1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm addicted to Coconut water.

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Numbers, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

Beautiful stuff. Anyone?

I find I'm drinking minimum a litre a day.

monsterbunny and Miss Caphat like this.
  2. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 Least LA person in LA

My wife is also an addict. Practically grew up on the stuff in Brazil. She's also very particular about which brand is acceptable for purchase.

I quite like it on occasion. When I was sick it was all I was able to hold down for a while, she swears it has healing powers. Nowt quite like getting a fresh coconut and sticking a straw in to drink.

3. felixthecat

felixthecat embarrassing mother

What brands do you drink? I've never found one that was any good.

4. Sirena

Sirena Well-Known Member

I drink Vita Coco from the large cartons. It says it is 100% pure coconut water. I got the taste for coconut water in Jamaica....

monsterbunny and Greebo like this.
  5. skyscraper101

Vita Coco is the only one my wife will drink.

Greebo likes this.
  6. maomao

maomao Well-Known Member

Vita Coco is the one my wife orders from Sainsbury and then leaves untouched in the fridge for weeks and weeks. I might try some after reading this.

UrbaneFox, Greebo and Sirena like this.
  7. Sirena

Sirena Well-Known Member

I think the Tropical Sun little cans (of 100% coconut water) taste even nicer but they are quite pricey.

Thing with coconut water, I think, is to drink it straight from the fridge.

Greebo likes this.
  8. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

Vita Coco here too, + my local office do a 250ml bottle called Aqua Coco which I like and he does me a deck of 12 for 9 squid, + today I bought a dozen proper coconuts from the local West Indian shop, but they're tiny things yet to be tested/tasted.

Sainsburys sometimes do the Vita Coco for 2.50, when they do we buy 20 or so but the more we hve the more we drink.

Greebo likes this.
  9. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

Is she from the NE? They are used for 101 things up here, from sun-lotion to fuel, hanging baskets to bread and cups to jewellery. Possible the most versatile "fruit, nut or vegetable" :)

I say, fruit, nut or vegetable as that is a common debate/argument that comes up when people are drunk :)

Greebo likes this.
  10. moose

moose with the voice of Roger Tilling

It was all I could keep down when I had pneumonia. It feels like it's doing you good but probably isn't!

Greebo likes this.
  11. Greebo

Greebo Next step, do that lefthanded.

It really is very refreshing. Great for rehydration, whether you drink it on it's own or half and half with water. Pity it's so expensive.

12. Greebo

Greebo Next step, do that lefthanded.

IME it's very good for rehydrating, and soothing for sore throats. It may not be ideal if that's all you're getting for a day or two, but it's probably better for you than flat coke or lucozade.

13. maya

maya timewasting fool (in every universe)

I just phoned my dad up to ask about this because I was bored enough right now to start wondering about it too- He's a biologist(/botanist? Well, he's got a PhD anyway so I guess he knows what he's talking about-), and he says it's a "stone fruit" (drupe), species name cocosnuciferia(?sp?) The palm bears coconuts (which are stone fruits- a bit like cherries for instance, which have a seed inside but pulp on the outside- except the coconut of course has a hard shell outside that too... but before I could ask him anymore about that he thought I was finished asking and said goodbye and hung up- :D Anyway, hope that answered your question once and for all... :cool: :confused: (*disclaimer: I'm not 100% sure my interpretation of his answers is correct)

trashpony, kittyP, mwgdrwg and 2 others like this.
  14. skyscraper101

No from more south Minas Gerais, but you're right on the 101 uses. We use the same jar of coconut oil for cooking as we do for massage lotion.

Greebo and 1%er like this.
  15. Voley

Voley "This huge hill of flesh"

It's meant to be very good if you're recovering from diarrhoea in a tropical climate. Although anything over 4 coconuts has a laxative effect apparently so getting the amount right is very important.

(Spellcheck suggests 'Rhodesia' for 'diarrhoea' btw. Just thought I'd share that with you)

kittyP, cesare, UrbaneFox and 2 others like this.
  16. 1%er

1%er Well-Known Member

So not like cherries, really ;)

Do coconuts have a seed inside or are they the seed :confused: I think you need to call him back :D

17. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti vole-primping badman

Big fan as well but too expensive. When I spy one at a market and it's a hot day It's all I can do to not crack though...

Miss Caphat and Greebo like this.
  18. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

I always have it in place of water if out on my bike or in the gym too.

Greebo likes this.
  19. Sirena

Sirena Well-Known Member

You can buy jelly coconuts in Brixton (as well as lots of places) for about £2. If the stall-owner has a machete, he'll chop the top off and give you a straw.

Greebo and Numbers like this.
  20. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Jelly nuts are great, but I'm not half as keen on the tinned version. Haven't tried a can for a little while mind, so perhaps I'll have to try the (much more) recently promoted Vita Coco or other premium brand a go.

Greebo likes this.
  21. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

I got a dozen proper ones for £6 today, they're not huge so not sure how much water I'll get from each one yet, but I do fancy it natural.

Sirena likes this.
  22. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

What are jelly nuts?

23. Sirena

Sirena Well-Known Member

Jelly coconuts. Unripe, green ones where the hard flesh is still soft like jelly and it is full of sweet coconut water.

Greebo likes this.
  24. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Fresher, green jelly nuts - the type you machete the top off and drink up the contents - not the husky brown numbers you tend to see on a fairground coconut shy.

25. skyscraper101

The only type where you can hack off the top and stick a straw in basically

Greebo likes this.
  26. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

27. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

The ones I bought today are brown and hairy but shaking them they seem full of liquid - are they not up to scratch then?

28. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

You'll get far less coconut water in a brown nut, plus it'll be different tasting -I'd guess it'd be sweeter and less fresh through maturation, but I can't say I've ever tried.

Greebo likes this.
  29. felixthecat

felixthecat embarrassing mother

Its a different fluid when the coconut is dry (mature) - more milky.

Jelly coconuts are a gift from the gods - almost clear, slightly sweet water, the worlds best hangover cure.

Greebo likes this.
  30. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

*penny drops* (in relation to something my missus said today when I was buying them).

Cheers

Greebo likes this.