1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Windows 7 discussion

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Oct 28, 2008.

1. grit

grit an ugly force for good

Exactly it really doesnt make much difference when the smallest desktop disk is 250 gigs with laptops not far behind.

Regarding the actual amount of space consumed, the use of the world recommended is important.
  2. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

SSD.
  3. grit

Right now, if your paying the early adopter tax to run SSD drives, the size of your os install being between 5 and 20 gigs shouldnt be a concern for you as you have already have that jump for performance over storage.
  4. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

But the price is going to drop, halving over 18 months is the expected figure. It's already the case that you can buy cheap SSDs for less than expensive 2.5" HDs, drives that are not only faster but use less power and are far more durable. They are simply a better solution to mobile storage than spinning platters.

Given SSD sizes a large install size might well mean your requirements tip over the boundary between 32GB and 64GB. So, in X months when the price of SSDs has dropped low enough that they can be included in some netbooks you bump into the problem of storage space and an OS that gobbles it up, requiring a more expensive SSD than a lighter alternative like XP. 7 Is going to be with us for a while, to say there are no problems now is to bury your head in the sand.
  5. grit

If the price of the drives is even going to drop more (which I agree it will since SSD will follow Moore's law like everything else), well that proves the point even more that its not something to get worked up about.
  6. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

Is this to deal with the next few years of security updates? :)
  7. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

SSD aren't hugely expensive now. 180 quid gets you a fast 60Gb model. Its expensive in comparison to other disks but other disk's don't give you the monster performance.

My PC now boots W7 in 15 seconds.
  8. grit

£180 for 60gigs, no thanks I'll wait til there are sane prices. Photoshop loading in two rather than five seconds doesnt feel worth the spend to be honest.

Edited to add: Just looked on ebuyer for fun, 2TB drives for less than 180 quid :D
  9. newme

newme Giant in Pastyland now

Never really got what the obsession with boot times was once they got respectable. Im booting Windows 7 in well under a minute, maybe 45 seconds (not bothered timing as it seems unimportant really) using a single 500GB drive that is stuffed full way beyond the recommended capacity on a machine thats several years old now (maybe 2-3 GB free tops at any one time). Dont see what those extra 30 seconds help with really for the exorbitant price differential you pay.
  10. Sunray

Its more about the overall responsiveness of my machine. Its now feels blisteringly fast. I've a second install on a 10,000rpm Raptor drive and that is like treacle by comparison.

I'd never ever go back to mechanical drives for my boot and application drive.

I've said and I'll say it again, it was the best upgrade to my PC that i've ever bought in the 15 years that I've owned PC's
  11. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Windows 7: Most pleasant windows install ever and to be honest they weren't ever very bad.

But my god, that background image is fugly.

Grit: Yes SSD prices will drop eventually but this will postpone the use by ~18 months. But who cares, it's only 18 months!
  12. Global Stoner

I like the way it rotates them...yes there are some minging ones, but there are some nice ones as well.
  13. Sunray

I don't like the way they dropped Dreamscene from the install.

I love the autumn leaves in a gentle wind. Very relaxing background.
  14. Global Stoner

Small things, but I thinks it nice when I minimize to desktop there is a new image.

Hopefully when its out there will off free 3rd party packs. I know I could make my own, but I'm lazy.
  15. Pingu

Pingu Officially "Cool as Shit"

i have found a small problem with windows7

it REALLY did not like me changing my motherboard and processor.

vista just went "meh, erm like whatever - here let me install some new drivers for this cool noew stuff I have found"

windows 7 however has thrown a hissy fit and will no longer play. looking at the crash dump files its classpnp.sys that casuing the issue

use the repair option... "no I dont want to do that ...and I am not going to tell you why I dont want to do that, so ner. just to keep you happy though lets go through the motions and bin out at the end"

remove every peripheral apart from boot drive and stuff needed for pc to work... "nice try there matey but ... nah, here have a BSOD"

so anyhoo have reinstalled onto a diff partition and now flying along again.

moral of this post?

have backups -without them I would not be a happy bunny right now
  16. ovaltina

ovaltina Well-Known Member

17. The Groke

The Groke hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat

This has always been a bit pot-luck for me under any OS after 2k.

Depends on the MoBo, the chipset drivers etc as to whether Windows can muster that first boot, ride out the errors and conflicts and get you to a place where you can update the drivers.

It can help if you uninstall all the Chipset related HW devices, USB hubs, on-board ethernet et al before you then swap the board out...not always though.

Funnily enough though, my experience did mirror yours and when I upgraded my board under Win 7 (same brand, different chipset) even pulling out as many old devices as I could before the swap didn't work.
  18. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

I upgraded this box to Windows 7 the other day. The upgrade process took over 12 hours. Seems to have gone alright, though.

And if you've a KVM, don't use the Hibernate function.
  19. The Groke

The Groke hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat

WTF?

Did you install it on a 386 or something?

:hmm:
  20. jæd

jæd Corporate Hooker

Even upgrading Ubuntu by downloading packages over the Internet doesn't take that long. WTF is it doing...? :eek:
  21. Pingu

Pingu Officially "Cool as Shit"

it does a compatiilty check on all the stuff you have installed so can take a long time if you have lots of progs. the plus side is that if you have progs that dont like w7 they are can be to run in compatibiolity mode.

i am liking it so far. OK its not a big visual upgrade to vista but has some nice touches and is certainly faster
  22. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Feck knows what it was doing but it's meticulous about upgrading everything. 2 GB 3.4 GHz Pentium D. A clean install on another PC only took an hour. And another hour to install everything else.
  23. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

Upgrade installs are generally not a great plan TBH. And Pentium Ds are hateful little chips

I am going to do upgrade installs from Win 1 to 7 in a VM one day though. Must be possible right :D
  24. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

I have a problem :(

Have been running 7 a while now and its great . . . but for the fact that it keeps locking up, can't move the mouse, entire things crashes and has to be re-booted. Seems to be no rhyme or reason for it.

Any thoughts?
  25. Sunray

Hard to tell. Could be lots of things.

Does the Windows System event log have to say. Sometimes it'll say something about the crash, but if the mouse locks its a really bad crash. Unlikely it'll be able to write anything.

Most likely a hardware driver issue. Could also be faulty memory. Might be over heating. Could be the PSU on its way out. Could be just a bit of the computer that's faulty that the old OS didn't use so never knew it didn't work.

What machine is it? Laptop or desktop?

I've run W7 for a while now. Its never crashed so officially my most reliable OS ever.
  26. newme

newme Giant in Pastyland now

I have no issues with it really, other than the bluescreens Ive had lately which appear to be related to inlaid/streaming videos as this is when it occurs, tho not with any degree of certainty as to when and why.

New graphics drivers have been installed and this hasnt prevented the problem reoccuring.
  27. grit

installed the RTM on Sunday afternoon 25mins for clean install and everything worked straight out of thevox, very impressed, nice to have something other than xp to look at eight hours a day
  28. ExtraRefined

My housemate is hosting a win7 launch party :D
  29. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

Presumably, with no whooping and clapping, but lots of sombre congratulations and some drinking?

:D :D
  30. ExtraRefined

:cool: