1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Is Brixton property worth investment?' asks business website. Brixton Green offer their plans

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 10, 2012.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

*speechless

http://www.londonlovesbusiness.com/...rixton-property-worth-investment/1815.article

2. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

The dead water that is social housing? fuckers.

fogbat and Greebo like this.
  3. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

4. editor

Brixton Green. The people who claim that they 'know what the people of Brixton want' yet ran a fucking mile when Brixton residents here started asking pertinent questions about their opaque proposals.

5. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

Has brixton really changed all that much in the last few years? I only ever pass through for a few hours here and there - seems much the same as ever to me.

6. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

WTF??? :eek:

7. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055

Don't panic! The gentrifiers are going to save Brixton.

8. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

I mean, srsly, what the fuck is this supposed to mean?

9. Kanda

Kanda Nosh Wagon

It's the nu Brixton middle class hipsters, wanting it to be vibrant and edgy yet gentrifying it at the same time... :D

10. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter marquistador

Knocking down the barrier block? Are they fucking nuts?

"invest now before it's too late" :mad:

To reiterate a point that's been made thousands of times before on here: new property development will not solve the social housing problem, but merely creatre profits for developers and buy-to-let landlords.

11. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

"Most people view Brixton as finishing at the bridge of the junction of Railton Rd [parallel to Somerleyton Road] where the riots were."

What does that mean? Because if they mean at the railway bridge, that isn't even Railton Rd, it's Atlantic Rd. And there's no way Abbeville Road is in Brixton.

Greebo and Mrs Magpie like this.
  12. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter marquistador

It disturbs me deeply that they've managed to get Tessa Jowell to be their 'patron', whatever that means. Gives the whole thing a false sense of legitimacy.

Greebo likes this.
  13. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

Brixton Green are not popular on my Estate (the one slap bang next to where BG are eyeing up their possibilities). One of the reasons (although there are several) is because Brad posted up the contents of an email on this very site. In fact I was told about that by a couple of residents who didn't know I have a U75 connection (Don't ever email Brixton Green, they don't respect confidentiality!). Big mistake on their part, that.

Greebo likes this.
  14. Winot

Winot Win not Whine

Pretty much the same, yes, just with better food and coffee.

brucenbart and kalibuzz like this.
  15. eroom

eroom Well-Known Member

If you read the first line of this article...

'Search Brixton in Google news and you get some interesting results'

...I think you get a pretty clear indication of the quality of the journalism that went into producing this story.

Greebo, Brixton Hatter and Mrs Magpie like this.
  16. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

'Brixton Village' methinks

17. editor

Brixton Green. The people who keep telling us that they represent the community of Brixton yet in five years have made no attempt whatsoever to contact the community in Southwcyk House which they actively want to literally destroy.

Brixton Green. The people who keep telling us that they represent the community of Brixton yet refused point blank to discuss their proposals here, insisting that we should 'carry on the discussion' on their site - which has no means of open discussion :facepalm:

brucenbart and 5t3IIa like this.
  18. quimcunx

quimcunx jesus tonsils

Don't worry, we'll be rid of the people who hate brixton. Those brixton haters with no money to spend on executive penthouse apartments.

19. Mrs Magpie

...and publish emails on here without permission from the other party, which I deleted and Brad reposted. :facepalm: :mad:

20. editor

These are the people who believe in the fictional 'Somerleyton Triangle.'

21. Mrs Magpie

Well, there is a known area known as The Moorlands Triangle. This encompasses Council and HA tenants in the area. For instance the community garden on Moorlands is open to those in the Moorlands Triangle, not just Moorlands residents.

22. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

One of Barry Manilow's lesser known hits.

Mation, Miss-Shelf and el-ahrairah like this.
  23. el-ahrairah

el-ahrairah you are not special.

where no-one who goes in is ever heard from again?

24. ska invita

ska invita yes yes

25. brad

brad Active Member

I am available to meet tomorrow to discuss any questions(including pertinent ones) about the Brixton Green proposal.

Let me know the best time and place to meet.

26. brad

brad Active Member

The Brixton Green proposal is just for Somerleyton Road. Please see the link below:
    http://www.brixtongreen.org/

Over 850 Brixton people are now shareholders in Brixton Green. It is an inclusive, democratic registered mutual society. Anyone over 16 who lives or works in Brixton can become a shareholder.

I am happy to meet anyone who has concerns about the proposal or has misunderstood what Brixton Green is.

27. brad

brad Active Member

I think it is essential to have an open debate regarding the proposal. Please view the film on our site to get a clearer idea of what we're proposing:
    http://www.brixtongreen.org/

Brixton Green is continuing to actively engage with all parts of the Brixton community. As you know we have invited yourself and Mrs Magpie to meet.
    Somerleyton Road is one of the most important sites for the community in Brixton. We believe it needs the knowledge of all our communities to develop it in a way that could strengthen our town and community for generations.

28. brad

brad Active Member

I'm happy to discuss on Urban75. To discuss such an important proposal it would also be helpful to for us meet.

Both you and Mrs Magpie have had long standing misunderstandings of what Brixton Green is. Let's meet and resolve those misunderstandings.

Please let me know when is best for you.

29. brad

brad Active Member

Mrs Magpie you know many of our shareholders and most active volunteers are on Moorlands Estate.

You may also know of our work with HIll Mead Primary(in the heart of Moorlands). Please see the link below to an event where the whole school recorded their thoughts on the area:
    http://www.brixtongreen.org/brixton-greenhill-mead-event/

And our event at Dexter's playground - over 850 people from all parts of the Brixton community attended:
    http://www.brixtongreen.org/over-850-come-to-brixton-green-family-event/

To engage all the various communities in Brixton is a lot of work and we're continuing to make good progress on making sure Brixton people know what Brixton Green is and making sure they have their say.

Brixton Green is owned by Brixton people. Over 850 Brixton people are already shareholders. The Brixton Green proposal is being developed by Brixton people. If you have any concerns or thoughts on how it could be better than have your say - make it better.

30. editor

Could you explain - in simple terms - why in five years you have never approached any residents of Southwyck House (or its Residents Association, which I am part of) to inform them of your plans to smash their homes and their community to smithereens, but you still felt at liberty to inform the press about these plans?