1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London festivals and outdoor events this year

Discussion in 'festivals' started by RubyToogood, May 12, 2006.

1. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Edited cos the fest is already on Ruby's list ... :oops:
  2. Nixon

Nixon peanut butter n.w.o.

Im gonna be out with the crusties to most of these event mees thinks..
  3. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Oops! :oops:

Failed to do this last night, got distracted. :(

Adding it now ...
  4. Nixon

Nixon peanut butter n.w.o.

I think this has just saved my summer.been down to a few of these already :D
  5. RubyToogood

RubyToogood Palacetinian

Some of the ones on the list are commercial/fairly expensive by the way. I didn't exercise much pickiness about this in the end. If it says it's FREE it is, if it doesn't, look at the link for more details.
  6. twister

twister may be some time

7. twister

twister may be some time

8. twister

twister may be some time

9. twister

twister may be some time

10. twister

twister may be some time

11. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

De La Soul are playing a free festie up my favourite park, Lloyds Park in Croydon on 15th July as part of the Croydon Festival which runs over that weekend.

[​IMG]

sorry this was supposed to be in the 'free' section. fuck it, you can't delete posts can you? bollocks.
  12. trashpony

trashpony The kittens are taking over the world

You can delete everything except for a dot . Which you can make white so it's really, really hard to see.

Or you could leave it on this thread and put it on the other one too :)

God I'm bored.
  13. El Sueno

El Sueno Dabbler

Yeah that's what I did. Helloo, btw! :)

I'm bored too, see.
  14. jodal

jodal Well-Known Member

Crazy!
  15. twister

twister may be some time

aint he just..:rolleyes:
  16. Louloubelle

Louloubelle Well-Known Member

Saturday 15th July – Sunday 16th July Turkish Fest
    London South Bank 2pm – 7pm FREE

Now in its third year Turkish Fest is back in London for the Coin Street Festival 2006. The event celebrates Turkish culture in London, with live music from the likes of Hakan, Group Tolerance, Canan Turan and the Turkish Classical Chorus. Visitors can enjoy traditional Turkish entertainment including belly dance and browse the stalls in a special riverside Bazaar. For a taste of authentic Turkey food and drink will be available throughout the event.
  17. Louloubelle

Louloubelle Well-Known Member

Sunday 30th July 1pm - 6pm 'One Year On'

"One Year On is about bringing together the diverse communities of Camden and taking a stand against the appalling acts of terror committed in our midst. We are reclaiming Russell Square as a place of peace, unity and friendship."

Up to 3000 people, including Mayor Cllr Jill Fraser, will be able to enjoy the free festival which features live music, DJs, story telling, meditation, dance and food.

Among the main stage line-up are Keisha White, Louise Setara, Natalie Williams, DJ Shorty, Mecca2Medina, Confidential Collective and SHAAM, the nasheed group that performed in St Pancras Church on the July 7 anniversary ceremony.

There will also be an acoustic music marquee brought together by world class guitarist Hugh Burns, including Franco Filippello who plays traditional Italian folk music.

Organisers, Camden Faith Communities’ Partnership (a multi-faith group of Vicars, Rabbis, Imams, Hindus and Buddhists) and Camden Council, hope the event will bring people together and help the healing process.

Cllr Andrew Marshall, Camden Council's Executive Member for Equalities and Community Development, who will open the event with the Mayor, said: “One Year On is about bringing together the diverse communities of Camden and taking a stand against the appalling acts of terror committed in our midst. We are reclaiming Russell Square as a place of peace, unity and friendship.

“We have worked closely with the Camden Faith Communities Partnership, the local community and those people caught up in the events of July 7 to organise a fitting event to continue the healing process.”

Mohammed Joynal, local imam and partnership member, said: “We all worked together to overcome the events of last July. We should all spread the message that we are humans and should act like that regardless of faith, colour or race.”

Confidential Collective, who will be performing on the main stage, say they feel privileged to be part of the festival. “It is the mixture of different cultures and diverse musical backgrounds that enable us to create the music we very much love and enjoy,” said band member Sam Cruikshank. “The showing of unity and strength in the community is something that we sincerely believe in and support.”

One Year On starts at 1pm and goes on until 6pm. At 3pm faith leaders will lead the audience in one minute’s silence to remember those who suffered and the impact the bombings had on the borough.

Nearest Tube: Russell Square

Buses: 7, 59, 68, X68, 91, 168, 188

Bit of a contraversial event his one as the CNJ has reported that the local residents, many of whom were traumatised by 7/7, don't want to have the festival. They feel it isn't approriate and that Russel Square is too small a place for a big festie, looks like it's going ahead anyway though. I felt a bit unsure about whether to post anything about it under the circumstances, but I feel it would be a shame if nobody went and the organisers obviously mean well.
  18. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

Orchestra on The Beach

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not.

