1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG's dual-core Optimus 2X Android phone coming to the UK

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, Dec 17, 2010.

1. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Because my next phone is going to be iPhone or a decent Android handset so I'm comparing the two propositions.

2. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

Kinda seems to me that your mind is more or less mind up on that score, no?

I mean, if you prefer the way Apple does things, and you're happy with their compromise of gloss and slick over more user choice and a more open platform, then I can't see you switching. After all, you switched from the HTC Desire - a phone some declared to be better than the iPhone 4 - to a 3GS!

3. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Yeah, the Desire was disappointing, but I still live in hope of an Android handset becoming an iPhone beater. I'm not an Apple fanboi by any means, in fact, historically I've been one of the bigger pro-alternative voices on here. I just happen to think the iPhone is still the best handset and OS available. But stuff like HDMI out piques my interest considerably.

4. editor

But there's the thing: I MUCH preferred the Desire to the 3GS, which would rather suggest that the iPhone's more your thing whatever any new Android phone might look like.

5. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

Yeah, it's certainly possible. But if the Android apps can up their game to rival the iPhone's then most of my issues would be answered.

6. wtfftw

wtfftw toasted cheese debauchery

Did you have an iphone before the desire?

7. editor

The only app that I couldn't find an equivalent for on the HTC was the Jamie Oliver iPhone one that Eme downloaded. I can't say that was too much of a loss :)

There are still a few niche areas where the iPhone wins on apps, but I haven't found anything - and I really mean nothing - that I'm missing, although for some it may be an issue.

There are advantages with the Android OS too - Flash support, better multitasking, wi-fi hotspot, memory cards/spare batteries and desktop widgets etc etc.

You pays yer money etc etc.

8. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

WTF, yes.

Editor, the equivalent apps, in my experience, were pretty inferior.

9. editor

One of the apps I use most on Android is Tweetdeck and the Android version is markedly superior to the iPhone one. Same goes for the music player and photo app. That's not to say that the same doesn't apply in reverse for some apps mind. Most of the ones I use are the same on both platforms though.

10. wtfftw

righto.

11. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

But before the iPhone I had a series of HTC phones running on WM, the Nokia N95, a Blackberry and a Palm Treo. I'm not a blinkered iPhone user or new to the 'scene'.

12. stupid dogbot

stupid dogbot Haughty and Superior

:D

Course it is.

13. wtfftw

I was more wondering because I can see if you've used iphone apps and then moved to android you would probably miss stuff or be less happy with the alternatives. I've never had an iphone and utterly love my desire. It does everything my brothers iphone does and I prefer my keyboard and the openness and I don't use itunes.

I was merely curious.

14. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

I'd probably be the same had I not used the iPhone first. I suppose I'm the phone equivalent of going from a Mac to a PC and going "it's pretty clunky, isn't it?!".

15. editor

I'm typing this on my laptop while using my Desire as a wi-fi hotspot and connecting via 3G. That rocks!

16. wtfftw

Exchange netbook for laptop and that was me in the pub last week. :thumbs: I usually just browse from my phone tbh. My netbook is slower and dodgy at flash.

17. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

I have tethering enabled on my 3GS.

18. Elvis Parsley

Elvis Parsley http://www.etsy.com/shop/Woodnting

wi-fi hotspot on the desire is ridiculously easy isn't it? a couple of colleagues at work don't have permission to access our wi-fi, so i let them jump on mine using wi-fi hotspot. they were dead impressed, i felt a little smug

19. editor

Not quite the same though, is it?

All Desire users have to do is press 'wi-fi hotspot' and then have people instantly sharing their 3G connection over wi-fi. It's a brilliant feature and one that I'm really appreciating right now seeing as I'm nowhere near a phone line, let alone a broadband connection.

Have to say that o2's 3G connection is well nippy too.

20. nick h.

nick h. Eat

Slightly OT, but how much does data cost on 3G these days? Do you get decent speeds, or do you have to train your browser not to load the graphics?

Oh, and Happy Christmas!

21. ChrisFilter

ChrisFilter Like a boss.

It's not the same at all, no.

22. mauvais

mauvais ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Maybe I'm just old now, but I really don't see why you'd change from say a Desire to this, unless you have massively more money than sense.

23. editor

If the camera proves to be a lot better than the one on the Desire, that's all the justification I'd need...

24. mauvais

mauvais ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

As I said, then :D

25. editor

If the camera's good enough to take sellable photos, then there's a good chance it's end up saving me money.

26. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

Would be nice, but can't see a camera phone being able to do that!

27. editor

28. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

Interesting...things are getting better. :)

TBF I've got some great pics from camera phones before, but they've always been in perfect conditions and its one area that smart phones could do better.

29. wtfftw

One thing I'll say for the n8 is that the camera is nice.

30. nick h.

nick h. Eat