1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there an A4E fraud thread yet?

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by weepiper, Feb 21, 2012.

1. _angel_

_angel_ urban myth

He's pure evil!
    But pretty useless at actually getting things to work, am hoping even the tories will have to realise the utter disaster the UC is going to wreak on about half the country and pull the plug.

2. treelover

treelover For the 'Good Old Cause'

'Director of scandal-hit firm used to work for Cameron[​IMG]
    TV appearance: Jonty Oliff-Cooper in the Channel 4 reality series The Edwardian Country House

A former Tory official who worked in David Cameron’s inner circle and was an aide tohis policy adviser Steve Hilton is now a director of scandal-hit A4e, it emerged last night.In an example of ‘revolving door politics’, Jonty Olliff-Cooper joined A4e armed with top-drawer Conservative Party contacts
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2105271/Back-work-firm-forces-jobseekers-work-FREE-offices.html#ixzz1nDH0KtX6

he is 29 ffs, hiring him was about his contacts and nothing else..

3. killer b

killer b Poster of the year 2005, 2006 & 2011

Jonty. Fucking hell

Spanky Longhorn and weepiper like this.
  4. JHE

JHE Horrified to have made 10,000 posts

in that photo he looks about 14

5. treelover

its from the TV series about 15 years ago..

6. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

It could easily be a school photo from the sounds of things.

7. killer b

killer b Poster of the year 2005, 2006 & 2011

8. idumea

idumea no war but the bass war

Sorry to repeat but: Jonty? Fucking Jonty??

I actually give in.

Nylock, stuff_it, lagtbd and 2 others like this.
  9. trevhagl

trevhagl Famous author , company CEO

UrbaneFox likes this.
  10. trevhagl

trevhagl Famous author , company CEO

probably because the unemployed don't exist in the media, apart from where they're committing fraud

11. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

You job snob! :mad:

dennisr likes this.
  12. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

Emma Harrison has "stepped down", according to the BBC. More scandal to come tommorrow, then?

rollinder, stephj, Nylock and 2 others like this.
  13. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone ubi sunt

Downing Street respect her decision to resign and thank her for all the hard work she has done.

14. JHE

Stepped down as... 'family czarina' only? chair of a4e? manager of a4e?

It's not clear from the PM Prog, but I think it's just the first.

15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Bound for glory

I doubt she'd be falling on any swords at all if she wasn't aware that the crooked practices in her company aren't just down to a few isolated cases.

Even if a4e performed their 'services' according to every letter of their contracts they'd still be ripping off the public, albeit with the complicity of the government.

16. agricola

agricola atomic materialist

Just the first one, according to the Guardian.

17. UrbaneFox

UrbaneFox My Christmas haul

I keep a close eye on Ingeus, formerly WorkDirectionsUK, and sadly they have not yet been involved in any major catastrophe, such as a terrible office fire or inquiry into their illegal, lying, fraudulent practice.

They broke the law many times when I was one of their customers and despite my following the DWP complaints procedure no-one there answered any of my questions, accepted any responsibility, and most of my letters were lost in the post or passed to the wrong person. Even Darra Singh, CEO of the DWP, was away from his desk when he received my letter, so it was answered by the tea trolley attendant, who denied everything.

18. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

According to Wikipedia "
    The remaining 79% of companies on that list must be really crap then.

I want to know more about this, and hope that the media pick up on it.

Frankie Jack likes this.
  19. binka

binka !!!!!!!!!

this is the lead story on channel four news btw

stuff_it likes this.
  20. JHE

Various bits of the media, including the latest edition of Private Eye (dated tomorrow) and Channel 4 News, claim that A4e is the biggest player in the Work Programme. This is not so. The company that did best in the bidding last year was not A4e, but Ingeus.

For a list of the winners in the various areas see: http://www.urban75.net/forums/threads/work-programme-contractors.271878/

A4e may have picked up some sub-contracting work in some of the areas in which it is not the prime contractor, but the biggest player in the WP game is Ingeus

The current allegations of fraud relate to the WP's predecessor, FND, and insofar as any details have been released the allegations are not about minor improprieties in paperwork (as I thought at one point they might be) but outright claims of the sort 'J Bloggs has gained employment at Smith & Co. She started on blah date' when in fact that wasn't true. If pressures in FND led to this sort of abuse, it is likely that there is even more abuse of that sort under WP, since payments to the 'providers' are more dependent on job outcomes than was the case under FND.

21. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

The brass neck.

and:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ma-Harrison-quits-amid-fraud-allegations.html

22. treelover

23. audiotech

You on first name terms?

24. treelover

Frankie Jack likes this.
  25. treelover

'Mark is the Executive Chairman of A4e. Having started with the organisation as a graduate of Warwick University in 1991, Mark is now an expert in business diversification and excels at identifying solutions for failing markets and niche opportunities for innovative ways of tackling difficult public service agendas. His focus is building effective business models with private, public and voluntary/community organisations to create customer driven services which assist Government’s in delivering social change.
    Outside of A4e, Mark is a board member of his Local Strategic Partnership in Sheffield, a Non Executive Director of Sheffield Primary Care Trust (PCT), a member of the CBI's Public Services Strategy Board and a member of the CBI's Yorkshire and Humberside Regional Council.'

here is one profile

Frankie Jack likes this.
  26. audiotech

One whistleblower....said: “I have witnessed colleagues who were bullied by management so badly that it caused stress and depression leading to them resigning.”

I see the CBT turned out to be just plain old bullying from the 'team leaders' - pfft.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/worked-over-tory-jobs-tsar-737191

And it looks as though A4E could continue in its present role?

27. treelover

Bet its not on QT...

28. treelover

'The chairman of the public accounts committee, Margaret Hodge, called for all A4e contracts – worth £140m – to be suspended pending the outcome of police inquiries, with unemployed people transferred to other contractors. "There needs to be a clean bill of health before a company such as this is allowed to continue with major government contracts. The committee found that the company and its practices are worrying to say the least," she said.

The government is unlikely to accede to her request, partly because it would mean an enormously disruptive transfer of the unemployed from one contractor to another. A4e is probably the single largest provider to the Work Programme.'

shameful, where is the democracy?

then again, they forget about the net..

29. treelover

30. audiotech

These right-wing Spectator types ^ not very consistent. During the 80's and early to mid 90's they were going along with the idea that 'high unemployment was a price worth paying' now it's:

High unemployment is now hard-wired into the economy, so his economics are suspect.