1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lambeth Country Show - 2008

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Not a Vet, Jun 25, 2008.

1. mango5

mango5 pillow of the community

I've just got back from the early shift, ensuring cider is bought to order and the rest. I had a nice time on me tod, gave Vic a devoted audience for a while too :) It was dry, warm and nice all afternoon, without need for a groundsheet for sitting. Will be back for the late shift tomorrow complete with picnic.
  2. snackhead

snackhead Am I??

I wandered along earlier just as the sun was coming out and I DID A LIVE LURK :oops: around 3pm positioned by the Liquorice Rainbow stall as the cider queue opposite grew even busier.

and also caught The Thirst's storming set, ate loads, danced, bumped into people I haven't seen since I was a lil'un and ate and drank a fair bit. Happy days...............................

One question though- why was the tent for Lambeth Music Services empty except for an old lady sitting on a white plastic chair ? :confused:
  3. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Is it that time already?

My favourite thing was this lil fella. So cute.

[​IMG]

And what a hairstyle this one had lol.

[​IMG]
  4. mango5

mango5 pillow of the community

Come along tomorrow and say hello! :)
  5. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Wicked day, I give it about 9.5 out of 10!!

Good time and the weather (although a bit crazy) hung on in there for the day. It was busy enough to buzzing all time but not to spoil anything.

Loved the Essex Dog Display Team nearly as much as the food and the cider. Missed the birds of prey but went over to their stall and chatted with the team there.

I don't normally drink cider after a nasty teenage experience but the Chucklehead stuff was great. I could actually feel parts of my body going numb one by one. Visited thier website and reckon that we might have to treat ourselves to 20 litres (35 pints) one day in the summer as it works out about £40.

:D
  6. playghirl

playghirl Well-Known Member

I missed yesterday as I went to the celtic fulham game. So looking orward to going today!!!
  7. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

Had a fantastic day yesterday and doing it all again today :)
  8. liberty

liberty Secret Smile

Need to catch that one today :)

(Mouse will love it)
  9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Big pork pies are funny
  10. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I had a great time, and the good things have been mentioned but the fact it's now being run by Lambeth shows and not in a good way.

The flower tent was very disappointing compared to previous years. I know the sensory installation for kids with disabilities is close to the road, but it didn't look 'inclusive' at all. It appeared very segregated from the rest of the show. Also the crash barriers around cooking equipment at the back of the stalls is obviously a sensible idea, but again, it feels less inclusive as people with mobility difficulties have to walk much further as there are practically no cut-throughs. Despite the promise that people with disabilities are supposedly better off this year that's absolutely not so. The main arena is a third of the size that it was (on the maps the small arena seems much bigger!) and there's less space for the public to view the events as a lot has been fenced off for the public. Also the straw bales for the less brisk and spry to sit on at the arena edge are no longer there. A lot of old favourites have been priced right out of the show and that's a very great shame. Where are the Cromer Smugglers?
  11. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

Had a great day too... shame I can't make it back today. Not sure if this was the winner or not, but was quite cool:

[​IMG]

One of us must enter jam next year!

They were the best display I saw, even better than the ferrets.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    She will love it... bit like a bigger Baron.

[​IMG]
    I'm sure there were about 10 photos taken of that!
    I know what you mean MrsM... everything did seem a bit scaled down; didn't really explain why the sensory installation was so out of the way though.
  12. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

maybe they thought the noise of the crowds might be a bit overwhelming for the users of the sensory installation. i dunno.

had a good time. just wandered around a bit and bought a big wooden mushroom for me garden. nice day :)
  13. Greebo

Greebo czy zamilowanie jest odpowiedz, co jest pytanie?

It wasn't bad, just not IMHO as good as other years. It seemed a lot more difficult to find anything than the last few years. Still, found the flower tent and the Chucklehead stall, so not a complete waste of time.:)

BTW did I miss it (by only going on Sunday) or was the library not selling any old books this year?
  14. RubyToogood

RubyToogood Palacetinian

Um... was I so engrossed in conversation that I, like, failed to spot them, or did Aswad actually just not play? :confused:
  15. golightly

golightly I've been gentrified. - :(

I don't think they did. Some guy came on stage laughed a bit and told us all to fuck off. :cool:
  16. RubyToogood

RubyToogood Palacetinian

That's what I thought.

