1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Windows 7 discussion

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Oct 28, 2008.

1. newme

newme Giant in Pastyland now

photoshop at a guess.

2. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

3. dweller

dweller muthafuckin snakes

I had the 7 Beta on a partition for testing, but quite fancy upgrading my
    main Vista to this release as it will last quite a while.
    I think I should ghost the vista first in case everything goes tits up.
    Is there a free easy bit of software for this purpose?

4. mack

mack Fact Me Till I Fart

Just backing up some files before giving this a whirl, be interesting to see how it runs on this old laptop - Acer travelmate 8100, 2ghz 2gig ram.

By the time the demo runs out I should hopefully be able to afford a new pc/laptop anyway.

5. Fingers

Fingers from the internetz

I had Vista install on my laptop for about a year (Toshiba 1.8ghz 1GB Ram) and it had virtually ground to a halt. Even with all the fancy aero turned off.

I backed everything up, took the plunge and have installed Windows 7 on the understanding that if it went to shite I would reformat it and roll back to XP.

Well I am amazed. No problems whatsoever upgrading and the thing now flies like shit off a shovel. I would say it was just as fast, if not faster than XP. This is with all the fancy aero stuff turned on.

I can run photoshop, word, outlook and a whole host of other programs at the same time. All the drivers were already there. No crashing.

Seriously impressed with this Beta so I am going to leave it on there! I reckon I shall be installing it on my forthcoming Dell Mini.

6. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Bit scared of this sort of caper

7. The Groke

The Groke hot hail/Paging Dr. Beat

Worked very, very well for me so far.

I am not going to break-out the champagne just yet - after all, it is just what Vista should have been, but still - pretty satisfied with it.

8. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

wel saide frm havign to pay for vista in the first place if M$ are so please with this vista1.2 which is what 7 is then they should offer a free upgrade to all purchased (not OME) licences of the fucking thing to apologise for the abominbal launch issues with vista...

but i can't see them every being that bothered...

thing is i can see that this will turn off from march 2010 every two hours being a major pain in the arse which they should fucking well have learnt by now particularlly when they are unlikely due to the present economic climate to release before that date meaning that we have to stuggle on with fucking vista for another 16 months at least before seeing a new OS, sorry a not new but fixed version of an existing pos OS.

Don't get me wrong I like vista 64 but it uses to much of my ram for it's fat bloaty face and is too fucking slow by half...

this only becomes magnified when using 7 for a bit and popping back into vista.

I have to say 7 works out of the box better than Vista did still the DEP doesn't work, unless by crashing random programs for no good reason is in someway protecting windows... and it being auto turned on is shit. and WTF again this addresses my issues with Vista now but it doesn't address what I might want or expect from an OS in over 16 months time (eval last til june 2010 unlikely to launch before may 2010, even though fawning $ofties are coing like mac fanboys over it.

It's not revolutionary as an OS at all it's a good step up it's where Vista should have been when released we shouldn't have to pay for what is a point release not an upgrade. Fixing diabloical errors isn't upgrading the software it's making it work as intended.

9. The Groke

The Register reckoned it would be released to manufacture around August, so on the shelves and OEM around October...

Not sure if that is being optimistic though - like you say, current economic climate doesn't make it a great time for a big OS launch.

Reading between the lines of the last few mutterings from Apple, It looks like Snow Leopard might well slip back a bit as well...

10. Global Stoner

Looks like we've got some prices.

Engadget

11. Kid_Eternity

Kid_Eternity "You might be a lord but here comes the king."

£80 aint too bad...with how shite Vista has been I actually might be tempted by this...

12. Global Stoner

I'll be buying it, never had vista, don't think I could go back to use XP now after using it 3 months. It will be the first MS product I've paid for. :cool:

Now I've just got to decide what new hardware I want to buy the OEM version. I'm watching the price of SSDs closely....failing that I suppose I could always get another 4gb of ram.

13. GarfieldLeChat

GarfieldLeChat fucking awesome but wrong

more ram and 64 bit is the way forward it hums along with more than 4 i mean like scifi tv show fast... :D

14. Global Stoner

I'm finding 64bit on my new machine pretty dam fast, don't use over 4gb that often, so think an SSD would give me a greater speed boost. I'm not paying current prices for one though, but keeping a close eye on them.

15. joangracoffande

joangracoffande New Member

I've always waited a year or 2 after release, let everyone else suffer the bugs that MS should have fixed before release

16. Global Stoner

They have. It was called Vista. I've had no problems with RC1 so by buying early I get a cheap OS.

17. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

CNet UK has just finished an extensive test on Windows 7, and given it a very positive review. I can't wait!

18. The Groke

It is good.

I still prefer OSX for every day computing though.

Not for gaming of course - Win7 towers above Apple on that, but there are still a lot of thoughtful, useful and snazzy little features in OSX that Win7 just can't beat IMO.

Still - horses for course innit.

I am sure you will not be disappointed with it when you get your copy Ed.

:)

19. Divisive Cotton

Divisive Cotton Now I just have my toy soldiers

I've been using it for the past month now and it has been working without any problemo...

The only issue was with Adobe CS4 software although other versions seem to work well with it

20. editor

21. Refused as fuck

Refused as fuck "ethnic pakistani tosser"

Simplified version from ZDnet :D :

[​IMG]

22. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

Quite apart from the fact that doing upgrade installs is rarely a good idea, most of the upgrades you're likley to want to do you can do.

I don't think anyone could reasonably expect a 32bit - 64bit upgrade to work

23. grit

grit an ugly force for good

Exactly even with the option of doing a in place install, id format the drive and start fresh always

24. editor

Engadget's full review here: http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/12/windows-7-review/

This shake thing looks great:

25. Global Stoner

It’s great, really useful on a widescreen as you can just throw a window at each side and it sizes them both perfectly to fit the screen. Sadly if you add another screen, you can’t do it to that side.

I also really love the search feature, it’s a really fast way to find files and programmes, just hit the widows key and type away. I use this to launch more stuff then any other way already.

26. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

I'm going to install the 64bit version. Need to upgrade the firmware on the SSD for TRIM and better garbage collection. Thats recently been released (still beta but what the heck). Windows 7 has much better support for SSD to lower wear and increase write performance (supported by TRIM).

Just need to download the DVD of Windows 7 64 Ultimate. 3 hours to go.

27. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

Very smooth install and its working just fine. Very pretty, but one feature I relied upon for a about 10 years has been removed. The ability to allow the task bar behind other windows. This is well annoying, but I fail to believe that explorer is so radically changed. Bet the switch for that is still in the registry somewhere.

Blindingly fast now. Shockingly so. My machine was damn fast anyway, the install of Windows 7 has super charged it. Fastest boot to desktop ever. I'll time it when I get a moment, I reckon sub 15 seconds to desktop.

28. Global Stoner

How come you got yours early?

29. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

It's on technet, us hardcore microsoft nerds have had it since last Thursday. There's torrents of it too though I've not tried them.

30. Global Stoner

Fair enough, not desperate enough to torrent it as I'm already running RC1, I'll just have to wait a little longer before I get my pre order.