1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Is Brixton property worth investment?' asks business website. Brixton Green offer their plans

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 10, 2012.

1. editor

editor Got a fever +the only prescription is more cowbell

I could suggest to the mods that we to set up a dedicated Brixton Green forum here but it would have to be open to all and unmoderated (past our usual rules) and come with the expectation that representatives from Brixton Green would be active contributors.

brucenbart and brad like this.
  2. brad

brad Active Member

1. What are the possible proposals?
    We have a short film on the site which outlines the current proposal:
    http://www.brixtongreen.org/

We are adding more pages so the current proposals can be more easily viewed.

2. How does the membership of Brixton Green work? Is it 1 member 1 vote for example?
    One share per person. One vote per person.

3. Is there a maximum number of shareholders you are looking for? If there is do people who cannot join then not get a say
    The current cap is 5,000 shareholders. Anyone who lives in Brixton can contribute to the proposal whether they are a shareholder or not.

4. If you do acquire the site what will the timelines be for this work?
    That's dependent on a number of factors(planning etc), but it will be a couple years plus.

5. Whether you consider that the organisation is independent of the council, particularly as our local MP is your patron?
    Yes we are owned by our shareholders and independent from Lambeth Council.

6. Also I note you also have the Cabinet Office and Department of Communities and Local Government logos on your site. Perhaps you could outline what support they have given you?
    The Cabinet Office and DCLG's support came as part of us being one of ten national pilots on community shares. Cooperatives UK and Locality(then the Development Trust) were also part of this support. It was a two year programme where we able to develop our governance structure and community shares.
    http://www.communityshares.org.uk/

3. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

Why do they want to destroy the barrier block?
    idjeets
    anyway, it's from a site to woo businesses to London, and the article in this particular case is aimed at BTL landlords, pile of dung IYAM; which you don't.

4. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

As a minor aside, is this actually legal from a mutuals perspective:
    From your Q&A, which seems to contradict your I&P Constitution (clause 7) here:
    Can I withdraw my share?
    If you no longer wish to be a member of Brixton Green you can withdraw your share. However we are unable to return your £1 as the costs involved in processing your application exceeds £1. Even though it is only £1, the law requires we take a lot of trouble over looking after our members and so we cannot afford to return the one pound if you leave.

5. editor

I'm looking at the video now.

DEL.jpg

Why is 'reduced economic activity' seen as some sort of negative issue for a residential area?

The last time you were here you also insisted the green park space outside Southwyck House by Somerleyton Road was also bad for economic activity and you wanted to get rid of it. Do you still hold that view?

6. brad

brad Active Member

I agree this is awkwardly written and should be re-done. Basically if you buy the share online Paypal take a commission. If you buy one of our cards, there is obviously a cost in producing these. Plus all our volunteer time.

7. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

just skimmed this - brad, are you proposing that the barrier block gets demolished? :confused: i love that building!

nice username btw. :D

8. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Brad has not said he is proposing it. The council (as an option for discussion, by the looks of things) is.

9. brad

brad Active Member

We speak with the local shop owners. If they find it difficult to get trade it is not good for the residents in the area. Local shops are more than just retail outlets.

10. brad

brad Active Member

Absolutely not.

11. editor

The council are putting it forward as one of several proposals for the area.

The first the Residents Association heard about it was last week, and we were told to treat the matter as confidential for the time being.

Then we discovered that the property developer press have known all about it for months.

It's not the greatest start for a period of consultation, or for fostering the feeling that the resident's views are being listened to.

oryx, el-ahrairah and Mrs Magpie like this.
  12. Winot

Winot Win not Whine

Sounds like the residents ought to be asking some hard questions of the council to find out exactly what is being discussed.

E2a - written before seeing Ed's post above ^

13. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

Lambeth being less than open?
    surprising

14. editor

What shops are in that area of red highlighted on your map?

And how about your plans for the green space outside Somerleyton Road? You want to put shops there? Why?

It's hugely disappointing that in all this time your plans still seem rather opaque and straight answers are hard to get - even when they concern the homes of hundreds of people.

15. editor

After seeing that article it's certainly made me think twice about how open they're being with us.

Mrs Magpie likes this.
  16. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Lots of people bought the shares out of curiosity, and because punting a quid was no great commitment, not because they are cheerleaders for BG. I know quite a few people who have shares.

editor likes this.
  17. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I believe a couple of shareholders from the Golden Age Club have died too.

18. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah be nice or die.

on this forum? or the one on your website?

19. brad

brad Active Member

The Brixton Green proposal is just for Somerleyton Road - It does not include Southwyck House.

Editor, you know our plans are just for Somerleyton Road. There is nothing in the proposal regarding Southwyck House or the land in front of Southwyck House.

Also as a local resident you know where the local shops are.

20. brad

brad Active Member

We go to great effort to ensure people understand what they are buying a share in.

Mrs Magpie, you have repeatedly been negative about this proposal. It is clear that Brixton Green is inclusive, democratic, and has enagaged with a wide section of the community. It is also clear that we are continuing to work to engage and involve more of the community.

Our event at Dexter's Playground brought together over 850 people from a wide section of the Brixton community
    http://www.brixtongreen.org/over-850-come-to-brixton-green-family-event/

Our work with the schools and other local groups:
    http://www.brixtongreen.org/brixton-greenhill-mead-event/

What is the motivation for your continued negative comments?

21. el-ahrairah

are you going to personally meet with every single Brixton resident? or are all those who are not on Urban 75 expected to psychically know about it. Until this thread the only thing i'd heard about Brixton Green was a poster in a neighbour's window which stated that Only Brixton People Know What Brixton Wants. I assumed it was for the local Green Party. This is important stuff and if you want people onside you have to stop acting like a politician.

kalibuzz, eme and editor like this.
  22. brad

brad Active Member

Please make your comments on this forum. Although it is helpful if you send messages directly to us on the Brixton Green site:
    http://www.brixtongreen.org

23. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

I agree with El-ah. A lot of local people get information on what is happening in Brixton from this and other Internet sites. I haven't seen any physical posters or leaflets for Brixton Green in the community. Your website seems very limited in details and with no discussion forum how are local people meant to engage with your project?

editor likes this.
  24. brad

brad Active Member

It is difficult for a voluntary organisation to get a message out to so many different communities. Over the next few weeks we aim to get leaflets to every home in Brixton.

This is an important proposal for Brixton people. We need constructive debate.

25. brad

brad Active Member

I suggest Urban75 is used as the discussion forum. We will work to get more info online.

26. el-ahrairah

If you wonder why two very long term residents of this area are concerned about the motives and actions of yet another group purporting to speak for Brixton residents then really, you don't have the experience necessary to lead this project.

Mrs Magpie likes this.
  27. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

Can you explain why Southwyck House residents have been told to keep the proposals confidential and why the same wasn't asked of you, and why you've known for at least two months about the proposals for Southwyck House? Just curious

eme likes this.
  28. el-ahrairah

Yes, it is. It is tricky. Do you set up stalls in the centre ever? Have any of your hundreds of supporters knocked door to door or delivered leaflets at the very least to those residents most directly affected by this? If the patron is the local MP, does that mean that Tessa Jowell will support any collective decision made? Also, are you a member of any political party or economic organisation that stands to profit from any particular outcome?

kalibuzz likes this.
  29. brad

brad Active Member

To re-iterate: I discussed only Brixton Green with the journalist. Southwyck House is not part of the Brixton Green proposal. The Brixton Green proposal is just for Somerleyton Road.

30. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

So the journalist/London Loves Business knows all about the proposal, but he never mentioned it to you?