1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Jiang Zemin dead? Probably!

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Jessiedog, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jessiedog

Jessiedog Keeping the faith.

Last Wednesday (6th July), one of the local terrestrial television stations in Hong Kong, Asia Television (ATV), ran a story on it's main news programme that former Chinese president, Jiang Zemin had died and said they'd be changing their evening scheduling to run a one hour special on him.

Now, this is interesting because ATV is known to be very close to the leadership in Beijing. The senior management at ATV are all mainland Chinese and are known to have direct connections right to the top of the CCP.

Lo and behold, within a few hours they retracted the story and made profuse apologies while cancelling the one hour special and reinstating regular programming for the evening.

Well, well, well. What to make of it?

In my view, the old goat has croaked and it was mentioned by someone senior in Beijing to an ATV executive who told the ATV newsroom to run the story. All hell then broke loose in Beijing and ATV were told to swiftly retract.

Why would (some in) Beijing want to cover up Jiang's death and save any announcement of it until a time of their suiting?

Mostly becuase next year there will be a change of leadership in China, a new president and a new prime minister, etc. along with all the inevitable changes in Party personnel that accompany/follow such an event.

Despite having retired a decade ago, Jiang remains an immensely powerful individual in China and has, in the last couple of years, been publishing books, raising his profile, burnishing his image and, without doubt, doing his best to influence things so that his protegees will survive and prosper under the incoming regime.

Knowledge of his death, at this delicate time, would have a profound impact upon the machinanations of the various factions of the Party and would significantly weaken the position of those from the "Jiang camp".

It's common knowledge that Jiang has been very ill of late and he has not been seen in public for a while. Indeed, he missed the celebrations for the 90th anniversary of the CCP last week - unthinkable for a man who has always loved the pomp and ceremony of such occasions.

Reminds me of when, back in 1995, a reliable source told me that Deng Xiao Ping had died in 1994, but that the announcement wouldn't be made until after the handover of Hong Kong in July 1997 (Deng is widely credited with crafting the concept of "One Country Two Systems" as now applies to HK).

Certainly, Deng was never seen in public between mid-1994 and the announcement of his death in Feb 1998.

So, I reckon Jiang Zemin is dead.

You heard it here first.

Woof

2. Yu_Gi_Oh

Yu_Gi_Oh 天天好心情

I reckon so too!

To be fair, I heard it here first. ;)

I really enjoy your China posts, Jessiedog, I wish you posted more. :)

3. Yossarian

Yossarian moving the bomb line

Deng's death was announced in February 1997 - a few months before the handover.

4. Jessiedog

Heh!

I wish I was around more too.

Have a job at the moment and am working all hours, so Urban needs to take a back seat. I'll be more visible again once I'm fired!

:)

Woof

5. Jessiedog

Only a year out?

At my age, that's close enough!

;)

Everything good, Yoss?

Woof

6. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

Defo a name that's always nice to see - get the work into perspective, JD ;)

7. machine cat

machine cat Cooperative... at times.

I read somewhere that the CCP will make some sort of announcement on Thursday. :hmm:

8. Yossarian

Yossarian moving the bomb line

All good over this way - think the Jockey Club will be taking bets on when Jiang dies?

9. Jessiedog

Tell that to my boss, purves!!1111!1

It ain't easy getting things set up and I'm still a cost at this point - he rides me like a donkey. Sixteen hour days and still not cutting it. :(

I'm way too old for this kind of shit.

Been following Thailand, t'will be interesting to see how the sister goes.

Stay well, friend.

Woof

10. Jessiedog

That'll be interesting, machine cat. Please post back here whatever it is.

Woof

11. Jessiedog

Kewl.

Give me a bell and let's do something - Ma On Shan ain't getting any smaller. ;)

Given it's position, I think it likely the Jockey club will remain mute. Let's see what the offshore, on-line odds are though - post 'em up here!

Be safe all. Need to sleep now. Fucking hate having a job. :(

May you (all) live in interesting times.

;)

Blessings.

Woof

12. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

I reckon if he's popped his clogs, the reason they've not announced it yet was because it was close to the celebrations of the 90th anniversary of the founding of the Party (which he was notably absent from) and they didn't want this news to overshadow/put a dampner on that. As I undrstand the factional politics (which tbh is entirely second hand) he's not in the front lines of that any more anyhow.

13. Jessiedog

Yeah. Good point. It would have put a real dampener on the 90th anni'.