19. guinnessdrinker

guinnessdrinker political refugee R.I.P.

burgess park, southwark:

5th august, boring thing called vibration, free. I won't bother.

6th august, el carnaval del pueblo, festival of south american music and culture where some of the most beautiful women in the entire world congregate. plenty of good food and drink. I'll enjoy it once again (look out for the local drunkard:D )
  20. citydreams

citydreams on the road again

Caucasian Chalk Circle: Free Open-air Theatre - The Scoop

Thursday 3 August to Sunday 17 September
    Throughout August and into September, the Scoop will host
    its most ambitious theatre programme to date including a
    revival of Bertolt Brecht's play The Caucasian Chalk Circle.
    Marking the 50th anniversary of Bertolt Brecht's death, the
    company revisits one of his greatest works, The Caucasian
    Chalk Circle. An epic tale of revolution, flight, love lost
    and found, bravery and cowardice, this powerful play tackles
    the fate of an innocent child, abandoned by his royal mother
    and rescued by a servant girl. Performed with a newly
    commissioned score by Joe Fredericks, Bertolt Brecht's life
    enhancing play pulls at the heart strings and serves as a
    pertinent metaphor for conflict everywhere.
    http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/154
  21. twister

twister may be some time

I love peckham

[​IMG]

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/DiscoverSouthwark/EventsSection/whatson/ILovePeckham/

wednesday night (2nd Aug), 7-9pm, peckham sq., live music

saturday 5th Aug, peckham sq., peckham festival with stuff going on..

(did get a flyer for these two things, but left it at work, will update when know more specifics..)

"On August 12 and 13 the streets of Peckham town centre will come alive with creativity. The weekend festival will showcase performances from many local groups as well as hosting some very special acts from further afield."
  22. citydreams

The London Mela
    Highlights of this year's festival include:

A European debut performance by Pakistani rock artist Atif Aslam.
    Nutkhut’s 'Bollywood Steps' - a celebration of much loved clichés of Bollywood films through bhangra, hip-hop, classical Indian dance, and salsa.
    'Tabla Blah Blah' - a collaboration between DJ and broadcaster Bobby Friction and leading Tabla expert Pandit Sharda Sahai.
    London Flavas - Radio 1's Bobby and Nihal will present the best in British Asian urban music.
    The Grand Trunk Road- a photographic exhibition which explores one of the greatest trade routes in South Asia.
    Other attractions will include Classic Mela, specially commissioned street theatre, The Kaleidoscope Project for children and a fantastic funfair.
    The London Mela is part of 'Ealing Summer'. For details visit www.ealing.gov.uk/ealingsummer

http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/asian_london/index.jsp
  23. Streathamite

Streathamite ideological dogmatist

after all that only a handful of us went to the mela. top day it was, tho I daresay it didn't help anglo-asian relations too much when rad nance kept accidentally whacking people with her helium-filled dalmatian balloon! :D
  24. Biddlybee

Oyster & Seafood Fair 2006

Friday 8 September - Sunday 10 September 2006

Hay's Galleria, London Bridge

[​IMG]

Sounds a little bit poncey :D but I've always wanted to try crab and never have, so I might pootle along on one of the days :cool:
  25. Onket

Onket Gertcha

That does actually look pretty good. Maybe cos I am very hungry? There's a pub crawl in Hackney on the Sunday though, remember.
  26. Biddlybee

I've got Friday off, so I'll prob go for lunch :)

Pub crawl?
  27. Onket

Onket Gertcha

28. rennie

rennie m'enfin!

I'm off that Friday so lunch sounds like a great idea!
  29. Biddlybee

Fancy meeting for lunch? :)
  30. citydreams

Two events across the river from Lambeth that you may be interested in this weekend:

On Sunday the Tour of Britain professional cycle race finishes in central London. The competitors will cycle a full stage that will start in Greenwich before crossing Tower Bridge and going up through the city to Hampstead Heath and heading down through Camden Town, Oxford Street, Marble Arch and finally completing a 20 lap circuit of the Mall. The event promises to be fast and furious with lots of men in lycra!

There is also a full programme of other events and races throughout the day - see www.tourofbritain. com for more information.

As well as the racing this event will offer the chance to experience a car free central London for most of the day.

Another event on Sunday that will be traffic free is the Regents Street Festival which will see the full length of Regents Street closed to motorised traffic.

This year the festival has a Spanish theme with Spanish food, wine, dancing, music and other Spanish activities including a sandcastle competition on a beach! Further information is available at www.regentstreetonline.com/festival /