1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon ultraportable looks stunning

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by editor, Aug 8, 2012.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Global Stoner and stuff_it like this.
  2. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

Is that a selling point now?

I like shiny adverts.
  3. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel MCU, MA in CW fwiw, NWUK

I'd prefer no shiny adverts on laptop cases myself

that's a sweet looking Lenovo, Ed - you gonna manage a blag for 'review purposes'?
  4. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

Spill-proof and backlit keyboard in a device that slim. That's some achievement.
  5. editor

It is to me. I'm not a fan of spending money for a device that comes with a built in illuminated advert neither do I want a super shiny laptop that attracts attention to myself when I'm out.
  6. editor

Love to , but seeing as I'd peg my chances at zero to minus a zillion, I'm not too hopeful!
  7. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel MCU, MA in CW fwiw, NWUK

this^^^ Lenovo and IBM laptops just feel more utilitarian from the get go - so there is less 'shiny, shiny, scared to use the new thing' going on in my head...so I get more done (I think)

Sent from my Lenovo
    editor likes this.
  8. editor

9. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

Workaround solutions Numer 624: for an additional £19 you could buy one of these. No illuminated logo, no shininess. :D
    [​IMG]
  10. DrRingDing

DrRingDing PotValiantFenman

That does look very nice indeed. I'll have to wait a few years before affording one mind.
  11. editor

Why would I want to spend even more money sticking whatever that black thing is on my new laptop and adding more weight?
  12. mattie

Out of interest, what's the fascination with ultra-thin laptops?

In terms of transporting and usability, it's not really the thickness that's the problem.
  13. editor

Lightness and portability do it for me. A big fat heavy laptop with a crap battery life doesn't have quite the same "pick me up and take me everywhere" appeal.
  14. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

It's all very relative, though, isn't it?

Like, comparing a 13" Macbook Pro and a 13" MacBook Air - there's 600g in it, and the barest smattering of millimetres hither, thither and yon.

I can appreciate that's a big deal for some people, but your rather simplistic dichotomy doesn't really do justice to the nuanced variations between 'ultrabooks' and smaller laptops.
  15. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

Buttons at the top of the touchpad? :hmm: Is this what the kids are doing these days?
  16. peterkro

peterkro I sing this for the Crickets.

Every time I see some git with a MacBookPro and its shiny screen I think I must get an alternative and then think there are none.This laptop may be it.
  17. editor

The differences are rather more pronounced in the PC world.
    It's because it comes with Lenovo's 'nipple' as well as the touchpad. Not for everyone, but I much prefer it to a touchpad.
  18. mattie

I ask only because my X220 isn't exactly a burden, but it's pretty damn tubby compared to that.

Going for the ultra-thin seems to me to be an end in its own right, and a bit more connected to marketing than to utility.
  19. editor

I disagree. Most people would prefer a thinner, lighter laptop and some - clearly - are happy to pay extra to do so.
  20. mattie

I'm sure some will pay for something functionally preferable, but I'd argue many will pay for flash looks.

I remain unconvinced shaving 2 or 3mm thickness off makes a huge functional difference. Shaving a few hundred grams off, yes, I'd agree, that's useful.
  21. editor

Generally the differences in size and weight are far more pronounced than that. Your X220 is a high end ultra-portable, but most of the laptops people will be upgrading from will be far more lardy.
  22. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

Christ, I would love something like this to save me having to lug my brick of a work laptop to and from the office on my bike. However, the chance of work getting one for me are similar to the chances of Ed getting a review model.
  23. mrs quoad

Really?

My Dell XPS 1330 was a bit of a fucked up shape, but (IIRC) it's a smidgen off a MBP in terms of weight, and it's got an even smaller (IIRC) top-down profile.
  24. editor

Yes really. The Dell XPS 1330 was billed as a super lightweight laptop at the time " one of the thinnest laptops in its class".

Most laptops aren't.
  25. mrs quoad

It's a total effing twat at the back, though. Battery-arse like J-Lo.
  26. editor

So the X1 will be a hell of a lot smaller and lighter then.

So what is your point here? :confused:
  27. mrs quoad

In terms of weight, and essential front-end thinness, the difference is not that great.

What is the point you're missing there?
  28. editor

Most laptops that are a few years old are big bulky heavy things compared to ultrabooks. Why do you fail to understand this concept?
  29. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

And of course there's the fact you can set things up that need a middle mouse wheel to treat the nipple as that instead of the pointer. Essential for some software.
  30. editor

It's a robust beast too. These are some of the tests it went through: