1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jobs it's acceptable to ask someone to do without pay

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Pickman's model, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

I'll start you off with barrister
  2. joustmaster

joustmaster not a racist

Running an internet forum?
  3. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

4. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Good flow chart. I should look at that more often.
  5. dylanredefined

dylanredefined Not a house elf a tiger

Unless it's fun or glamorous takes little skill or time to do. Your going to need to pay someone.
  6. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah you are not special.

Post-Revolutionary Executioner. That'll be a very popular one.
  7. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Clean up your own shit
  8. Schmetterling

Schmetterling Morum Fember

Apparently, bringing up children and running the house! :mad: Really pisses me off when housewives/househusband/house-better-description-I-cannot-think-of-right-now are considered not to be working.
    Sorry; am I derailing?
    RaverDrew, Cloo, stuff_it and 3 others like this.
  9. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

chugger's is the only one i can think off...

as it would stop me screaming at them "so you want 5 pound a month to save kids/whatever and you get paid 9 pound an hour!!!!"

:mad:
    wemakeyousoundb and Greebo like this.
  10. Greebo

Greebo czy zamilowanie jest odpowiedz, co jest pytanie?

No, IMHO you're not derailing, and carers (ie. not careworkers) get the same treatment. Try to get insurance and you're treated as unemployed. People assume that you've got unlimited free time to do their errands or whatever else (on top of whatever you normally do), and oh yes, the very worst one is "have you considered getting a job?". :mad:
  11. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was 'looking after family members'. Can you imagine how much it would cost to pay someone to be on call 24/7?
    Schmetterling and Greebo like this.
  12. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

Yeah, I don't have kids but housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, staying in all day to deal with deliveries/workmen goes completely unpaid. I miss having a job so much. :oops:
  13. _angel_

_angel_ pamphlet militancy

My sis is constantly trying to get me a 'job'. She also does this to swarthy not q believing having an ebay music shop is really work.
  14. Firky

Firky The first of the gang Banned

Biggest group of unpaid workers is....
  15. Pickman's model

not waving your fist now i see
  16. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

police won't let me shake my fist's at chuggers anymore

:(
  17. Pickman's model

you wouldn't be derailing if this was a different thread. i thought about titling it 'jobs people are generally paid for that it is considered acceptable to ask them to do for free' but it's a bit of a mouthful.
  18. Pickman's model

:(

what happened last time you did?
  19. Ax^

Ax^ Silly Rabbit

never hit any of them

did eat the head of one verbally a few years back after the pervious day he more or less frogmarched an Ex to the bank for her details..

which was most fun
  20. equationgirl

equationgirl the internet persona of Durham Cathedral

Interns - in any sector, but especially for MPs, the cheapskate exploitative bastards.
    Quartz, Greebo and cesare like this.
  21. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Having spent the last two years looking after two grown ups who sometimes act like children, no.
    Greebo likes this.
  22. Cloo

Cloo Macaroni penguin

I was just thinking, presumably unpaid internships don't exist in banking/finance, as you'd be considered too much of a loser to work in that field if you were actually willing to accept one.
  23. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

I'm sure they do. Keeps the poor people out of the well paid jobs doesn't it.
  24. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

A lot of city traders go straight to it out of school and are from less than rich backgrounds.
  25. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Domination Snert

A lot? I stand to be corrected but I'd be very surprised if people from that background weren't in a small minority tbh.
  26. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Well probably less and less these days, but there's a definite history of people going into it young who haven't got degrees - some of them from working class backgrounds. TBF under the current climate it's probably less and less, but it still goes to prove that you don't have to come from a rich family to be an arsehole.
    Monkeygrinder's Organ likes this.
  27. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Parliamentarian.
  28. cesare

cesare Tramp. The. Dirt. Down.

Mainly the traders, tbf.
  29. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

Fluffer
    stuff_it likes this.
  30. miss giggles

miss giggles an unknown quantity...

Acting. People expect you to do it for free all the time...