1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there wifi on Southeastern trains?

Discussion in 'transport' started by Bungle73, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

Was on a SE train from Victoria to Sittingbourne last nght and was browsing the web on my iPhone 4 using 3G. For some reason my wifi came on and when I looked there was a service named "Free Public Wifi". It was there the whole journey I think, so it must have been coming from the train. I tried to connect but couldn't. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

3. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

"Free Public WiFi" and other similar names are not actual hotspots, but a harmless viral effect of Windows' ad-hoc wifi settings. Basically, someone somewhere created an ad-hoc network called "Free Public WiFi" - the computers that joined added it to their list of preferred networks. When those computers were turned back on in an area with no known networks, they automatically configured themselves as the first node in a new ad-hoc network with the same name. And thus the "Free Public WiFi" name spread from machine to machine around the world. You were seeing a Windows laptop somewhere else on the train that had been connected to someone else's "Free Public WiFi" at some point (and they to someone else's and so on). If you were using a windows laptop, then you too would be broadcasting "Free Public WiFi" in areas where you weren't already connected to a network.

4. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here

Oh that's a disappointment. It would be be nice if they did introduce it like some trains do.

Thanks, guys :)

5. marty21

marty21 my gran was in the war with bombs and shit

you just pissed all over the dream :D