1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need an economical car?

Discussion in 'transport' started by DRINK?, Mar 13, 2012.

1. DRINK?

DRINK? bummed by karmachameleon

Ok so i need a car - I have no interest in cars what so ever though is a means to an end.

Pre requisites are that I don't want to spend over 5k. I am going to be using the car to drive 23 miles there and 23 miles back 3 or 4 times a week. The route is a reasonably fast country road / dual carriage way and I will be driving early in the morning and early evening back, so would expect most of my journey to be pottling along at 50mph

I'm thinking hatchback though have looked (online) at pretty much everything. Do I get something like a diesel golf 1.9 from about 8 years ago or a newer 1.1 petrol thing. Ultimately I have no interest in the car just want to minimise running costs from a fuel point of view though also tax/insurance etc. Help me out please
  2. mao

mao I'm totally wired

3. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Why dont you get a 2nd hand toyota aygo or something? No road tax, petrol would be pittance, insurance would be low.
  4. bi0boy

bi0boy .

No way get a diesel. You'll be doing 5K miles year, nowhere near enough to make up for the increased purchase, maintenance, and fuel costs in better fuel economy. Get a small-engined petrol like what mao posted - more reliable and cheaper to run.
  5. sim667

6. bi0boy

bi0boy .

7. sim667

Same engine?

I'd never buy a peugot as I know so many people with 206's and 307's who say theyre the most god awful car they've ever owned :hmm:
  8. bi0boy

bi0boy .

Exactly the same, made by the joint venture "Toyota Peugeot Citroën Automobile Czech"

But yeah, other pugs are shit nowadays.
  9. DRINK?

Both the Aygo and the 107 are possibilities - so small engined petrol is the wiser option
  10. sim667

Ah that explains it, I'd rather have toyota servicing etc though.
  11. Sunray

Sunray Its sunny somewhere.

This might sound like a weird idea, but did you know that nobody wants 5 series bmw's.

Check this out

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201210454258606

For what you want will do 40 mpg, its got oomph, its also got a huge boot, and roof rails which always comes in handy. Plus its will drive like floating on cloud and hardly ever go wrong. Its a BMW Diesel so will do 300,000 miles before the engine starts to wear out.

2.5k for that and you can probably haggle them down.
    DRINK? likes this.
  12. sim667

BMW servicing costs loads :(
  13. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

Yup. So would the insurance compared to a smaller engined car.
  14. sim667

Get a moped :D
  15. DRINK?

thought about a moped though think it is a bit too far and don't think it would be a ball in the winter
  16. sim667

Yeah it'd be fucking horrible in the winter
  17. dessiato

dessiato Galatians 6:10

Don't listen to me, I'm after an Audi or Saab convertible.

Get a mini
  18. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

You know you want a BMW C1 then, don't you :D
  19. sim667

Sinclair c5?
  20. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

TBH I'd start at the other end with your budget. Look at something like autotrader with your budget in mind, look for good examples and look at reviews on something honest john's. Gives you more choice that way.
  21. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Used diesel micra. Reliable, cheap insurance, easy to park. After 03 and it will be 49-55 mpg, 07 and after for bottom band of road tax.
  22. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

What about the congestion charge .. will it be eligable or exempt?
  23. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

All are eligible for the congestion charge? Do you mean the LEZ? (in which case none)
  24. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought some small non pulluting cars were exempt the congestion charge. Is that wrong?
  25. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

Electric ones, yes.
  26. Cribynkle

Cribynkle squawk

How about a Peugeot 207? Apparently the most reliable car you can get at the moment:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8404823/Peugeot-207-scoops-most-reliable-car-accolade.html

And they're relatively cheap, you'll get a 5 year old with 40k or less on the clock for under 5k (possibly even under 4k) and it'll be 1.4 or 1.6 engine so would be a bit more comfortable than a 1.1 if you do have any journeys where you need to go on the motorway - even if you don't think it's going to happen very often. Plus it's a bit bigger than the 1.1 supermini types so you'll be able to fit stuff in it if you want to go camping, pick up furniture etc. I've picked up a chair for my fella before in my Polo which wouldn't fit in his E-class can vouch for the practicality of small hatchbacks :)
  27. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

My post 07 plate diesel Micra does 110 on the motorway, and still gets 48 mpg at that speed, my average mpg is 52+ depending on what I'm up to.
  28. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

you could buy a jaguar xj6 for two grand. put the three grand saved towards running costs and you'd be quids in. plus there would be no depreciation if you sell it on. if it's old enough there'll be no road tax either.

also it would be a lovely ride and you would look cool as fuck. you could play the theme to the long good friday on a loop on the stereo.
  29. stuff_it

stuff_it Nerd burglar

You do realise that nothing post 'old X reg' can ever become tax exempt, don't you?
  30. discokermit

discokermit Well-Known Member

plenty of pre around. plus you could get classic insurance which is well cheap. the op isn't doing many miles.