1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Le Tour de France 2011

Discussion in 'general sports' started by beekeeper, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

David Harmon caught a bit of online twitter flak apparently for suggesting that this year's race was very clean, hence the levelling-out and the levels of exhaustion/fatigue/fuck-off-ness. Which is slightly strange when you think about it i.e. him having to point out that he wasn't defending anyone.
  2. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

They went up every mountain substantially slower than the winners used to. This was by no means a less talented field. In my view, that points to the Biological Passport. By itself it doesn't stop people from doping, but what it seems to be doing is drastically limiting the amount of doping they can do. If your blood values start jumping around the place wildly, it will show up and most of the really effective doping methods are about tampering with your blood. Which, at least in theory, means that clean riders can be competitive even if some of their rivals are charging.

Voeckler said in one of his interviews that even if he had the same legs he had in this Tour, he couldn't possibly have kept up with the leaders in the mountains in 2004.
  3. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Clean as a whistle and still finished 13th in 2002. Must be depressing riding clean - especially back then.

Agreed on Radioshack, although they weren't helped by some terrible luck.
  4. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

I've been wondering whether some riders have been having a quiet word spoken into their ear as a result of changes in blood values that *suggest* doping rather than *proves* doping, iyswim.

That and Bertie getting pinged last year after his sample was sent to a lab with more sensitive equipment than normal. Probably the first time the testers have been ahead of the dopers (assuming Bertie did dope, natch).
  5. Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud 893 all the way.

I have heard the rumblings on Moncoutie before but his performances have been pretty up and down. Gaumont (busted from Cofidis and later fingered Millar) said he was the only member of the squad who wouldn't take anything, even an aspirin.

At this point in the curve you would need to be some blindingly naive optimist to think he didn't.
  6. Paulie Tandoori

Switch on 5live for sports report at 8.30 this morning, they talk about the cricket, they talk about boxing, they talk about pre-season friendlies in the football, they talk about swimming, they talk about everything apart from Mark Cavendish winning the green jersey :mad: He's said before how little regard is given to cycling generally in this country but I thought that took the fucking biscuit. What he's done this year is unprecedented and those fucking muppets at Shepherds Bush couldn't find the enthusiasm for one single fucking mention.
  7. 1927

1927 Community Statesman

Did you not know that if the BBC dont have the rights to a sport it doesnt exist. FACT.

Apart from Premier League football which is a little hard to ignore obviously.

You'd have thought even the beeb would have to acknowledge the largest spectator sport event in the world tho!
  8. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Was more in case any lawyers happened to be passing ;)
  9. trampie

trampie Ba..ba..blacksheep Banned

The most impressive thing for me was Evans mental attitude, on the Galibier he could have given up on winning the tour, he was nearly four and a half minutes down and halved that by the finish by chashing on his own, also the next day on the Telegraphe he stopped twice and was something like a minute and a half down, yet he got it all back, all the tour de france riders are physically strong but this tour was won by mental toughness as well, he could have given up on winning on either occasion, he had come close/had bad luck in previous tours and could have thought its in the stars that he wouldnt win it.

On one downhill decent when it was wet, he apparently took his foot of the gas, which i was impressed with, some people thought it a mistake as he could have been expected to take time off his rivals, but why take a chance of crashing out he was in a good position overall and indeed he did go onto to win it, a good mental choice.

Also he had no help in the mountains, the Schlecks rode together and Contador and Sammy Sanchez rode together, all in all, Evans was a worthy winner.
  10. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

Tour of Poland, Eneco Tour, Vuelta, World Champs... the season is far from over.
  11. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

BBC breakfast had the Cadel Evans getting the yellow but no mention of Cav getting the Green, it's stupid why cover half the damn story, if they didn't have the time dump the shot story about balotelli doing a cheeky backheel and fucking up in a meaningless freindly.
  12. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Not so easy to make my boss work the rota around the best stages for a race she won't have heard of. Not the same if you're not watching it live with a few beers.
  13. Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud 893 all the way.

Positive on both A and B samples for Clenbuterol - you don't even need to add the word 'allegedly'.:)
  14. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

We know you're not meant to talk transfers until August, but has anyone heard any reliable rumours about Cav's movements or otherwise? Sky have been bandied about, but would they sacrifice Wiggo, G and Eddy BH and any GC/breakaway chances for Cav's train?
  15. Nigel Irritable

They'd be well advised to. Cavendish is about as close to a sure thing as you can get in cycling.

