1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lambeth Rent increase

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by thriller, Mar 2, 2012.

1. thriller

thriller Last of the world's good men

Well got a letter today from the bastards to say rent has now gone up to £108.36 per week.

Sack of shits. :mad:

labour, Cons, Lib. all the same. cunts.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Poster of the Year 2004

how much has it gone up and what do you get for the money?

3. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Base for your face

Mine has increased by £25/month and I don't even get my recycling bags delivered.

4. thriller

no idea what the hell i get in return. just pay it and get on with life....

5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Poster of the Year 2004

and how much has it gone up?

6. Laughing Toad

Laughing Toad Turn the volume down please.

It's probably the rent for your home. If you didn't pay it you wouldn't be allowed to live there. That's usually how it works. Why don't you call them, and ask.

7. marty21

marty21 insidious agendas everywhere

AFAIK, the rents are increased using a formula which is basically the inflation rate in the previous September, plus 1.5% I think, inflation was around 5% so the increase is larger this year than it was last year when inflation rates were very low the previous September. It's still well cheaper than equivalent market rents - plus you have security of tenure.

8. rover07

rover07 has a shining car.

It pays for repairs to your house.

9. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

a carboard box?
    a bedsit?
    a 25 bedroom mansion?

10. Laughing Toad

And another thing. You don't just 'get on with life', you started a complaining thread about having to pay your rent.

11. _angel_

_angel_ urban myth

Same here. Just under £75 in Leeds.

12. Voley

Voley And a rovin' a rovin' a rovin' I'll go ...

Complaining that your rent doesn't cover delivery of recycling bags is a bit daft, really.

13. rover07

rover07 has a shining car.

Yes, that would come under Council Tax not rent.

14. thriller

£28.72 per month.

15. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

:eek:

16. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Ours just went up from £95 and change to £101 and change per week. More than a 5% rise.

17. ViolentPanda

6.5% sounds about right.
    You can bet they (the councillors) were masturbating about inflation being 5% though, at least here in Lambeth.

18. ViolentPanda

Oh, if only you knew what a joke that is!!

geminisnake likes this.
  19. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

This is what all those people who don't live in council houses and think that people who do live in palaces, have absolutely no idea about

20. ViolentPanda

Yup. Even when there was money available, Lambeth generally left/leave everything until actual failure of something before replacement. As I've said before, they made do and mended the windows here for years (with peoples' windows falling out of frames that were absolutely rotted out) before reglazing the estate, and they only did that because of a grant. There's people on this estate still managing with the original (wasteful, noisy, underpowered) boilers because their boilers are still repairable (usually with a wing and a prayer until they fail again). As for the crappy state of the paving on this estate, if you've got a mobility problem (and this estate has a higher-than-average concentration of elderly and disabled people), you're taking a chance of broken limbs unless you pay very close attention to what you're doing.

I love my flat, don't get me wrong, and I know that compared to the poor sods in HA and private places, my rent is cheap, but the days of Lambeth keeping their housing units decently-maintained is about 30 years in the past.

Brixton Hatter and Mrs Magpie like this.
  21. Laughing Toad

If it's so bad then why don't you move to private accommodation, and let someone in who appreciates it. I'd love the opportunity to live in a council house.

22. bi0boy

bi0boy .

So you think the rents should be higher, to fund better repairs?

23. ViolentPanda

Because private accommodation is more expensive, has even less likelihood of being well-maintained, and has less security of tenure.

BTW, I do appreciate it, as you'd have noticed if you'd read the whole thread before charging in. :)

24. Greebo

Greebo Laquelle lettre de "non" n'as tu pas compris?

Find somewhere which accepts DSS, charges a rent within the HB limits for 2 adults, and is disabled accessible (including a walk-in shower, not one over a bath).

I'm feeling generous, you can have 2 weeks to do so. BTW it needs to be within spitting distance of more than one bus route and within the catchment area of the Water Lane surgery.

25. ViolentPanda

Are you asking a question, or attributing an opinion to me? It's hard to tell.

I think that, far from rents being made higher (as is unfortunately going to happen for new tenants), they could be kept as they are, and central govt could stop creaming off the £1 billion + that they take from local authorities every year from their rent accounts.
    yep, that's right - because local authorities finished paying off the majority of costs of building social housing, and show excesses on their rent accounts, central government takes that money and uses it elsewhere.
    So much for local authority social housing being subsidised, like the Tories claim, eh?

26. ViolentPanda

Laughing Toad doesn't really care, except insofar as they can have a whine and a dig.

27. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

I've been in my property since 1985. If I'd bought it, I'd probably be near paying the mortgage off by now, but unfortunately, I don't earn enough to pay a mortgage

28. bi0boy

bi0boy .

I thought the funding system had just been reformed, and councils were now able to manage their own rental income to service their current stock, relocated debts and new stock as they see fit.

29. Greebo

Greebo Laquelle lettre de "non" n'as tu pas compris?

Even so, I'd like LT to get an idea of how scarce accessible housing is, compared to the rest of really affordable housing.

Mrs Magpie likes this.
  30. ViolentPanda

Not "been", more "is in the process of being", and it's unfortunately too little, too late in some cases, especially as many local authorities quickly cottoned onto the fact that this move by Messrs Pickles, Shapps et al means they'll be playing "catch up" with an ever-decreasing housing stock if said ministers get their way with reference to extension of "Right to Buy".
    I think that the expression is "Hobson's choice" - the local authorities had little choice but to go along with these "reforms", even though they realise that, all told, the reforms will bite them in the arse.