1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Windows 7 discussion

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

Full developer subscription to MSDN and the private MS download servers. I'm a developer. Can download everything MS do, in every language, to test software against before customers start telling me stuff doesn't work properly.

2. frogwoman

frogwoman I welcome your experience

i hate vista, prefer windows xp.

3. stowpirate

stowpirate skinflintish camera nut

What are the hardware requirements for these fancy graphics? Will a 64mb nvidia graphics card, 1.2ghz duron box with 512mb ddr ram run this?

4. Sunray

Probably not.

But a 1.7Ghz P4 (original) with 512Mb ram did run it quite well.

5. Sunray

When they said vigorous, they meant it. Its one of those actions that doesn't work quite like you want it to, its a bit hit and miss. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong....

6. Sunray

Microsoft in their wisdom have decided to remove Dreamscene from W7, bunch of ****. It was the only decent upgrade they gave Vista 'Ultimate' and now they ripped it out. I just had to hack W7 to get it back.

7. A Dashing Blade

A Dashing Blade Takes horses to water but can't make donkeys drink

Slapped it over Vista64 last night, was literally a case of put disc in, "Are you sure" . . . "Y", off down the pub for a couple, came back and job done.
    Well happy so far.

8. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

my lappy
    has a 1.6ghz core2duo and 2gb ram.

will running win7 x64 be much better performance than win7 x86.
    I'm not too much concerned about the amount of old software supported
    but I don't want to go for it if it will be a negligible change
    unless we moving into a time when innovative x64 apps will be developed that won't be built for x86?

9. Sunray

Its possible that there is a 20% performance hike, but I've not seen anything to really say one is better than the other.

If you move the window to the edge it resizes it left and right and to the top goes full screen. Not sure that adds anything.

Networking has become a mess IMO. Vista made it more complicated than it needed to be but seem to work. The addition of the windows 7 only homegroups to add to the complexity now its going to totally confuse if you have anything slightly out of the ordinary. It confused me when I wanted to set up my link between my PC and my laptop, Gb network rather than over wireless.

10. Jambooboo

Jambooboo Who Loves You Baby?

I've ended up buying two copys, as I thought the first one I bought online didn't go through. Got them cheap though - ie. under £50 - and so one can go on the new build as intended and the other can either be sold (hopefully for a profit) or replace Vista on my laptop.

Not tried the beta/RC so I've no idea what to expect - tbh I'm not expecting it to revolutionise anything.

11. Sunray

Its nothing revolutionary.

Just a lot of tidying up and some thought gone into usability. Its not like these were usability hells in the 1st place.

Some nice features that will be appreciated by all. Libraries is a good example. If people were willing to fiddle with the command line, the library concept were possible anyway. Nice to see a workable front end for that technology.

12. Sunray

Having switched off that docking window thing, Windows 7 is essentially Vista with a different look and quite a bit faster.

Really nothing to get excited about.

13. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

Given how slow and shit Vista's been for me I'd say that's enough to get excited about...

14. bmd

bmd this can be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally long now

This Endgadget review seems to disagree with you.

There's just one example here -

I would also say that the fact that it's so much faster means that there's a hell of a difference and I have yet to think to myself "wtf" about W7 whereas that came to mind quite often when I tried Vista and it's this that I think is the major difference, that they've made the interface so much smoother and slicker.

15. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

another definite plus in windows 7 over vista is the image gallery slideshow.
    this was extremely clunky and buggy in vista (much worse than xp)
    now it is back to its smooth former self.

16. grit

grit an ugly force for good

++

17. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

18. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Interesting, but not very 'useful' - it's not like users have a choice between the two when considering an OS upgrade :)

I will have a play with windows 7 as soon as I'm sat infront of it - it certainly looks like an improvement on XP, and what Vista should have been all along.

19. jæd

jæd Corporate Hooker

Its a pointless comparision only a Pundit would make. One's a few tweaks to an already quite good o/s and the other's overhaul of something that wasn't received well... Anyhow, you could always dual-boot... :D

20. DeepStoat

DeepStoat Banned Banned

Windows 7 is far more pleasant to use that Vista (spits).

Although I still can't see any major advantage to scrapping XP.

Better off with Ubuntu anyhoo.

21. Sunray

None of the above is very true. I find Vista and W7 identical to use from a UI point of view. W7 is a lot faster but that's partially down to my SSD boot disk.

XP doesn't support the new hardware that Intel and chipset vendors are churning out. No default SATA drivers and no in depth power management.

Ubuntu is for geeks.

22. ovaltina

ovaltina Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for the killer "oh, wow, I never imagined a computer could do that" moment that would convince me to upgrade, so I'm sticking with my indestructable IBM and going on holiday to San Francisco instead. :)

23. grit

grit an ugly force for good

Personally I'm just happy to have something that looks a bit more modern and has better window management.

24. editor

Although I've rather enjoyed using Vista, there's still a couple of little things that are annoying me, although most of those are to do with incompatibilities with older progs.

25. newme

newme Giant in Pastyland now

Was not remotely impressed with vista, it felt broken.
    Windows 7 feels fixed.

26. Pingu

Pingu Credo

well i have been living with windows 7 for a couple of weeks now and tbh if i had paid for the upgrade from vista I would have been disappointed.

cant really see much difference on the surface. yeah it loads a bit faster and has some gimmicks that a re cute but cant say it really wows me.

27. editor

28. DeepStoat

DeepStoat Banned Banned

That post is full of wrongness.

W7 is much faster than Vista, which is why it's much more pleasant to use.

Ubuntu is not for geeks. It's suitable for beginners much more than Windows as finding and installing software is made very simple, not to mention it comes packaged with most thing you'd want already.

I've done my stint with W7 and uninstalled it and gone back to Ubuntu.

29. asbestos

asbestos piss in my eye boogie

30. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

Not really an issue for desktop PCs as hard disks are large and cheap these days, but seeing as 7 is supposed to be optermised for netbooks, so they can finally kill of XP, it seems a bit large.

TBH I hadn't even checked how big my windows install was, but I've just had a look and its 12.5GB on RC1 64bit. It would seem odd if they have added another 7.5gb for the final retail version.