1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lens haze

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by fractionMan, May 1, 2012.

1. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

There's a lens going cheap on ebay because there's some internal haze. Aparently it doesn't effect the picture quality :confused: It's going for about 1/3 of the normal price (it's a second hand consumer film lens that's normally 75 quid or so that's reasonably well regarded for the price)

What is haze, what causes it, can I get rid of it and does it impact picture quality?

I've read a bit on the web and some people note no apparent effect, others saying it does. What say urban? Worth a punt?

2. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Lens haze is something you get on older lenses in particular. Modern lenses are treated with a special coating that prevents it from gathering. It is basically a deterioration in the glass by atmospheric pollutants, mould, dust etc.

It DOES effect picture quality, most noticeably the contrast. Thing is... you can get some quite interesting results with mucky and scratched lenses.

3. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Cheers firky. I was wondering how it could not affect the pictures taken tbh. I'm gonna skip it.

4. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Itll probably be ok, but it will just get worse.

5. cybertect

cybertect Now up West

If it's got fungus, store it well away from your other camera gear or it may spread, especially in warm and humid conditions.

6. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

Is there actually any reason not to use or keep a lens with fungus in it?

I got a Zenit SLR with a Helios 2/58 lens that works well and I like, but which definitely has something which looks like fungus in it, odd white tufts round the edges and a few small white clumps in the middle that definitely aren't dust. It may be unusable in a few years but, well, it survived since 1980ish.

I've heard things about fungus spreading but tbh I've also heard things about this being a bit of a myth, in that there are mould spores in the air all the time everywhere and it's the storage conditions and exposure to UV that makes a difference. In any case it's not sitting in a bag with other lenses in storage, it's sitting on a shelf.

7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Fungus does spread. Believe me.

Keeping silica gel with your camera kit stops it, but I still wouldn't wanna keep a fungified lens with non fungified lenses.

Keeping your kit with silica gel is just good practice imho anyway.

8. stowpirate

stowpirate skinflintish camera nut

You can even have cracked elements and still get quality results.Here is an extreme test of fungus filled lens:

http://www.deansphotographica.com/deans_of_idaho/old_stuff_pages/dirtylenstest/dirtylenstest.html

9. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

Well, one of the lenses I bought not only has some weird haze, it also has some weird red fibre in the middle. Not fungus, more like some bit of a cleaning cloth that got stuck when someone tried to remove the haze imo.

It's terrible :D

10. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

I'm wondering about this again now. I scored a cheap OM-2n on eBay (it had a broken self timer and the winder sometimes needs two strokes, neither of which I give a shit about) but there are some odd blobs on the 50/1.8 lens - no tendrils or fluff but tiny spots with slightly irregular outlines. No effect on the pictures, which are great. Fungus, or just, well, some shit that doesn't matter?