You are right about there being potential conflicts though. Teams which are serious about winning the Tour don't bring sprinters these days, and they certainly don't bring a team full of riders to support the sprinter.
  16. Paulie Tandoori

Beyond some of the personal connections, I really can't see an obvious benefit to Cav from moving to Sky - however, maybe having now won the green jersey and 20 stages, he might fancy something different?
  17. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Cav should be a shoo-in for Sports Personality of the Year but it's not in the BBC's interests to do it as they don't show road racing. Hoy got it for riding round a few circles but I can't see Cav getting it.
    Out of interest, when Button won the F1 Championship, was that sport still being shown on ITV?

There's all sorts of talk that Wiggins, Thomas and Swift will forego next year's Tour to concentrate on the Olympics.
    Also, if a star like Cav joins a new team they usually get to bring in a couple of riders with them. But could Sky afford Cav, Renshaw and Eisel.
    i hope HTC doesn't fold.
  18. stavros

At the moment, for me, it's Cav or Judd Trump for SPOTY, but we've still got the athletics World Championships and the rugby World Cup this year so I'll hold fire on trying to call it yet.
  19. yardbird

yardbird Understands love.

Watching/listening to Cav on radio5 - I like him.
  20. Termite Man

Cav is great.
  21. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

HTC is no more:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/aug/04/htc-highroad-mark-cavendish-sky

22. Paulie Tandoori

I find this news absolutely astounding tbf. Lost for words that a pro-team can come off the back of such a successful tour, as well as their other successes, and the sponsorship deal falls through :facepalm:

More or less clears up where Cav is on the way to tho, I suppose....
  23. Nigel Irritable

The central problem for cycling teams is that they have no reliable source of income other than sponsorship. No ticket sales. No TV rights. Just sponsorship money. It makes them inherently transient and it means that with very few exceptions people follow individual riders more than teams (the exceptions being mostly quasi-national sides like Euskaltel or Astana).

HTC are one of the bigger budget teams in the peloton. The economic situation is difficult on a world wide scale. Getting a sponsor to cough up the kind of money a top Pro Tour team needs is a tricky proposition, and HTC was only going to get more expensive next year because up until now Cavendish has been on a contract he signed before he was the unrivalled top sprinter in the world.

There's also the Lance effect: a bunch US based teams (and sponsors) came to the fore in the wake of Lance's celebrity which transcended the niche status of cycling in America. Now that effect is gone and the investigations and scandals around Armstrong and Contador may even be an active hindrance to a team looking for a sponsor.

It's shit for all the HTC riders who now have to go and find new contracts, particularly for the domestiques. And worse again for the women pros if the HTC women's team goes under too.
  24. Nigel Irritable

Today's stage of the Tour of Poland was well worth watching.

Edited to add: There's a video up here. It starts with Irish Brummie Dan Martin ahead of the pack by about 10 seconds after dropping everyone on the second last climb: http://tinyurl.com/3o3fcyr
  25. Paulie Tandoori

I don't disagree with anything you're saying but this is almost equivalent to Man U saying, hold on, Rooney costs far too much, that's it, we can't go on and off he fucks. It's bizarre, for a team that I read today are probably the most successful pro racing team in the world over last 4 years. And yes, it's very shit for all the people affected by this.
  26. Nigel Irritable

Yes it is bizarre and, yes, HTC are the most successful team, year in, year out. They don't win the very biggest races, but they win an unbelievable number of them.

It's a team built pretty much entirely around Cavendish, but even if you took out all of Cavendish's results, they'd still be one of the most successful teams. Even discounting his wins, they won Milan San Remo and Paris Nice and took a Tour stage. That's a good year by almost any team's standards.

If Cavendish does go to Sky, with a bit of luck there'll be a bit more public interest in Britain's greatest current athlete on a British team.
  27. stavros

Will it make it more likely that the Digger will buy up the TV rights to all the Tours, Classics, track worlds, etc?
  28. beekeeper

beekeeper bzzz

I certainly hope not. - It's bad enough some F1 coverage has moved over there!
  29. Paulie Tandoori

Thor Hushovd to BMC apparently
  30. Termite Man

I'm going to be doing stage 6 backwards* when I get over to france on my bike.

*lisieux to dinan not cycling backwards.