1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there an A4E fraud thread yet?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by weepiper, Feb 21, 2012.

1. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

yield, frogwoman and dennisr like this.
  2. treelover

treelover For the 'Good Old Cause'

EH affair on Newsnight tonight..
  3. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Good video on the news of Cameron praising Emma Harrison for all her good work. Everything this man touches is turning into shit. The Midas of muck and misery.
  4. frogwoman

frogwoman I welcome your experience

won't be long i wouldn't have thought too before a new coulson-type saga (or perhaps the original one) returns to bite bumface in the arse.
    UrbaneFox and Frankie Jack like this.
  5. frogwoman

this ATOS and A4e thing looks like it has legs (no pun intended). I would put money on the cops investigating ATOS for fraud next as well.
    UrbaneFox and weepiper like this.
  6. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

atos are a proper multi national corporation. i'm not saying they aren't corrupt but i think they'll be much harder to rumble.
  7. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

loving the newsnight discussion here. four chief executives should provide a broad spectrum of opinions
  8. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

It rhymes with Cunty
  9. JHE

JHE Horrified to have made 10,000 posts

It doesn't really.

It rhymes with Joe Conti.
  10. JHE

The businessman from Greggs is slim. That's just wrong! He should be a great waddling thing, munching a sausage roll.
  11. frogwoman

so are a4e though. they're in Israel etc. atos are pretty hard to get but they're not unstoppable.
  12. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

atos is much much bigger than a4e. as i said they are probably involved in some dodgy practices but i'd still be surprised if what has happened to a4e happened to them
  13. treelover

I think it was meant to be about challenging them about responsible capitalism

anywa, the Newsnight package showed it up as in part a big ponzi scheme..
    Frankie Jack likes this.
  14. treelover

Oh, and QT panel and the audience, Tunbridge Wells, were the most right wing i have seen in years, Odone sounded like a US republican on welfare..
    Delroy Booth and Frankie Jack like this.
  15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Bound for glory

And they're the only contractor for disability assesments in the whole country. The government cannot afford to let this sort of thing happen to Atos because the fallout their end would be catastrophic. This is disabled people we're dealing with as well. Despite the best efforts of the state and the media they're still a few rungs higher on the official national ladder of sympathy than mere doleys, and thus better substrates for public outrage.

Atos are obviously crooks, but they seem thus far to be crooks in a manner entirely in keeping with the terms agreed by the government so that's OK. After all, when you've no competition, why cheat?
  16. treelover

A4e just been awarded the OLASS contracts for Prison Education in London/Surrey and the East of England.
  17. treelover

btw, can't decide what I now think of Margaret Hodge, she supported all the welfare reforms under NL, was a welfare minister, but she does seem to have had a rethink and while late to the party is taking some strong steps to examine all the private sector providers.

I also think her excursions into w/c areas during the BNP election campaign may have woken her up a bit..

Paul Blomfield, another LP MP is calling for all A4E contracts to be suspended..
  18. Bakunin

Bakunin https://robertwalsh.contently.com

19. treelover

Incredible how much publicity RTW/SWP are getting, the vampires did nothing on these issues before..

can't bring myself to look at their website..
  20. JHE

R4's PM prog: Emma H has resigned as boss of A4e. I'm surprised

(She still owns it, mind)
  21. Bakunin

Plus ca change, methinks.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
  22. JHE

A little theory: Emma H has had great success of promoting herself and is now paying the price.

Everyone has heard of her. How many people could name the people at the top of Serco, G4s, Ingeus etc etc? Her face and name not only attracted the govt, but also press interest and now, with the Mail in the lead, the Guardian piling in and the rest not far behind, her greed has been exposed and A4e has had loads of highly critical attention that the other firms don't get.

Emma H now realises that's what's happened and in an attempt to save her company and wealth has 'stepped down'.
    ddraig and frogwoman like this.
  23. treelover

She has resigned as chairperson of A4E, still a major shareholder though!
  24. maldwyn

maldwyn What?

She has always been a media whore appearing on any old dross of a TV programme - I'm so very glad her over exposure has finally paid off.
    UrbaneFox likes this.
  25. treelover

There is definitely a CH4 drama doc to be made on her, Blunkett can have a bit part...
  26. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Bound for glory

The police are activists now? Have I fallen into yet another parallel universe?
    frogwoman likes this.
  27. treelover

'Where you are providing support for JSA participants, which is work experience you must mandate participants to this activity. This is to avoid the National Minimum Wage Regulations, which will apply if JSA participants are not mandated.”

http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/201...s-from-the-work-programme-providers-guidance/

Which can be seen in this screenshot:

This is dynamite, well if would be if the Tories had any principles and resigned...
    stephj, Libertad and Frankie Jack like this.
  28. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

TBH that reads more like a particularly bad attempt to avoid the problems that the recent fashion for "internships" faced when it was legally pointed out to them that if something looks like work, smells like work and tastes like work then it is work, and so people on such schemes should have been getting the minimum wage.

You would also have to question how much different the courts would view the JSA / Workfare scheme, especially as it is something that people have no choice on (the one defence that the pro-intern mob had was that people had volunteered for it) and because of the obvious parallels between normal employees and workfare people (especially at places like Tesco).
  29. Bakunin

No, just Chris Grayling being, as usual, an habitual liar.
  30. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

That on its own should be enough to cause amusing fallout.

The timing of all this stuff is quite great at the moment.