1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Le Tour de France 2011

Discussion in 'general sports' started by beekeeper, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

Stage victory for Tony Martin :D :D :D :D :D
  2. Termite Man

And Cadel wins the yellow.
  3. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Btw I watched it on an illegal Eurosport stream as I'm at "work". Next year I'm definitely taking out a monthly subscription. No more Liggett. Ever.
  4. Termite Man

green Jersey to decide tomorrow. Should be another good day.
  5. butchersapron

butchersapron shoot 'em in the back

Fair play cadel. It's yours.
  6. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

He has been in bits since he went over the line, bless.
  7. Termite Man

He has earnt it though.
  8. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

There were a few things he did wrong, particularly throwing away a minute on that wet descent and losing a few seconds to his main rivals on one of the hilly finishes. But if I've done my sums right, I think that Evans won by more time than those incidents cost Schleck. I'm not really sure what he could have done tactically different that would have made much difference. He simply couldn't drop Evans when they started a mountain together, which is what he had to do to be able to do to beat him. Perhaps he should have gone all out on in the Pyrenees to give himself more opportunities to do so, but realistically everyone at that point thought that he would drop Evans hard at some point in the Alps.

It's funny, if you look back to the early part of this thread, we were arguing about whether or not third place was a viable goal for Evans! Fair play to the guy, an amazing win. He won't be remembered as one of the biggest talents never to win a Grand Tour now!

Also, I agree with the people who've been saying that the times on the climbs are encouraging. They were consistently minutes slower than they were a few years back.
  9. Termite Man

I thought they Pyrenees were a disappointment . No-one seemed to want to win it at that stage, if Contador had not lost time for the crash at the start I think things would have been very different.
  10. Nigel Irritable

I think that if Contador had been in peak form and hadn't lost time early that it might have been a much duller affair. The guy shouldn't have been in the race, but to be fair to him he doesn't ever settle for the minor places, he always races to win. Which in this case meant that he attacked and attacked in the last week and hugely animated the race. They should give him a time penalty every year!
  11. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

well done to Cadel although winning on a time trial feels a bit anti-climactic way to win a tour to me, especially after the thrills and spills of the past 3 weeks. but he grinded through the mountains over past few days, which is why he got the chance today so enough respect for his TT ability.

hope Cav can sort things tomorrow, a fanatastically intriguing race this year, Tommy Voeckler is the man of 2011, he showed more passion, commitment and dedication than has been seen for a long while and he's done bike racing a service with his brilliance.

[​IMG]
  12. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

It's been the best TdF I've watched, and I watched Lemond V Fignon, largely because on the penultimate day only the polka dot jersey been settled. Now we have a final day with a jersey still up for grabs. Just brilliant.

If Voeckler had only had a couple more teammates of the class of Rolland, then he might well have had a real chance. As it was he's going to have to put up with his contribution to the Tour being a massively heroic failure. For that reason I hope he's in a larger team for next year. I believe he's proved himself to be at least a viable GC contender for a top flight team.

Both the Schlecks remain frustrating. They clearly both have the physical capability to do far better, but somehow it never quite works out their way.

A superb ride by Cadel Evans, regardless of what anyone else did or didn't do, he was far more aggressive than he's been in the past and it paid off.
  13. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Contador, last year. :) Before that it was Pereiro in 2006, although Landis got the trophy in Paris.

Fair play to Evans, using the Indurain tactic I mentioned the other day, staying with the climbers in the mountains before blitzing the TT.

And go Cav for a Paris hat-trick tomorrow. :cool:
  14. Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud 893 all the way.

On todays evidence you wouldn't believe they earned their living riding a bicycle. Part of the problem is arrogance I think (evidenced when complaining about downhill finishes and Evans not working with them on AdH), they now have a team built around Andy and no doubt a brace of yes men telling them how great they are. Perhaps they believe their own hype....TTs remain a massive hole in their repertoires but it goes deeper than that, of all the top riders I think A Schelck would be the most tactically deficient if there were a complete radio ban and having his brother around seems more of a hindrance than a help most of the time. Can't say I'm that bothered about their lack of success, they are students of Riis afterall.

