1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manchester United 2012/2013

Discussion in 'football' started by imposs1904, Aug 27, 2012.

1. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

There you go.

2. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

Anybody know why De Gea was on the bench today?

3. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

Commentators reckon it was to thwart Saints master plan of putting him under an aireal bombardment.

After watching that big lump they had up front it is probably just as well.

4. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

It is a bit worrying how much the United defence struggles this season against crosses and teams with some kind of aerial threat - you would think that whoever United visit next would have to be absolute nutcases not to try and subject that defence to the same kind of bombardment, especially if they have a forward on their books who is big, strong and good in the air.

Oh.

5. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

we were very ropey last season as well, I put it down then to so many injuries throughout the whole team, I am hoping now that I was right and once we get a settled defence things will improve, but got to admit I am worried.

6. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

So De Gea should book a weekend break in the Cotswolds for when United play West Ham?

twistedAM likes this.
  7. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

Don't know when that is but I am hoping that once we get a settled defence he will get proper protection from the other players, but failing that, it certainly sounds like a plan.

8. Joe Reilly

Joe Reilly Well-Known Member

I think the long haul flights pre-season may be behind the general sluggishness (RVP apart who didn't go). Vidic will need a least haf- a- dozen games just to get match fit. Midfield being over-run - again. On today's showing Kagawa will need to beef up (working on it already apparently) a tad - though some lovely touches early on. Personally I'd like to see Jones (energy and muscle) in midfield. Smalling at right back would also improve things defensively, especially in away games. And there's still Rooney to come back. Him and Van Persie promise to be the best pairing the Premiership has seen since Berkamp and Henry. Not perfect but no need to reach for the tranquilisers just yet.

9. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

Agree with all the above except maybe Smalling for right back, I know he has his crazy moments but I think Rafael will end up making that position his own in the way Evra did on the other side, plus I like the balance he gives the team, swinging the ball in, which I think he does far better than Smalling and the fact that he is a RB by trade, I think Smalling plays better at CB as well.

10. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

imposs1904 likes this.
  11. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

12. happie chappie

happie chappie Well-Known Member

Midfield’s been a bit of a problem for some time tbh. Scholes is a welcome return but does paper over the cracks somewhat. I’d have been happy for Berbatov to have been given a chance to play there, before he was shipped out to Fulham.

Unlike Carrick, rarely gives the ball away cheaply, or loses it in possession, he can beat a player with skill and, more importantly, can score goals.

Anderson has been a great disappointment as well. In fact the overall goal scoring contribution from Utd’s midfield over the past few years hasn’t been all that great. For example

Carrick - 14 goals in 183 games
    Anderson - 7 goals in 147 games.

Perhaps an unfair comparison but Frank Lampard scored 16 last season alone. Gerrard scored 9.

I know the forwards make up for it but it would be nice to see more of a contribution from midfield.

I’m a big fan of Phil Jones, but I’m not sure he’ll be scoring too many goals.

13. Roger Allknight

Roger Allknight New Member

Rooney as play-maker?

14. big eejit

big eejit Just a poor bastard

Utd fans living down to their reputation.

m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gnm/op/sDVsvo5NY2mH5iLRAfqL-dQ/view.m?id=15&gid=football/2012/sep/15/manchester-united-liverpool-victim-chants&cat=football

15. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

That link doesn't work.

16. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

That chant has fuckall to do with hillsborough, United fans started singing it after the way you lot conducted yourselves around that little racist cunt Suaraz.

Glitter likes this.
  17. Wilf

Wilf Getting there

Maybe, but it was a pretty stupid week to do that chant, especially as they weren't even playing Liverpool (and, for what it's worth, I'm a Utd fan).

Maltin likes this.
  18. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Everton? Cunts.

19. sleaterkinney

sleaterkinney Well-Known Member

if you believe that, you'll believe anything

20. Voley

Voley "This huge hill of flesh"

21. Voley

They were singing about Suarez yesterday were they? At a Wigan match? When the biggest news story of the week was about how Liverpool fans weren't responsible for the Hillsborough disaster? Thankfully the management of your club doesn't believe this, even if you do.

Wilf and Dandred like this.
  22. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

True, however its not that shocking that some of them would sing such things given that they have been Munich-ed at nearly every opportunity by many of your lot for the past forty or fifty years.

23. Glitter

Glitter Prostitute womb god baby

It's sung every week and has been since the cup game at Anfield. It's no more a Hillsborough song than build a bonfire.

Deareg likes this.
  24. Wilf

Wilf Getting there

... and given that the words of the chant are close to how Liverpool fans have been portrayed over the years re Hillsborough it's a fucking stupid chant, this of all weeks. There are plenty of ways of getting stuck into Liverpool about the Suarez thing without using those terms. It's a hardly a sign that you are keen to express solidarity with the families of the 96.

Voley likes this.
  25. Glitter

Glitter Prostitute womb god baby

It's not just about Suarez tbf. That's was the catalyst.

There won't be any expression of solidarity for the families during a game at Old Trafford. Or at most games around the country.

All right thinking people are shocked and disgusted by what happened, everyone knows this. There's the odd bellend who'll sing vile songs about it regardless. But for the most part for football clubs not directly involved it's business as usual during a match. There's a long way to go for Liverpool fans and the families before they get the justice they deserve, this is a nothing story about nothing.

Deareg likes this.
  26. Voley

You're right. It's about the perception of Scousers being whingers with a collective persecution complex who should just STFU. Well they didn't and they got a report that shows that they were right not to.

27. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

TBH the moment idiot Liverpool fans stop the Munich chants is the moment I'll pile on the criticism about Reds chanting ill-advised shit about "victims". There are moron fans in every stadium around the country. The vast majority of Man United fans greatly respect LFC and their history, and vice versa for LFC fans WRT MU. Doesn't mean that you can't "hate" the club and their players.

28. Wilf

Wilf Getting there

Not often I agree with Ferguson, but this really would be a good point for both sides to stop all this shit. Won't hold me breath though.

Glitter and Voley like this.
  29. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

United and Liverpool fans have been singing songs about each other constantly ever since I started going to OT back in the mid seventies and must have been happening even before that, it is most certainly not a new thing and any fucker trying to say that it has anything to do with Hillsborough is using that disaster to score cheap points, I notice it is the usual suspects.

30. Deareg

Deareg Well-Known Member

That is a matter of personal opinion.