1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Johnson ahead

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by paolo, Mar 18, 2008.

1. scott_forester

scott_forester probably talking shite

They're going to push another runway through don't forget.

2. corporate whore

corporate whore oh, thought you were dead

A 3.30am conversation with a black cab driver on Sat night/Sun morning reveals Boris has the cabbie vote tied up, mostly 'cos he's going to "sort out the poxy bleedin' rickshaws and them bloody licensed cabs" which, naturally, are "all driven by blacks and Asians" :hmm:

3. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

I think the bookies have Johnson in the lead as well, although not sure by how much without checking.

4. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Sadly that conversation doesn't surprise me. :(

5. HackneyE9

HackneyE9 Well-Known Member

Surely those two are just mutually reinforcing? :confused: Bookies don't commission their own polls, they see one, and give odds accordingly.

I thought Ken had already sorted out the private cabs, by making them all licenced?

6. Jografer

Jografer New Member

Corals have Boris 1/2, with Ken @ 6/4.......

Not quite that simple, combination of 'research' & the amounts of money being bet. If this is just a knee-jerk reaction to a rogue poll, then it's time to put the mortgage on Ken....

... however, just remind yourself about the last time you saw a bookie go bust....

7. co-op

co-op Free the rhubarb crumble!

But the "amounts of money already bet" is presumably people who stuck on to BJ when he had some decent odds - I don't see 2-1 on as being a good bet in any way for a BJ victory so I'm guessing he was much longer a few weeks ago. The longer price attracted money and now he's been cut as the bookies want to reduce their exposure.

It's probably a combo with That Poll. Presumably anyone in the know dashed off and got something on at a decent price when they heard he was polling ahead of KL, partly why it's tumbled to 1/2 - it doesn't mean they think he's going to win, it just means they don't want any more bets there for the time being.

On a two-way race, fixed odds let bookies basically guarantee a win for themselves. They'd only lose money if Paddick nips in at 40-1.

8. Socket

Socket Active Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/apr/03/livingstone.boris

Blimey.

9. g force

g force Affects Shatner's Basoon

Shock horror the SubStandard poll was a load of shite. I expect Ken to squeak through on second prefrences TBH.

10. Socket

Socket Active Member

These things are always shite though aren't they? Extrapolating from 1002 people!

FWIW, I think Brian Paddick's on The Daily Politics today on BBC2, not sure though.

11. co-op

Second prefs favour BJ according to the poll.

12. co-op

No, if your sampling is reasonably accurate, 1000 people will give a pretty accurate result.

13. Socket

Socket Active Member

Fair enough! :)

14. g force

"Evening Standard" and "accurate" seldom belong in the same sentence.

15. co-op

:)

Although having said the above, a 51%-49% split is sooo tight that the margin of error is probably larger than the difference between the two candidates, so yes you could call this "lead" a load of shite!

16. g force

It certainly appears to be a real contest unlike last time so maybe, just maybe we'll see some actual debate around issues affecting London - and not, repeat not Bendy fucking Buses!

17. Jografer

Jografer New Member

So according to the Guardian poll, you Londoner's think Ken will do more for the environment, will improve buses, is more likely to get on with the job, & is more understanding of the needs of Londoners.....

.. so you're going to elect Boris..

... not the brightest bunnies in the burrow are you... :rolleyes:

18. co-op

:D
    The poll has almost isolated out in pure form the power of smear. Apart from the mud that's been thrown at KL by the Standard, he should be well ahead.

19. jæd

jæd Corporate Hooker

The Bendy Bus issue is a real issue. If a mayor ignores the real issues they cause because he thinks he right, whatever else everyone else thinks, perhaps he should be replaced...

20. g force

But it shouldn't be the focus of a debate between candidtaes....there are much wider transport issues than the bus type we have because neither of them can afford (monetarily) to get rid of them and they have both said they simply won't order any more.

Lets debate proper cycle lanes, the underground and overground network.

21. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

Bendy busses turn out on 12 routes that pass through the cenetral area - they're not a policy or an 'issue' in themselves; as above they're a fly on the arse of a policy, the policy being public transport.

By accepting they have this dramatic, election-defining potential is like being mugged by the opponents - they think they can exploit the emotional aspect of this stupid bus palarver and so promote bendy busses way out of proportion.

Fall for it, and you've been politically mug imo. They're on 12 'kin routes ffs. Concentrate on public transport as a policy.

22. zoltan

zoltan Transnistria festishist

hes an odious divisive sneering cunt that Boris fuckpig shitehawk - its almost getting to the point that I may cast a vote here ( and I dont vote ) , just to keep the cunt at bay

23. jæd

jæd Corporate Hooker

Why do I always seem to be stuck behind one then...? :confused::mad:

24. KeyboardJockey

KeyboardJockey Clowns to the Left of me

I feel the same way when I look at Livingstone.

We need to clear out Livingstone and his cronies and yes men and women. I'm not convinced totally that Boris will be a fab leader but if he rids us of that grinning arrogant shitbag Livingstone then I'm willing to risk him for a term.

25. dtb

dtb > On A Trip Jam

i think the daily mail poll would say something different. the time has come for red ken :)

26. KeyboardJockey

agree the bendy bus is a problem. It only takes a bit of emergency roadworks that cuts into its turning circle and not only is the bus fucked but it holds up other traffic sometimes dangerously.

One short term way the bendybus experience could be improved (apart from restricting them to routes on arterial roads) would be to introduce conductors onto them.

27. zoltan

Livingstone is a top class stakhaniovite administrator.

28. KeyboardJockey

I translated that as corrupt shyster. :D

29. zoltan

"red ken"

oh....

30. zoltan

my bad speel