1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Latitude 2008

Discussion in 'festivals' started by cliche guevara, Feb 28, 2008.

1. cliche guevara

cliche guevara Well-Known Member

I bought tickets in the pre-sale, and rumours are now beginning to trickle through for the beautifully quaint Latitude.

So far the rumours are:

Flaming Lips - Playing Bestival on the friday, and Lovebox on the sunday, seem very likely, one of the most popular choices on the Latitude forums. Personally I think they would be perfect.

Sigur Ros - Another forum favorite, and the organisers have been looking at the forums for ideas. Q magazine have stated on their website that they can't announce the headliners, but "think glacial". It's Sigur Ros or Bjork, and Sigur Ros seem more likely.

Saul Williams - Self confirmed. But would he play a music stage or poetry tent? i think he'd make a special treat for the poetry tent.

Atilla The Stockbroker - Self confirmed. I know nothing about them, but have been told they are poetry with music.

The Hold Steady - Recently said that they are really keen on playing Latitude again. They'll be in the country at the time. Went down really well last year, and were clearly having a great time.
  2. Lisarocket

Lisarocket In bed with me dinner

I reckon the forums are right about Sigur Ros. They are just right for Latitude.

Atilla (not a them, a him!) will probably be in the poetry/spoken word tent. He seems to be doing the rounds this year.

I really enjoyed Latitude last year. Hopefully i'll be there this year if it all goes to plan.

I wonder if the naked poet will be there this year...;) :hmm:
  3. cliche guevara

I'm going to try to spend a bit more time in the poetry tent this year, I barely touched it last year, but heard so many good stories from there. If the sigur ros/flips rumours are true it'll make my year.
  4. Choc

Choc non sense!

anyone know when it will be?

i'd like to go to this one this year :)
  5. Augie March

Augie March Well-Known Member

British Sea Power are a strong tip too I reckon, as well as I'd imagine Simon Amstell in the comedy tent since he'll be touring near by at the same time.
  6. cliche guevara

17th - 20th July.

Funnily enough I'd posted exactly that on the Latitude forums, but didn't see it as worthy to put on the above list as it was just my guess. A lot of people seem to agree though. There's even call on the forums for live Never Mind The Buzzcocks, but I can't see that happening.
  7. ethel

ethel Well-Known Member

i want to go. i probably can't afford it though :(
  8. cliche guevara

If it helps at all, tickets didn't sell out till quite late last year, giving you plenty of time to save up.
  9. foamy

foamy Sheinhardt Wig Company

woo hoo :D

must get some tickets soon :oops:
  10. The_Reverend_M

The_Reverend_M More bass, vicar?

If the F'Lips play I could be tempted :cool:
  11. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

So far, Flaming Lips are confirmed for the new Camp Bestival in July (in Dorset, googlit) but not, so far anyway, for the main Bestival on the Isle of Wight in September.

Just to clarify like :)

Would like to try Latitude one year, but we're doing too many others this year! :eek:
  12. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

Attilla the Stockbroker is a legend! :eek:

His sets with John Otway from a few years ago had the Cabaret Tent at Glastonbury PACKED :cool:

He's brilliant IMO, one of the original performance poets from the Punk era -- still ranting, angry, political and funny as fuck after 25 odd years -- listen out for 'Doggie on a String" :D :p

More recently, actual musical instruments have been more much more part of the mix ....
  13. Tort

Tort Well-Known Member

Must be more than that! I first saw him with the Newtown Neurotics at Bergholt Earth Fair circa 1982! :p
  14. The_Reverend_M

The_Reverend_M More bass, vicar?

He did say 25 ODD years :rolleyes:
  15. Tort

Tort Well-Known Member

I'm very well aware of how ODD he is :p
  16. cliche guevara

Line up is announced on Wednesday at 6.45pm on Radio One.
  17. Lisarocket

:cool:

I don't listen to radio 1 though...:hmm:

Still think Sigur Ros or Portishead may be in the lineup.
  18. cliche guevara

Franz Ferdinand confirmed as headliners. That's a bit shit. Thought Latitude had a bit more to it that that, oh well, here's hoping the second stage headliner that night will be a good 'un.

On the plus side, Bill Bailey confirmed for comedy.
  19. ethel

ethel Well-Known Member

aw....i like FF.
  20. Lisarocket

Franz bloody Ferdinand :mad:
  21. Augie March

Confirmed acts so far are:

Sigur Ros
    Interpol
    Franz Ferdinand
    Elbow
    Death Cab For Cutie
    M.I.A.

In the Comedy tent:

Bill Bailey
    Phill Jupitus
    Rich Hall
    Ross Noble
    Simon Amstell

Plus in the Music and Film arena, Mark Lamarr will present a live selection of soul, ska, reggae, country, gospel and rap. Which sounds ace. :cool:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/080319e.shtml
  22. ethel

ethel Well-Known Member

i want to go. stupid bank balance.
  23. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

dunno, looks a bit weak atm.

:(
  24. Augie March

The Breeders have confirmed too now. :cool:
  25. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

I'm tempted. Mighty tempted.
  26. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

Pricey, but payday tomorrow, so have bought three tix. £460 odd.

It will sell out quick i hear. So get in while u can...
  27. Augie March

From efestivals:

Sounds.. err.. interesting! :D
  28. veracity

veracity unspecified

I'm going! Really excited it looks great :)
  29. Lisarocket

Really excited by the poetry and literary arena this year. Loads of great stuff on including an old mate who i was in a band with many moons ago:cool:
  30. cliche guevara

Guilty Pleasures was absolutely fantastic last year, only went there briefly, but they were playing the cheesiest shit ever (Gloria Estefan, Wham! etc), and everyone was so fucked it was brilliant. Latitude is a pretty family friendly festival, but this is after the bands have finished and the families have gone back to their Winnebago's, a time for the proper drunks and pill heads to dance away to absolute rubbish, and love every second. Was pretty homoerotic too :D