1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Led Zepplin to play at Glastonbury 2008?

Discussion in 'festivals' started by Firky, Jan 2, 2008.

1. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

So you wouldn't enjoy it, and given your antipathy to camping etc. (and nowt wrong with not liking camping!), you probably never would enjoy Glastonbury. But as I said, no-one's trying to make you come along.

I still think that criticisms based on what you've heard/read in the media/read on the net run the danger of ending up exaggerated and inaccurate. You risk taking everything people like Bouncer The Exaggerator says as gospel and seeing what I and newbie say as mindless loyalty, because you START from a preset hostile position. People like newbie, myself and especially free spirit all have criticisms too, but ours are surely more informed, because while yours have SOME truth in them, they're based on not having been and thus emphasise and exaggerate the negatives too much and ignore the considerable positives.

Got to go.
  2. William of Walworth

My point made for me ... you never would like Glastonbury under any circumstances, even if NVP got his way and all jugglers were shot ...

Glasto is pretty different from T In The Park btw, but that's another story. Gotta go.
  3. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Surrender your women and your intellectuals!

Well, I came along because this was a thread in the Music forum, and I posted my take. In another thread I contributed to at around the same time I said I wasn't keen on Bloc Party.

People however, told me I was "trumpeting my disapproval" (newbie), wrong, and peddling misconceptions. William said: "Danny : I have huge respect for you on these forums, and rarely disagree with you about anything really, but on this one, newbie knows the score and you don't".

I'm happy to explain my position. It's quite fun, as it happens. :)
  4. Mapped

Mapped Perth, Oz

I can recommend Sziget highly, we went in 2006. It's 7 days so you get your money's worth and you are on an island in the centre of Budapest so get to see a wonderful city too. A thermal spa is a great hangover cure :) Entry is a bargain (I think we paid £70 for the week) and drinks are very cheap. We couldn't score any illegals at all all week though, but for a 7 dayer that was probably a blessing in disguise.

I have heard less than glowing things from freinds about Bennicasim (sounds like Reading fest in spain), but I wouldn't mind checking out Exit.

I'm going to try Glasto again if we can get tickets as I had a wicked time last year and I'm owed a dry one as I've never been when it hasn't been a mudbath.
  5. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

So anyway, Led Zeppelin to play glasto? Well heres Mikey E from the beeb today:

He has not revealed any names from the line-up, but when asked by the BBC's Points West programme about his aim to attract a younger audience to Glastonbury: "I'm putting on a black American headliner, who's absolutely terrific that's going to appeal to those people."

----

Who could that be I wonder?
  6. William of Walworth

Absolutely! :cool:

hard to leave this thread :oops:
  7. danny la rouge

This is another thing I don't get about festivals. Tickets went on sale for Connect without any names being announced. Why would you buy tickets when you don't know who you'll see?
  8. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Michael Fucking Jackon :(
  9. William of Walworth

Some mud 2004.

2005 : A fair bit more mud on the Friday night and through Saturday after a five hour deluge. But hot dry and sunny before and after (ie the Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (daytime) and Sunday of the festival).

Terrible mudbath throughout nearly all of 2007.

1995, 1999, 2002, 2003 : all dry, all with some sunshine, and in the cases of 1995 and 2003, actively hot.

Way to go with the accuracy, historian boy! :rolleyes:
  10. Firky

2005 Wasn't that muddy, it dried out very quickly (apart from the flooded areas).

Because Glastonbury is more than the music, I still went to Glastonbury when Coldplay played, ffs :D
  11. nosos

nosos Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm not criticising you. I'm just saying it's a really pointless argument, even by urban standards. :D
  12. William of Walworth

The strong word is Kanye West. No comment there cos I know nothing about him ...
  13. felixthecat

felixthecat embarrassing mother

1. It isn't for the amount of entertainment you get. I always treat it AS a holiday
    2. It is sometimes very very muddy, agreed. But sometimes its gloriously sunny - you take your chance.
    3.The toilet facilities are perfectly adequate - definite misconception there!
    4. True - if you don't like camping you won't like glastonbury
    5.The sound quality varies with the stage - depends on where you are.
    6.Remember, you don't see ALL the acts! Pick and choose and do other stuff in between
    7. The catering covers almost everything - I'd be very suprised if you didn't find things you really enjoyed.
    8. It is as expensive as you want it to be - I've done it very cheaply and I spent a fair bit of money - again, you choose.

It isn't for everyone, true, but its pointless running the place down when you don't obviously haven't been there in a few years.
  14. bouncer_the_dog

bouncer_the_dog I draw things

Trolling to the Glasto-vangelists maybe due to prodding their over-priced over-hyped mud-caked sacred cow.

Boo hoo :( sorry for upsetting you WoW but your reasonable perspective is that Glastonbury is the awesomest event in the history of time.

