1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joy of student finance....

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by stuff_it, Mar 19, 2012.

1. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

2. Schmetterling

Schmetterling Morum Fember

Was that a dispairing, I am going to kill myself, post-modernist, if I don't laugh I will cry; post-post-modernist, tentative Lol?
  3. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Put it this way, I will deserve a masters in Student Finance to go with my bachelor's degree in UCAS applications. :facepalm:

Just getting on the case with some scholarship/bursary/grant apps seeing as I'm a pauper.
  4. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Lol, managed to borrow the £200 I needed for my halls deposit off my mum, but their payment system is down. Was meant to be working again today but it's not. :facepalm:
  5. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

if you are in halls for freshers week you should be able to get your end away.
    Mephitic likes this.
  6. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

:facepalm:

:D

I don't think any of the young lads would know what to do with it tbf - I've already got the Mr and a few 'volunteers' lined up if that ever fails.

I'm doing it to be near the library. :rolleyes:
  7. fractionMan

fractionMan Custom Title

I remember thinking that.

It's true btw.
  8. madzone

madzone Physically unfavourable

A good way to gee SFE up is to slag them off on their facebook page. They pay up within a few days ;)
  9. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

I will bear that in mind, I'm still at the stage of needing to get an 'approved copy of my birth certificate' to send them. I need to get the same sort of signature on it as for a passport pic - which I also need to get some of signed. I'm struggling to think of anyone that's not a relative who can sign for them though. :(
  10. Yetman

Yetman Cheesecar Fucksquad #1

The bastards lost my stepdaughters birth certificate....I still havent told the mrs :eek:
  11. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

You sent the original!? :eek:

I'm going to get a copy from the registry office specially.
  12. Yetman

They demanded the original! Fuck I'm a twat arent I....I did send it recorded but when I saw it had been received chucked the PO ticket :(
  13. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

They can't demand the original actual one, when they say original they mean 'not a photocopy/certified photocopy'. Otherwise they would be banning everyone who has fallen out with their family or had a house fire from attending university.
  14. Yetman

So you can get copies? :hmm:
  15. madzone

Never, ever send anything to SFE unless it's recorded. It's worth the money. The number of times they've said to me they haven't recieved something and then I've emailed the copy of the signature of whoever signed for it and they miraculously find whatever it is they claim not to have recieved is astounding.
    Meltingpot likes this.
  16. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

Duly noted.

The fucking hassle I've had in getting my passport, if they lost it I would honestly lose my mind
  17. madzone

They lost my marriage certificate. Took almost a year to get it back. The complicating factor was that I'd done a yetman and lost the tracking number. In the end I lied and sent them the electronic signature for something else I'd sent them and they suddenly found my marriage certificate.
  18. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Yes, otherwise anyone who fell out with their family, or had a house fire would become an un-person. :D

You can get copies of both full and short form of birth certificates. It's cheaper to get them in person from the registry office where you were born but you can order them online as well, look out for scam sites that charge you more to act as a forwarding service or to phish your details.

Online ordering - only use the .gov site.... https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

OMFGZ how organised are you people not to have ever lost the original! I always get new ones to send off anywhere because yes they do get lost. Judging form the amount of ID I've had lost or stolen over the years I probably have about 6 of me by now. :oops:
  19. Yetman

Sweet :) Cheers to fuck stuffs :cool:
  20. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

I am still waiting for my grant. That's nearly a grand I have missed out on all year. Now I have my dissertation deadline looming, I simply don't have the time to spend sitting on hold for 40 minutes at a time while they fanny about only to tell me a load of useless shite. :mad:

If I get into my Masters, I can apply for an NHS bursary. I hope they're better than SF, they can't possibly be worse.
  21. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

That's not good to hear, I'm relying on the maintenance grant to eat food while I'm studying. :(
  22. DotCommunist

I had to say I was estranged from my mother otherwise they would have been scottish about the maintanence grant bit. Make sure you don't get caught out by that one.
  23. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

I'm over 25 and homeless living on my mates floor so far as that goes. The reason I didn't go to uni at the right time is because my mum wrote to the social and said I was welcome back any time after she threw me out which meant I couldn't get income support. Once you are a mature student you are safe though - I don't live with my boyfriend so we're not a 'household' for financial purposes.

Of course if they then don't give it me until spring I will be fuct anyway.
  24. DotCommunist

I see, I was 23 and just moving from hostel to halls but they still tried to make ma liable for some of my upkeep....the woman has moths in her wallet...

the bursaries are one to get on deffo. I didn't get a great amount (BA, pens and paper and books lol)

I dunno if you'd get more, engineers tools and whatnot?
  25. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Probably not a huge amount as the workshops are all pretty well equipped - it's not like you need to get your own toolbox while you're still studying. I'm applying for a couple of grants (from IMechE and there's a traust that gives them to disadvantaged women), both can be up to £1k each year as well but I'm not sure if you would be likely to get both.
  26. purenarcotic

Really? My grant was based on my mum's income, and for the past two years I've had no issue getting it. It's just this year thanks to clerical fuck ups on their part I've not received it.
  27. purenarcotic

The past two years have been fine. Just make sure you get your application in early.
  28. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

The only company that have ever asked me to pay back money I have never owed them :facepalm:
  29. equationgirl

equationgirl the internet persona of Durham Cathedral

The IMechE are pretty good with grants and stuff these days, stuff_it, fingers are crossed for you.
  30. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady willy nilly

Madz, did you send it recorded to the PO Box address? Will anybody be able to sign for it if I send it there? :confused: