "I took the view, rightly or wrongly, that more evidence against Mulcaire would actually take us nowhere at all. He was never going to stand trial again for phone hacking. He had been
    dealt with, sentenced and that process had been complete.""

Would i be correct in interpreting this as implying that if i had committed as series of bank robberies and i had been charged and sentenced for one bank robbery then Yates is of the view that i shouldn't be charged with the other bank robberies if new evidence emerged that i had committed them?​
  25. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Catching up....
    Lots of stuff there, inc. Mr Marunchak again, alleged payments to police beyond the Met and potential Dowler scale public reaction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-17217685
  26. ymu

Yup. I'm amazed the CPS hasn't published this guidance more widely. How many dawn raids have we tolerated, how many years of punishment-free recidivism have we wasted, all through sheer ignorance of how the law really works. :(
    Mephitic likes this.
  27. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

One would imagine they are exposing absolutely every piece of information that demonstrates that Rupert and James had nothing to do with it and that it was all the fault of various underlings.
  28. Teaboy

Teaboy Tryhard wannabe

Or he's saying that he didnt think phone hacking was that bigger a deal, illegal yes but way down the scale, he had far more important things to be getting on with. Its a line he's used throughout and one that I've heard from other coppers. They did an investigation, they caught the man, he got punished, now off to do some proper policing.

tbf its a line which could have had some credability if it was just about celebs secrets being revealed, however given everything that has come out he now looks like a complete mug or worse.
  29. butchersapron

Yes. That's what i was struggling to say earlier.
  30. barney_pig

barney_pig Po-cha-na-quar-hip

BBC news reporting Virginia wheeler sun defence editor arrested