1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

karrimor gear

Discussion in 'threads and dreads' started by mattie, Dec 30, 2009.

1. mattie

mattie missing in inaction

I've just bought a pair of Karrimor walking boots in the Jan sales, decent leather with eVent lining (whatever that is, matey reckoned it was a poor man's Goretex)

I recall, however, that Mike feckin' Ashley had bought out the brand and reduced it to selling tat for sports soccer et al. The boots seem really good quality, are there two parts to Karrimor or should I expect the soles to fall off the boots in the next week?

2. dfm

dfm help I'm alive

Yep that's right. Karrimor went under and so did the quality. A real shame as they used to be well respected.

3. mattie

So, boots to decompose imminently?

4. Dovydaitis

Dovydaitis Official fishco fish groupie

i got a pair of karrimor walking boots this time last year from soccer sports as i didnt want to spend a fortune in case i didnt get back into walking. well, they have done a fair few miles and still going strong

5. temper_tantrum

temper_tantrum The beauty of the ride

6. mattie

Just back from trip, glad I bought hiking boots as Dresden and Berlin were snowed under.

Boots are Coniston, leather with eVent and Vibram sole. The underneath are the same, but with Weathertite and not eVent:

[​IMG]

Seem OK, soles a little stiffer than I'm used to so feet ached after long days walking around, but kept them dry (on one occasion my toes and heels were slightly damp, but I think from damp floor rather than boot leakage).

Any ideas for best care? The label simply says wipe with cloth and occasionally use water-based reproofing, but surely leather needs oiling/dubbing?

7. strung out

strung out (",)

subtitles should be fine

8. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

I have a karrimore hat.

It's hardly essential but it keeps my ears warm. Made from Polartec (whatever that is)

Just thought you would like to know :)

9. mattie

We should totally start a gang.

10. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel ^^^this^^^ but in a much bigger font!!!1!!

bollocks

is this why the frickin' zip has broke on my 5 week old coat :mad:

11. Bakunin

Bakunin https://robertwalsh.contently.com

I tend to buy quite a bit of army surplus stuff for camping out, walking and so on. Army kit is often more hard-wearing than civilian stuff, can be considerably cheaper and, being designed for squaddies, is also virtually idiot proof.

Although, to be fair, Hexamine stoves are often a sack of pants.

12. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

eVent is superior to Gortex, its way more breathable and I would now choose eVent over Gortex every time.

13. gamma globulins

gamma globulins plinky plonky

I took some army boots to a Scottish island a few years ago and it stripped the soles to shreds in under a week. God bless good old west Scottish granite!

14. joevsimp

joevsimp Well-Known Member

my boots survived 3 years of arse in the grass at Cadets, and 4 years of general wear and tear before being finally done in by leafletting for last years elections, finished off by the sticky floor at the Brixton Academy:D

had 2 pairs of karrimor trainers, first ones cost 20 quid and wore out no faster thanany trainers i've had at double that, and the second are still going strong

15. eoin_k

eoin_k An Sionnach Abu

I got through a pair in 6 months - I can usually drag a year out of similar shoes.

16. temper_tantrum

My Brashers did v well during a week of heavy wear and tear on a lava field, the soles were hardly touched, v impressed.

17. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

It's not as durable though, it closer to Gore Windstopper in construction then Gore Tex Proshell. That's not to say its bad and if you only get out a few times a month its a good choice.

However ultimately most breathable membranes are bollacks in terms of durability. I live and work and in my kit and have killed to many gore tex and event garments to consider them worth the money.*

For boots you can't beat good old leather that can be waxed and for water proofs then Nixwax Analogy fabric which is used in the Paramo range is dogs bollocks

* Apart from maybe trousers which need to be very lightweight and don't get worn as much.

18. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

19. Global Stoner

[​IMG]

Last pair of event boots I buy! The rest of the construction was ok for a cheap brand, but it took not time until they were as waterproof as tissue and no amount of reproofing made any difference.

20. temper_tantrum

was wondering if anyone rated Paramo. I like it, much more breathable and comfy.

Blagsta, sorry to hear of yr boots problem. Haven't had any myself as the fit is a bit narrow for me. Did you contact them to complain? Have heard good things about some outdoor kit makers in terms of returning goods.

21. Global Stoner

Yeah, but the military train to carry 80lbs+ into the field. Tbf some of the kit can be great, but there is a reason why a lot of squaddies replace it with civvi kit.

22. Global Stoner

Mine is 5 years old and after each reproof comes out almost like new. There is a reason why so many outdoor instructors where it.

If you see them wearing goretex, its because of a huge discount on it or work issues it and it will get replaced Paramo gives us a tiny discount (15% compared to 50% that most other brands do), yet I'd still buy it every time.

New garment against new garment goretex/event has the edge for being waterproof. 3 months down the line its a different story. This is also ignoring the fact that if you wear any garment out in the pouring rain long enough, it will get saturated and when that happens I know what I'd rather be.

23. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

I got them repaired, it took them quite a while though iirc.

I've currently got a pair of Karrimor I got for about £15 about 18 months ago. Much better than the Meindl and 1/5 of the price too.

24. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

I got a pair of Karrimor 6 months ago I have used them quite a lot, the lining is disintegrating and some bits of rubber are beginning to separate on the outside, they were only £25. Definatley lost the quality build it seems.

25. Global Stoner

We've got some old karrimor sacks in the kit store from before they went bust and the name bought. They are now a dirty white, but used to be blue. We use them to carry climbing kit to the crag, then run ropes over them to protect the cliff and they still going strong!

[​IMG]

26. axomoxia

axomoxia Well-Known Member

27. Global Stoner

In Richmond, just up the road from me. :D

I'm well tempted for a summer weight pair, although also love La Sportiva Hand stitched Italian Leather. I've got two pairs of winter boots from them now. :oops:

28. mattie

Forgive ignorance, but is there a specific wax that's good to use on leather boots? I've got dubbing for footie boots etc but I don't think it'll be the same thing. I know I can buy some reproofing for jackets - I've also recently bought a Jack Wolfskin waterproof and was advised to treat it every now and again - but I've no idea what to do with the boots.

I was a bit worried when buying Karrimor, I was hoping they'd be a seperate business (or part of the business) to the Ashley crap - and I got seduced by the half-price offer. I think they were £50, all the others were up nearer the ton.

29. Global Stoner

I use Nikwak Waterproofing Wax for Leather, applied with a finger, rather then a cloth, so it gets nice warm and if you do it quite regularly the boots will last a lot longer and application is easier.

The Karriomor event boots are fine for £50, nice and lightweight, no breaking in and if you only use them at weekends, should still last a while. Not worth the £80 or £90 I've seen them sell for though. Tbf I think most fabric boots aren't worth the recommend retail price as they just don't last compared to leather ones to justify it.

Out of intrest how are you treating your waterproof...that can have a huge difference to how long the membrane lasts and how it keeps you dry.

30. mattie

Cheers, will have a look in town for some.

I've not had the jacket that long so it's still OK, but I've been advised to wash it with a specific washing liquid and then spray it afterwards - which confused me, as I thought it was the lining that was waterproof, not the shell? Anyway, I bought it from Cotswold Outdoor in Brecon and all their washing/proofing stuff is NikWax (Although they don't sem to stock the wax, if website anything to go by, just conditioning spray for leather)

What's view on Jack Wolfskin, btw? It's got something called texapore. Seems OK, I bought it as there's a fleece zipped into the jacket that can be removed if only a light top is required. Again, on sale!

eta: Jacket is this, in dark olive:
    http://www.jack-wolfskin.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-327/398_read-2601/usetemplate-product/.