1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Le Tour de France 2010

Discussion in 'general sports' started by twistedAM, Jul 1, 2010.

1. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Fignon's book made a subtle mention of the nation's post-Franco success in sport.
    As for the tennis player, you;d suspect him just by looking at him...and his injury periods.

2. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

3. chintz

chintz cider driven madness

Was watching eurosport too :(

thoughts with his family and friends

4. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

Just seen the report of this on the news, a terrible tragedy, RIP Wouter.

5. Paulie Tandoori

Paulie Tandoori shut it you egg!

heard about this just now down the pub, awful news.

6. Nigel Irritable

Nigel Irritable Five, Ten, Fifteen Years

7. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Anyone watch the Giro today? That last 10km on the Monte Zoncolan was truly evil. Contador didn't look too troubled and leads, although it could all be worthless after the CAS meeting.

8. Nigel Irritable

Unusual to see Contador beaten by one of the other favourites on a climb. Still, being marginally the second best on his worst day and easily the best on most of them is more than enough to win the Giro. The likes of Rujano or Anton can compete with him once in a while, when they're feeling great, but the only guy who can nearly match him over a three week race is Andy Schleck.

And yes, he shouldn't be there at all and hopefully the CAS will do the right thing.

9. stavros

Schleck's two and a half years younger than Berti too, so has more scope for improvement. He also has the ultimate domestique in Frank. If Berti does survive to the TdF, it'll be great to watch.

10. Nigel Irritable

Bloody hell, Xavier Tondo has been killed in some freak accident involving a garage door falling on him.

11. Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud 893 all the way.

Valverde got to keep his Vuelta while under investigation so I'd not be so quick to think Contador won't do the same.

On a general note - surely the Giro is a big enough race to warrant its own thread?

12. stavros

Duffield and Kelly on the Eurosport stream I got seemed to say that he could get stripped of the Giro win if he loses, so I'm only going on what they said.

I think it would be big enough to get its own thread if it was on free-to-air, as it should be, but there possibly won't be enough people watching. As I said, I was lucky enough to find a good stream but it'd be so much better if the Beeb or whoever bought the rights, or Eurosport went Freeview.

13. Sigmund Fraud

Sigmund Fraud 893 all the way.

no cycling thread would be complete without you bemoaning the lack of terrestrial cycling action Stavros - go back to 2003 and you'll see its something you've mentioned *more than once* :D

14. Nigel Irritable

Eurosport's current cycling coverage is by far the most comprehensive anglophone cycling coverage ever. Terrestrial broadcasters would never just put on hours of cycling day after day throughout most of the year.

15. ITV4 were showing cycling last night, the Tour series.

16. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Still nothing compared to Eurosport. Last week on my day off I was able to watch Live Giro in the aftrnoon, Live Tour of California in the evening, and highlights of the day's stage in the Giro after that.

They show all of the classics live and highlights, the tour of Basque, Giro, Vuelta, and TdF all live and highlights. And no Liggett to be seen or heard.

Worth the cable subscription on its own.

17. stavros

It's nice to be recognised. I'm still right, even if I have discovered streaming in the last year or so.

18. stavros

I enjoyed today's stage, especially how Nibali just wiped out a 30 second deficit on the descent in a couple of minutes.

19. Nigel Irritable

Balls of steel that lad.

20. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

I find myself watching the expert descenders with a mixture of admiration and dread. Been some scary descents this year.

21. Nigel Irritable

While the experts do stuff that looks absolutely terrifying, they are probably in less danger than the less expert guys descending in the peloton. The main field is still going down at speeds which are borderline insane and not all of them are particularly gifted at it. And if you are descending in a group, you aren't just depending on your own skills, you are depending on the rider in front of you not making a mistake and the guy in front of him.

Russ Downing, the Sky rider, was flipped off his bike down a ravine today because the rider in front made an error on a descent. He landed in a tree, climbed back up the slope and carried on and promptly crashed again two corners later. He was extremely lucky.

Wouter Weylandts actually was a good descender who had a freak accident on a descent which wasn't regarded as particularly difficult. The Crostis descent, which was taken out of the course in the wake of Weylandts death, on the other hand was tempting fate. Contador said that he'd been driven down it in a car and even then it scared the shit out of him. And while Contador has his faults, cowardice isn't one of them.

22. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

All very true. Doesn't make it *look* any less terrifying.

Anyway, Wiggins in yellow in the Dauphine.

23. beekeeper

beekeeper bzzz

Well done to Bradley for winning the overall at the Dauphiné. - I hope he's going to be able to stay closer to Contador and Schleck this time 'round at the Tour. Can't see him win it though.

24. Nigel Irritable

His fourth place was a fluke. There are simply too many people who are capable of dropping him like a stone in the mountains and there's not enough Time Trialling for him to make up the difference. Top 10 is a possibility though.

25. beekeeper

beekeeper bzzz

You're probably right.

Is Andy Schleck fit enough this time to win it? - I'm not too confident after his showing in the Tour of California (I know - he wasn't in it to win it) and how today's stage at the Tour de Suisse went (even though it wasn't a mountain finish).

What do you guys think?

26. Lo Siento.

Lo Siento. Second As Farce

this gonna turn into a 2011 thread soon?

27. beekeeper

beekeeper bzzz