1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Cards

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by Johnny Canuck3, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Maybe you other photo enthusiasts can help me with this one....

They're coming out with more and more expensive memory cards. They have more storage capacity, and they have a number on them, that's getting bigger and bigger as time goes by.

Someone at Future Shop tried to explain to me once why the bigger number is a good thing, but in the end, I went with the cheaper card, with a lower number. The number on the card I use all the time is '4'. So far, the photos I've recorded on it seem to be working out fine.

I've read something about the bigger number being needed for video, which makes sense. But is there any benefit for a bigger number if you just make photographs?

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Turned out nice again

You can save more photos on a card with a higher number

3. zenie

zenie >^^<

Storage as a bigger number or write speed?

IMO it's better to have a few small cards than one massive one, if you lose that bigger one or it gets corrupted you're fucked. :)

4. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

If you mean the "class" it's to do with the write speed of the card. Video, particularly HD, needs this to be high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating

Just for photos, I imagine there might be a slight difference in time to save to the card if you're taking huge RAW files, but I doubt you'd notice much. SD cards are always pretty fast.

5. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

4 is the class rating. it's about the lower end of rating acceptable for video (the higher the class rating, the faster the card can accomodate the data from the camera, but class 4 is absolutely fine for stills. I tend to use class 4 or class 6 SD cards. There's no real benefit for the highest class rating cards in digi slrs above about class 6 currently, that I've been able to find.

6. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

This is what I do. I carry a couple of those hardshell card cases about the size of a fag packet, with 4 4gb or 8gb cards in each.

7. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies. I use 4GB cards with a class 4 rating. On a trip, for instance, I'll use one card for one or two days, so that if something happens, I won't get all my photos wiped out on one gigantic card.