1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Windows 7 discussion

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Oct 28, 2008.

1. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

2. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

On my OCZ Vertex SSD, it took 5 minutes.
  3. grit

grit an ugly force for good

breaking news: ssd faster than spinning platters, fire hot, water wet, full storys at 11
  4. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

+ Internet posters need to brag about size of e-peen in shape of l33t hardware
  5. Sunray

6. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

Being a mere punter I'm still waiting for mine. Am I going to notice any differences going from RC1 to the retail version?
  7. grit

if your planning on buying a legit key in the next 90 days you can install it now
  8. Global Stoner

I paid for it months ago when it was at £45, just waiting for my copy to arrive in the post. RC1 is working fine, just wondering if I'm going to notice any differences with the final retail.

My net connection is far to flaky at the moment to contemplate downloading anything. :(
  9. jæd

jæd Corporate Hooker

Unless there was an Release Candidate 2 (RC2) then there shouldn't be any differences...
  10. Global Stoner

Fair point. :facepalm:

Just the ball ache of a reinstall then. :(
  11. Sunray

The version I'm running is the Release to Manufacturer version (RTM). This might differ a little from the RC1 version. Probably not enough to be noticeable.

They have taken out a feature of the task bar that I can't understand, why remove a feature. Its the 'allow task bar to appear behind other windows'. I've been using that for a decade, I have the task bar down the right. Doing that I can see each app description much more easily but it takes much more screen space. Without that setting its just obstructive, I've had to use auto hide which is just tacky.
  12. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

ugh. can't stand auto-hide. knowing where your target is before you move the mouse to it is right near the top of 'things you must do in a sensible pointer-driven UI'
  13. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

14. Open Sauce

Open Sauce Well-Known Member

15. Sunray

I actually feel sick.
  16. A Dashing Blade

A Dashing Blade Takes horses to water but can't make donkeys drink

How many PC's (all at home using the same interweb connection) will I be able to install a legit copy onto?
  17. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

The answer is clearly one, or it no longer becomes a legit copy.
  18. Sunray

If you run it on more than one on the same network it will detect that and disable one of the copies.
  19. Quartz

Quartz Error: custom title not found

20. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Stealth Llama

Got my retail pack of Windows 7 Home Premium delivered today from Dixons.

Last week they sent me an email saying:
    I hope Windows 7 works better than their calendar.
  21. Global Stoner

I've just got mine through...Curries told me I wouldn't get it before the 22nd.
  22. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

arses, so I missed the 50 quid, then the half price deal for Windows 7. Damn dithery div that I am. I'd have had to buy a new hard disk though for the non-upgrade version, though.

Remind me what's wrong with buying the upgrade version.
  23. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Unless you use it for professional reasons, I wouldn't be too bothered about buying a copy.

Upgrade copy is crap if you ever want to install on a fresh drive, or indeed a formatted drive.
  24. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

so, it's mostly if I had to reinstall the OS from scratch I'd have to install vista first, then the upgrade over it?

Well, professional reasons, and direct x 11.
  25. Lazy Llama

Lazy Llama Stealth Llama

As far as I can tell, the upgrade and non-upgrade versions are the same, in the UK at least.
  26. Sunray

Except for the above restriction. It will not install on machine that does not have an existing copy of windows already installed on it. It will still allow you to format the disk once it works out that the old copy is there if I remember correctly.
  27. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Yeah.

Is Direct X 11 supposed to some fancy new anti-piracy thing?
  28. grit

Direct X is a gaming API developed by microsoft that is used to develop against primarily dedicated GPUs however it also handles sound and input.

Some of the latest features in dedicated graphics cards are only available with the latest Direct X
  29. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Oh, sorry, I could have been clearer. I know what DirectX is, been a PC gamer for years. I just wondered why DX11 was being cited as a reason to buy Windows 7 as opposed to 'evaluate' it.
  30. grit

Direct x 11 will only work with vista and 7. So if you want to run it you need to be running either OS.

From what I've heard there is yet to be a release that really demonstrates the improvements so in my view its not really a good enough reason on its own to upgrade.