Its more of a level playing field than it has been for a generation...I hope it stays that way. I think the French smell their fortunes may be changing for the better in years to come.
  15. Nigel Irritable

His team was about to go under last year, after their sponsorship agreement ran out. He refused to sign with another team, even though some of their other stars were doing so, because he didn't want to be responsible for 50 people losing their jobs. They made a deal with Europcar purely because he agreed to stay. He won't be going anywhere.
  16. Termite Man

Cav for green today :D
  17. ericjarvis

ericjarvis give a feck for the feckless

In which case I hope they manage to raise more sponsorship thanks to his heroics. I really believe that Voeckler could have won if he'd had more support at the sharp end of stages. Rolland was amazing, but Europcar simply couldn't supply him with the sort of support Contador and the Schlecks had.
  18. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

19. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

brilliant, i'm so happy for him, great ride by HTC today and fantastic to see him win the green jersey and take the win on the Champs Elysee
  20. Maggot

Maggot Grubs up!

Congrats to Cav. Is he the first Brit to ever win a Jersey?

Can't believe he said he's not gonna have a drink tonight - just have an early one and prepare for ther next race.
  21. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Not quite; Robert Millar won KoM in 1984.

I thought this might be the year that Farrar stepped up and truly challenged Cav, but it didn't really happen, and Petacchi was anonymous throughout to be honest.

I hope Cav gets a chance at some point to go for three stages in a row, or even four as Cipollini did in 1999. It depends on the layout of the first week I suppose, and of course whether he stays at HTC or not.
  22. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Apparently he is Europcar's GC man. Showed real class supporting Voeckler so well.
  23. butchersapron

Forgot to say well done Cadel you weirdo.
  24. alfajobrob

alfajobrob Well-Known Member

He's as funny as fuck and a well deserved winner, he loves his animals as well :)

25. dlx1

dlx1 I had an Interview :)

26. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Well if we're posting funny Cadel vids...

Anyway, don't know what I'm gonna do until next year....
  27. butchersapron

I think the heavyweight posters - siggers and 2am - would both think he's clean?
  28. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

BMC soigneur caught with 195 doses of EPO. Bu then Moncoutie was clean when everyone else at Cofidis was doped to the gills so that doesn't mean shit. Always regarded Evans as clean, but that may just be because he was such a nearly man.
  29. butchersapron

"the boy" goes into heavyweight poster pocket
  30. Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud 893 all the way.

BMC were bent circa Phonak and weren't helped by Astana (BMCs by stealth) getting busted with Vino's overnight blood boost and Kashechkin, Kessler and Mazzoleni all failing dope tests in the same season...Ballan has been anonymous post bio passport introduction and Hincapie is ex USPS...who knows.

You can never be 100% certain in this game but Evans has a bulletproof rep for being clean from the MTB circuit. Additional to this is his consistency - his progress and sustained performance has no massive spikes unlike all of his rivals - he has always been there. The tour got compressed this year, his rivals were brought down to his (natural) level by a combination of team changes breaking established practices and greater scrutiny via the bio passport system. I still think its crazy that the UCI do the testing and revenue collection ..providing a lovely hot petri dish for corruption* (*also see FIFA). But you just had to look at the TTs and climbing this year with your eyes, non of the impossible shit pulled by Contador and Schelck of even 2 years ago in evidence.

Moncoutie? Cleaner than a very clean whistle. Natural HCT of 36. I know an ex neo pro who had Moncoutie as his domestique in a development squad in the 90s and roomed with him - vouches he's clean. Generally the French are clean anyway. If you really want to see what the withdrawl of an organised doping system does to performance look no further than Radioshack and their abysmal, anonymous showing - surely the most surplus team of what was a thrilling tour.