1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job apps that require a credit check to be done...

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by Throbbing Angel, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel MCU, MA in CW fwiw, NWUK

Hi there,
    I'm starting to apply for (low end)jobs in banks and b/socs as I've worked in them before and am looking for permanent part time roles (which seem to be few and far between outside of the NHS and banks etc round these parts).

Banks etc now perform credit checks on prospective employees.

Does anyone know what type of search they perform and if they are able to see 'Unrecorded Enquiries'. I know prospective lenders cannot see UE's...but I have no idea what prospective employers can/can't see....

All pointers most welcome

2. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

I had one of these once when I applied for a job in the City - I passed it, despite regularly failing on credit card applications. I think they check for different things than a regular credit check.

3. Throbbing Angel

Yeah, I know they are looking at/for different things.
    Did they just say 'we need to do a credit check, sign this' and then tell you at a later date that you'd passed, or were you given more info about what they actually did?

4. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

Cant quite remember. I have a friend in financial recruitment though, ill ask her and let u know.

5. Throbbing Angel

*thumbs*

sweet, thank you

6. DotCommunist

DotCommunist virtue without terror is impotent.

bailiffs require a credit check on prospective employees. Which serves anyone applying to work as a bailiff right, cos they are massive cunts

7. Throbbing Angel

8. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

this is from my mate. not much help, but.. i think you'll be fine. honestly, my credit rating's about as shit as u can get and i passed it.

9. Throbbing Angel

cheers gabi

10. lolo

lolo Well-Known Member

ok i am up for a job interview which is nothing to do with finances or banks etc but am filling in the forms for the agency that the interview is through and i have to consent to 'security, background and credit checks' - but it doesnt go into details as to what these are - now i have very bad credit history and pay old debts through a charity thing - i dont want to agree to these checks but if i dont it obviously looks suspicious - any advice as i really want the job

11. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Refusal to be checked would be an instant rejection for most places. Even a hint around that area should be a massive warning sign to the recruiters.

12. fuck seals

fuck seals Well-Known Member

hi TA

context - i worked for experian's credit agncy for 3 years & have been in & around the fianacial services/ retail banking/ credit agency area for 15+ years

you're right - banks will typically carry out background checks which are looking for (a) most commonly, identity verification, and (b) evidence of credit weakness or debt levels which could be exploited (e.g. "you tell me the bank's security details/ passwords/ give me a key-encrypting-key, and i'll pay off your crippling loans"-type scenarios)

firstly - if it's not a check thought callcredit/ experian/ equifax, then there is no credit aspect to the check. these are the only 3 credit agencies in the uk.

banks - or anyone else for that matter - cannot see any aspect of your credit record, they can only ask about it. so they might say "has TA got a consistent address, no entry on GAIN or CIFAS, fewer than 3 CCJs or less than than 10k GBP outstanding credit debt?", and base thier decision on the response(s) that they het. Usual way is that will 'score' you: 1 point for question A, 3 points for question B etc etc, and get a total score back. above score X ok, below score X not ok.

Credit agencies do *not* like handing out credit information perversely enough, as the fact that they have that scare & rare credit data is what makes them valuable in the first place. They *do* however like to answer questions about your credit, a bit like playing a bizarre 20-questions.

prospective employers are therefore in the same boat as lenders, ergo i doubt they they will be able to see unrecorded enquiries (what do you mean by UEs?) or any other particular entry.

GAIN - Gone Away Information Network - list of people who have become untracked
    CIFAS - UK's fraud offenders database

13. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Recalling my recent experience temping through agencies; they may well just be covering their arses and getting you to agree to everything now but in reality it'll 'just' be a CRB if you go for something at NHS or certain civil service positions, and the credit check for finance jobs, as above.

You'll certainly know about it if they want to do a check - filling in forms and providing a ton of info. I doubt they can sneak one on you, if you see what I mean :)

lolo likes this.