Its fair to say that there are a great number of acts at Glasto. And not just the bands - although I has seen loads of great bands there over the years.

And it certainly has its place in history. Lots of epic stories and excitements have come from there. But when even Eavis moans about the lack of young people at the festival you have to wonder if it hasn't seriously gone off the boil. No post bean field battle convoys of crusties nowdays - just Kate Moss helicoptered in.

My favourite bit is the outdoor circus field - which in 2007 was so dangerously muddy I was surprised people weren't badly hurt trying to pass it. It was of course shut.

And the festival is glorious in the Sun - but the rivers of shite and sticky were not pleasant in the rain. And it was overcrowded in the camping areas. For a festival that costs so much and shouts about how brilliant it is - its amazing how badly organised it is from the lack of drainage, crowded bottle necks to faltering sound systems.

The food at Glasto costs Between £5-7 an item. The beer is at least £3. Most stall holders regard it as their most profitable event of the year. The high prices and captive audience equate to a licence to print money for those guys (who knows how much the festival taxes them for their presence). There is some great food there - but you have to pay for it! At 'The Park' they tried to charge me £8 for two bowls of chips! "but they are potatoe wedges" they said... "£4 for a bowl of fried potatoes you couldn't even be bothered to turn into CHIPS!!" :mad: :mad:
  15. danny la rouge

But I've already explained what I mean by expensive: I compared the cost with a family holiday abroad. It is more.

Furthermore, I explained I wouldn't pay £50 to see Cats, nor would I pay £40 to watch a football match. Those, too, are expensive. (I wouldn't pay anything to see either as it happens, but I'm still shocked by the prices).
  16. david dissadent

david dissadent New Member

Just been across to efests where they have Kanye West as a very strong rumour to headline.

Edit damn these fucking fast moving threads grrrrr. WoW beat me to it.
  17. Firky

Oh no, he's too bitches, guns and bling for Glastonbury.
  18. Random

Random Ethnic nalgocrat

nope, getting too old
  19. danny la rouge

Yes, several people have said that, but nobody has really explained what that means. Except that I'm not allowed to count crusty jugglers.
  20. nosos

nosos Well-Known Member

I got stuck in the mud there and randoms had to pull me out :oops: :(
  21. bouncer_the_dog

bouncer_the_dog I draw things

Way to go missing the point - I stated those dates to put off 'you weren't there man' comments. I am aware of which of those festivals were and weren't muddy. I have a graph I made stuck on my bedroom wall.
  22. Firky

Oh come on they're fucking guffing! A lad I know who was in the Army compared Glastonbury to some of the refugee camps he saw in Bosnia :D :D
  23. William of Walworth

Erm ... that was my guesswork based prediction, based on a none too mathematically accurate law of averages. Or at least law of luck! :D

Forecasts can go down as well as up ... ;)

I still think we'd be extraordinarily unlucky if we don't get a dry and probably sunny Glastonbury in 2008. We're owed, a sitting-down-friendly festival well overdue ...
  24. david dissadent

david dissadent New Member

Anyway my tuppence. Glasto has changed. The vibe is down to 6\10 and the crowd could not handle the mud. Unlike the past.

It is still very very much worth it as a music festival and IMHO worth the cost, it is just not to the "cannot ever ever miss one" that it used to be.
  25. felixthecat

felixthecat embarrassing mother

Dunno which ones you used then - all the ones I used were fine :confused: . If my ocd handicapped daughter can manage, then so can anyone!
  26. Firky

It is just a really good atmosphere, lots of people enjoying themselves, plenty of sights to see that you normally wouldn't, good food, beer and cheer, you're often there with your mates etc. There's also something quite amazing about sitting up top on either side of the valley at night and looking down on this medeval camp below, thousands of camp fires twinkling away and vegan poi artists.
  27. William of Walworth

He clearly never went to any of the toilets more than an easy walk away from the main stages/main markets then.

The worst are bad all right, but the majority of those set away from the main areas really are fine -- they're cleaned 3 times a day nowadays, which never used to happen. Go for the longdrops (rather than the Turdises) away from the main stages and you'll be fine.

Admittedly the vast quantity of mud all around the toilets and even in the cubicles last tiem made things worse.
  28. Firky

They're not somewhere you would choose to park your arse though and they reak in the summer. I was quite lucky as I could use the ones behind the stalls in the jazz field which were pretty much clean but the long drops are pretty rank.
  29. danny la rouge

And I'm sure you have a great time. However, I don't like camping, and would want longer than 5 days.

I want it to be a lot cheaper than £154 per ticket. Can I choose that? No, of course not. It's fine if people think it's worth that. I'm not saying they shouldn't go. I'm just saying it's a hell of a lot of money, and I certainly wouldn't pay it.
  30. William of Walworth

He's never been ... just to state a fact he stated himself.