1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kemble station and the surviving Cirencester branch platform – GWR magic!

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, May 2, 2012.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

Onket likes this.
  2. peterkro

peterkro I sing this for the Crickets.

That water tank in the background of first pic is a beautiful example of victorian engineering on the occasions I'm there i stand on the opposite platform and study the intricate cast iron bits.
  3. editor

It's Grade II listed too.
  4. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

I love how that picture on the railbus leaflet must have been drawn by someone who had never actually seen one, only had it described to them.

edit: doh, ignore above, have just read the railbus site
  5. BassJunkie

BassJunkie devotees straight on

I love how the railbus made a stop at a Halt called 'Trouble House'.
  6. a_chap

a_chap Welcome, my son. Welcome to The Machine.

"In 2002/03, a total of 195,000 million passengers were recorded using the station" - a remarkable figure indeed! :D
  7. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf cocoa buttery

And theres a nice pub next door
  8. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Even better news , the single line towards Swindon will shortly be re-doubled (giving much more capacity Swindon - Stroud - Gloucester) - even better , the funding came from the roads budget !
  9. hipipol

hipipol going down the long slide

The railcar didn't operate on the Ciren branch - in the pic at top, left of the water tower, was another branch line, the bed of which is still in place, ran through the uplands to Tetbury, it was alays single track except for a couple of stations
  10. editor

11. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I had an Airfix kit of that railbus type. According to the info with the assembly instructions it said that they were mainly to be seen in Scotland. I never saw one but then I was living in Devon at the time.
  12. hipipol

Not trying to be tricksy but I used the term Railcar - ie a GWR Railcar - the Railbus is a
    British Rail - will get pics etc tommorrow as I can barely focus on this daft tiny screen!!!!!
  13. Chemical needs

Chemical needs stirring

14. editor

Looks fine to me.
  15. a_chap

Are you sure that number looks fine? More than 195 billion people used the station...? I mean that would make the waiting room rather crowded. However the pub would do a roaring trade...
  16. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

There is a rather good YouTube video of a simulator of a GWR Railcar (as in 1930s design) making a journey to be found by searching - not wishing to hi-jack this thread.
  17. editor

That typo has already been pointed out to me thanks and I'll fix it when I get back, but what are you on about with this "static background" stuff? :confused:
  18. a_chap

Not me Gov, I didn't mention "static background".
  19. editor

Apols. But it does sound exciting.
  20. spliff

spliff suitably seedy

It only looks like static if you scroll fast.

Great pictures and that video at the bottom of the first link is absolutely wonderful. :)
  21. editor

My photos are not for fast scrolling!

:)
    spliff likes this.
  22. hipipol

I meant one of these

However this (link below) rather cmprehensive listing of the GWR railcar fleet seems to destroy my long held belef that they worked the Tetbury branch - I blame some idiot who showed me a pic of one at Kemble during an open day at Gloucester sheds when I was a kid - it probably did the journey once for some excursion

http://glostransporthistory.visit-g...OD_Terminal 1_Rolling Stock_GWR railcar..html