If they didn't play, that's one almighty cockup.

I had a great time on the Saturday - it was lovely to see so many urbanites old and new (like 12 days old new!), enjoyed all the usual stuff etc.

But a few points:

Increasing the price of the pitches must have really backfired given that there seemed to be about a quarter of the usual stalls there, and everything seemed to be twice as expensive.
    The village green stage was a big screwup because the PA was just not up to the job. Even when standing quite close to it, it was nearly inaudible over the sound of the main stage. There was no real atmosphere or anything to look at on the village green consequently. Apparently the scheduling was so screwed that one of the bands didn't play on Saturday too.
    There seemed to be a lot of marquees whose purpose was mysterious, and the sensory zone was totally unexplained too.
    On the plus side I liked seeing all the community groups in one marquee - I went round and had quite a few chats/collected leaflets.
    I only discovered "Council Avenue" last thing on Sunday. Absolutely gutted that I missed out on the excitement of the planning department stall.
  17. golightly

golightly I've been gentrified. - :(

I didn't think that was particularly well planned. It felt like an area to steer clear of rather than being accessible to local residents.
  18. dynamicbaddog

dynamicbaddog Well-Known Member

I had a nice time :cool:cos I had to cycle home I did'nt drink too much of that chucklehead cider, instead I concentrated on buying huge amounts of fudge and sausages ( I shall probally be eating lemon,pork and fennel sausage for the rest of the week - but the second box of fudge I bought is nearly all gone already:oops::D) I enjoyed watching the jousting and the seeing the farm animals and of course it was good to see so many other urbanites there:)
  19. Choc

Choc non sense!

i had a top few days.

only disappointment was the village green area. i don't think its a good idea to put the stage on top of the hill. it was nicer to look down the hill at the band stage.
  20. dogmatique

dogmatique merde alors

Had a lovely day as always, but we all thought that it was just a little bit "thinner" than previous years - many of the tents were much sparcer than usual, the main stage had much more room for DJ's as live acts were thin on the ground, dunno, it was just a general feeling that there was less...

And what happened to all the toilets?

Held a Wol though. Not all bad.
  21. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

I wasn't able to go this year :(

My friend told me it seemed a lot busier than other years and he didn't enjoy it as much
  22. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

It was a little disappointing this year.

Not sure how much that was to do with the weather. But there did seem to be less stuff going on generally, and the music on the main stage was a bit rubbish.
  23. rich!

rich! stalin tache

Put a fair few pounds in the Transition Town Brixton people. Damn booksellers.
    That row was funny. Kept getting "Where are you from?" "Nam. Tottenham". "Oh... that's ... not round here ... is it?" conversations. :D
  24. rich!

rich! stalin tache

there was music?

:D
  25. onemonkey

onemonkey winmonkey

that sounds just like the planning department approach to everything
  26. neilgrun

neilgrun New Member

hi U75, long time LCS attendee, first time poster.

Did anyone see Berkley Owls? I couldn't find them anywhere. We had them at our wedding in May and Andrew the owl dude said they'd definitely be there.

I had a great time this year but i'd like to echo the above comments about general sparse feel this year. Also, there was no reason to change the layout (apart from maybe attempting to hide the lack of vendors). If it ain't broke etc...

Fucking Lambeth council must be one of the least competent in the country. I suppose we should at least be thankful that it's still on at all. Bring back the events management company! And where were the steam engines?
  27. Cheesypoof

Cheesypoof Fuck off Noddy

i went, twas fun :)
  28. teuchter

teuchter *worse than Sean Connery in every regard*

I couldn't find the owls either.

Or the steam engines.

Sort it out, Lambeth!
  29. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Interesting to read peoples comments.

I have never been before so I guess I had nothing to measure this year against. Still had a wicked time but perhaps owls and steam engines would have made it better :)
  30. CharlieAddict

CharlieAddict nekomimi rocks!!!

i didn't realise it was on 'til i jogged through there yesterday morning.
    damn - those jerk and portoguese chicken stands smelt good.