1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just passed my driving test but keep stalling my new car. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'transport' started by KellyDJ, Mar 20, 2010.

1. KellyDJ

KellyDJ New Member

I passed my driving test yesterday and finally got to drive my car which I bought about a month ago. Trouble is I keep stalling the thing almost everytime I stop and start off again. It's really frustrating as I do it about 3 or 4 times, even more if it's uphill, before i finally move off and keep getting beeped at which makes me even more flustered :(

The car I did my lessons in was a diesel and my car is petrol. Any advice please???

2. marty21

marty21 insidious agendas everywhere

I haven't driven a diesel, but there can't be too much difference, it's all about the biting point, as I'm sure your instructor told you, you'll eventually nail it, experienced drivers stall sometimes as well

take it slowly, practice a bit, it's probably just you getting used to a different car

3. IC3D

IC3D Post Mid Arc

my instructor says that the clutch with petrol is a bit trickier I'm sure you'll get better. I've never tried one

4. southside

southside Banned

Rev and Clutch balance, you need to be a bit more active on the throttle by getting the revs up a bit and lifting off the clutch slowly you'll get used to it though.

5. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Just bring the clutch up slowly, go and practice somewhere quiet it won't take long to get the hang of it.

6. KellyDJ

KellyDJ New Member

Thanks I'll go and have a little practice 1st thing tomorrow morning when it should be quite quiet.

When I learnt in the diesel car, I only had to bring the clutch up to biting point and it would go. In my new car, I have to put in gas as well which I what I can't get the hang of. Should I be putting in gas first then lifting the clutch slowly or the other way round?

7. blairsh

blairsh hamburger time

If you're on a flat surface you should be able to move away without any gas just using the clutch.
    I'd do what others have said and go somewhere quiet and get used to the biting point onyour car.

Well done and happy driving btw :)

8. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Diesels will pull away under much less throttle than petrol cars.

You will need to rev your petrol car up more as you let the clutch in.

Take some time to get used to your new car's clutch biting point, that is the point at which it starts to grip and transfer power.

Also experiment with revving the engine more as you get to the bite point.

9. dessiato

dessiato Galatians 6:10

Congratulations on passing your test. All you need is a bit of practise. Try and feed in the throttle as you reach the biting point. It is much easier to do on a diesel, but the basic principle is the same.

10. weltweit

I normally drive a diesel and am most used to diesel now. But I had a hire petrol car last week, it was noticeable that it needed much more revs to pull away and much more revs to accelerate when I was going along.

Hopefully I am getting my diesel back today. Can't wait !! :)

11. flash

flash I am simply not there....

Don't worry about giving it too many revs - I switched from a Corsa just before my test to a 207 - the biting point was way different and I kept going for the Corsa's biting point for a couple of weeks and spinning the wheels as a result (the Corsa needed more revs). Still bought the 207 when I passed though (and still occasionally light them up when I give it a few too many revs). Don't be afraid of making mistakes, and don't be intimidated by other people (e.g. if you don't think you can get through a gap and are holding people up - don't worry, it's your car not their's).

12. selamlar

selamlar is aware of the irony.

Practice practice practice.

13. KellyDJ

KellyDJ New Member

Thanks everyone :D

14. marty21

different cars can take some getting used to, when I got my current car (Golf) it took me a while to (a) work out how to release the cap for the petrol tank and (b) how to put it in reverse (it was different to my previous car, a Corsa.) :D

15. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

Lol @ flash. I've been driving of rover 20 yrs and still occasionally give it a bit too much gas at a junction. The wheels squeals and I drive off hoping folk don't think I'm too old for that kinda nonsense :D

16. weltweit

I was once given an old Vauxhall Cavalier estate to drive to Heathrow to collect a VIP for our company.

I stopped at a service area from which I had to reverse out of a space. I could not get it into reverse, it just would not go across and down. I couldn't work out what was going on and time was ticking by.

Eventually I spotted someone with a similar car and had to go ask them!! It was simple of course, you had to lift a switch on the gear lever and that enabled you to go to reverse. I had never come across it before that!

17. marty21

had the same problem when I borrowed a work van, a Vauxhall, (before I actually drove a Vauxhall) had to get a work mate to come and help me as I was very close to a car in front and couldn't have another go at trying to find the reverse :D

18. bigbry

bigbry Well-Known Member R.I.P.

The flywheel on a diesel is much heavier so is harder to stall - it has enough energy stored to keep it going.

Also a diesel will 'keep going' if you take your foot off the accelerator - it will always try to keep turning - with a petrol if you don't have enough throttle it will just stop.

19. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

In any car on the road today? My last car was a 12 year old petrol engine and it needed many revs to ensure it wouldn't stall on moving off.

20. blairsh

blairsh hamburger time

Well no, i obviously can't speak for every car on the road. I've driven a lot of cars,vans and trucks and the only vehicle i can think of is a 70s vw beetle which had something wrong with it apparently so had to give it some beans.
    I was only talking about my personal experience and asuming this was a relatively new car like...

21. no-no

no-no Small robot you know

Revvvv it up! More gas!

22. flash

flash I am simply not there....

My 3 year old 207 will. I always reverse on the clutch only usually - so I have more control. Very helpful in the snow or icy conditions for pulling away. Just bring the clutch up in first until you find the biting point - it won't need the throttle.

23. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Not nowadays, the ECU will maintain the revs at a sufficient level to keep the car moving when you take your foot off the gas.

24. Cid

Cid Degenerate Scum

Diesel is a fucksite easier to find the biting point on tbh, especially if the petrol is underpowered. Your advice is right mind you, just need to get used to it.