And, of course, he's not in the "front lines" any more. That said, word in HK is that he's been very active "behind the scene" in the last couple of years, trying to butress his (I think it is the Shanghai....?) faction before the 2012 top-end reshuffle. There've been an increasing number of reports in the SCMP over the last 2 years - usually something monthly, and over the last few months, often weekly - a book or two published here, a quote or five to ponder there, splodges of commentary hither and thither and all scattered across the backdrop of a web of ill-health rumours. And that's just the SCMP.

Were he alive, I reckon they'd be propping him up, waxing him down and wheeling him out about now for a 2 minute, trademark, sitff-grin-and-wave.

Don't think they can though, 'cos he's dead, see? Dead! Yeah? ;)

We ain't going to see old Jiang again. Not until we see him all stuffed, formaldehyded and makeuped in a coffin.

Things must be going mental behind the scenes within the Party right now.

Be interesting to see which way the wind blows as the chips fall. Methinks the forecast is looking a little unsettled and blustery, with changing winds for the next few years.

Blessings all.

Woof

14. Jessiedog

The HK Govt. (well, at least the broadcasting authority) are investigating ATV after numerous complaints were received from members of the public about the "Death of Jiang" broadcast. The investigation will encompass whether the new Chief Executive (mailander Wang) is interfering with editorial policy.

Interesting.

There's been a battle going on for the last year or so through the courts between Wang and his family and Tsai (the Taiwanese shareholder) for control of the loss making ATV.

Interesting times indeed.

Jiang Zemin is still dead though.

;)

Woof

15. Jessiedog

.......Breaking news from Hong Kong.......

A scapegoat has popped out from ATV.

Leung Ka Wing, Senior VP of News programming (or somethingorother) has been fired. Apparently it happened within a day of the original broadcast, but was not annouced until today (he's been reporting for work in the meantime).

It's been reported that Leung made a parting shot/comment about "editorial independence" before today's announcement.

E2A: Anyone seen, heard from or heard anything about Jiang Zemin since July 6th 2011?

Woof

16. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Jessiedog, what does it mean for China if he is dead?

17. Jessiedog

It's about his influence regarding succession.

There are major leadership changes coming up.

This is from Willy Wo-lap Lam, a good HK guy who's been following this stuff for decades. The article is worth a read. It pertains to a recent trip that Li Keqiang made to HK. We're pretty pissed off here about how the police behaved during his trip.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903918104576503311098645364.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Worth reading.

Woof

18. Jessiedog

Looks like Leung's deputy at ATV is going as well.

Editorial independence is quite right!

Anyone seen Jiang?

Woof

19. Jessiedog

Several defections from the ATV news room seem to be in the offing amidst claims of editorial interference and starting with (long timer,) Yonden Lhatoo.

It's a really murky situation with the editorial staff insisting that they didn't want to run the story, but that the station's senior management insisted.

The plot thickens.

Mereckons Jiang is still dead.

Woof

20. skitr

skitr Well-Known Member

Still?! Lazy.

21. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

22. purves grundy

purves grundy ambient clown remix

CGI, same bloke that did the firework bit for the 2008 Olympics

23. Jessiedog

Greebo likes this.
  24. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

What was the coverage like in HK, Jess? The web news I saw here had far too many close-up shots of Jiang, with the only purpose being to squash the rumours AFAICT (e.g. three at the end of this set of pics).

25. Jessiedog

Hi Jim.

Nah.

I saw the whole footage - distance shots included.

He was extremely wobbly on his feet and held up as he walked and extremely thin but, to the best of my observations ......

..... He's alive .... he's ALIIIIIVE!!!

[​IMG]

Clearly, I was wrong.

That said, the (inevitable,) gossip in HK is that a part of wheeling him out was to re-inforce his influence in the power struggle surrounding the coming leadership change on the mainland and, more importantly (for HK,) to bolster the philandering Henry Tang's leadership chances in the March 2012 Chief Executive "election" in HK. Jiang is known to support Henry the Horse.

It's a funny old world in China - things are different, eh?

The pan-democratic camp in HK's LegCo wanted to set up a committee to investigate the initial ATV report and enquire into interference with the editorial independence of ATV's newsroom. But the DAB, pro-Beijing and pro-business Functional Constituancy legislators put the kaibosh on that idea VERY quickly ........ nothing to investigate here, move along peeps.

Anyway, I was wrong.

He Liiiiiiiiiives!

;)

Woof