1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Israeli forces storm Gaza aid ship, and beat people on board. Fatalities reported.

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by danny la rouge, May 31, 2010.

1. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

The time more correctly known as "the expropriation of Jewish wealth by the Nazi German state"?
    I sure am!

2. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

:D

Mostly to be found outside Kingdom of Pork :)

3. the button

the button antagonistic but good value

Would anyone be interested in some sort of amusing but ultimately futile protest against this new law, btw? I'm thinking of a campaign of civil obedience, i.e. photographing myself not buying Israeli goods, and dobbing myself in at the Israeli Embassy. Obviously, it'd be a bit more impressive (i.e. still not that impressive at all really) if there were more people doing it.

NB: I'll have to apply for a passport first, otherwise, there'll be no point being banned from entering Israel for 10 years. :)

4. danny la rouge

danny la rouge Anti-homelessness stud.

Wait to see if it's passed, first. :)

5. the button

Good point, well made.

6. cesare

cesare in a cereal box

:mad:

7. frogwoman

frogwoman I welcome your experience

Be careful, don't wnat to get on any lists and end up with mossad using a copy of your passport to kill some poor bastard ...

8. the button

True. Perhaps I'd better not get a passport after all. :hmm:

9. cesare

cesare in a cereal box

:mad::mad:

10. ymu

ymu Niall Ferguson's deep-cover sock-puppet

Israel's not that shy about appropriating Nazi tactics.

Only for those who aren't planning to go to Palestine. The public health department at Birzeit has just sent out a call for a statistician to go and work with them. My 10 year ban isn't (theoretically) expended until 2012 :mad: :mad: :mad: (Although I think it might actually be harder to get past my partner than border control. :D)

11. cursed

cursed Member

Wear an Urban75 tee so that we will know it is you !!! :D

Also wear a Mask .... We don't want anything happening to you ,,, :(

12. frogwoman

Photographing the contents of your shopping trolley and sending it to the Israeli embassy. "Anyone to find an Israeli product in here wins a medal!"

13. Squatticus

Squatticus for an armed populace

This video looks at first glance like soldiers kicking something (unseen) on the floor, then shooting it with a pump-action shotgun.

14. danny la rouge

:D

I may do this.

15. the button

I'll wear my Foucault mask. No-one will have a clue it's me, not even Mossad. :cool:

16. the button

I seriously think it's got mileage as a consumer boycott with a twist. Instead of the usual "Don't buy x" guff, you'd have "Warning! Failure to buy Israeli produce may result in y."

:)

17. DexterTCN

DexterTCN 18-9-14

18. frogwoman

19. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

20. danny la rouge

My MP hasn't replied, but my MSP did. He condemned the blockade and the killings on the flotilla, and sent me a copy of the letter Salmond was sending to the Israeli consulate. I replied that that was fine, but what were they going to do to end the blockade and the occupation? Now his assistant has emailed me asking for my phone number, saying he wants to call me this evening. Now either he phones a lot of people, or very few have written on this issue. But either way, what should I be saying to him, do you think?

21. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Few instant thoughts:

Are there EDMs in the Scottish Parliament? Can he raise some? Small, token, concrete, Parliamentary things to do please MPs/MSPs :)

Does he support the initiative to enforce labellig of settlement goods? Does he appreciate that though not directly related to Gaza, it's a sensitive pressure-point for the state of Israel - and a threat against it with a realistic chance of political follow-through?

22. AnnO'Neemus

AnnO'Neemus Is so vanilla

There are Jewish people involved in Palestinian Solidarity and the International Solidarity Movement who are volunteers in the West Bank and Gaza.

There was an American art student called Emily Henochowicz who was recently shot in the face with a tear gas canister by an Israeli soldier while being an international observer at a protest near Qalandiya checkpoint; she has lost her eye, which would be bad for anyone, but for an artist the loss of perspective I should imagine is going to be particularly difficult to come to terms with.

I've read references to her being Jewish - as far as the IDF are concerned, it appears anyone and everyone is fair game, Jewish or not.

23. frogwoman

It'll be that sort of thing that breaks (and is already breaking) the jewish community from israel, at least in the west.

24. frogwoman

Yep, Self hating jews / traitors. In the same way that in south africa, people like my parents friends were classed as "kaffir lovers".

25. Idris2002

Idris2002 why is richmond out of his room?

Please don't do anything rash, frogs. I'd rather you weren't shot in the face with a tear gas canister.

26. frogwoman

I wouldn't don't worry. I wanted to go to Palestine for ages but that's not going to happen, at least not now, I have friends and family, I even get nervous with some of the stuff I do for the PSC and on a local level. I was terrified on last saturdays demo when some guy had an england flag which was modified in a pro-palestinian way and I thought it was the EDL. I'd never do anything to put myself or anyone elses life in danger.

my local PSC have got a branch meeting this week and a stall. I really hope it goes well, and none of those "allahu akbar" twats or the edl turn up :(

27. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diploma...show-the-world-israel-acted-lawfully-1.296074

Brilliant! Nothing like an independent enquiry :rolleyes:

28. danny la rouge

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/10338199.stm

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-to-ease-gaza-land-blockade-1.296736

Not good enough.

29. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Have a look at the make-up of the neutrality guarantors on the Inquiry team

30. frogwoman