1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hungarian Deli Food

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by twentythreedom, Jan 22, 2013.

1. twentythreedom

twentythreedom a Somali pirate riding a dinosaur, obviously

I noticed a nice looking new Hungarian deli in North Finchley earlier, was driving so only got a passing glance. There was a selection of salami, cured meat hanging up and a cheese counter too. So, can anyone recommend anything? Anyone got experience of Hungarian food?

2. Schmetterling

Schmetterling Morum Fember

Paprika. They will have all the different powders.

stuff_it, Greebo and twentythreedom like this.
  3. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Everything you need for a cracking goulash I reckon.

4. twentythreedom

Care to elaborate a little?

5. twentythreedom

I like paprika but know fuck all about it. What should I look for?

6. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055

The Magyars do excellent spicey salami.

Greebo and twentythreedom like this.
  7. Manter

Manter Coma-inducing

Get sweet paprika and use it with tomato, chicken, spicy sausage (or chorizo), garlic, peppers and olives to make a summery stew. Serve with lemon, salad and fresh bread. Lush

twentythreedom and Belushi like this.
  8. UrbaneFox

UrbaneFox Duck for tea, again

I bought reduced price Paprika potatoes from Waitrose the other day, and they were very nice. I served them with sausages, onion gravy and peas.

My neighbour's dad was Hungarian and used to make terribly dense casseroles with as much paprika crammed in as possible. That's all I know. Where is the deli?

twentythreedom likes this.
  9. winterinmoscow

winterinmoscow Returning Poster

Lecso - I crave it.

10. Schmetterling

Schmetterling Morum Fember

What Manter said. But also get the hot one. Aldi in this country sells the sweet, whereas Lidl in this country sells the hotter version. Smoked is very nice too but you should only add a little to your cooking. Add paprika to any tomato or pepper (any colour) based sauce along with soured cream.

This is how my Mama made roast chicken - and I do too
    Rub a chicken with salt, ground black pepper, and sweet and hot paprika under the skin. Then add the same to the skin. Put same into chicken. Roast.

To have my complete 'favourite meal at home':
    Eat with rice; spread cooked rice onto the emptied tray (must still have some of the luvverly oil on it, though) that was underneath the chicken (I add water to the tray while roasting; it keeps the chicken moist and gives better gravy); add little knobs of unsalted, continental butter until melted; mix some curry powder (any but Tikka seems the most flavoursome) into buttered rice (after rice is out of oven; if you put it into the oven the curry can become bitter).

Have with carrot and peas
    Buy this tinned from Lidl/Waitrose; it has to be tinned petit pois with carrots. Make a roux; use the fluid from the tin to make the sauce; add Maggi Fondor (any supermarket) and savoury (not that easy to get in this country but well worth sourcing).

Use the fluid from the tray to make the gravy. Just taste it to see whether it needs watering down if too salty or adding salt if not. Use potato starch/farina to thicken.

I am salivating now. And I have completely digressed but, fuck it, I have typed all this out and it will be sent!

UrbaneFox and twentythreedom like this.
  11. Orang Utan

Orang Utan like an outdated combine harvester

do they sell unicum?

12. twentythreedom

What are they? :hmm:

13. Orang Utan

Unicum is a magical viscous black substance

14. twentythreedom

Thanks, I'll give this a go. There's a Lidl about 100m from the deli too :) Any other recommendations?

15. twentythreedom

How does it taste?

16. Orang Utan

awful

17. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Two basics: Paprika and smoked paprika.
    Paprika: Sometimes comes in different varieties (i.e. from different types of pepper), which will mean that some tastes more "fruity", some more "hot" etc.
    Smoked paprika. Comes in various "depths" of smokiness and spiciness. Sold by Iberians as "Pimenton".

Both great for adding depth and flavour to stews, soups, even cheese on toast. Use the smoked stuff with a light hand.

UrbaneFox and twentythreedom like this.
  18. twentythreedom

I must get some :rolleyes:

19. Orang Utan

it will get you very drunk. a weird drunk.

20. winterinmoscow

winterinmoscow Returning Poster

21. Manter

Manter Coma-inducing

there are two versions now- there is a 'light' one that is supposed to be more palateable.

It isn't, much

22. Manter

Manter Coma-inducing

Palinka is much nicer

23. twentythreedom

What is it exactly? What's it like? Should I buy some?

24. UrbaneFox

UrbaneFox Duck for tea, again

I'm too pissed to understand this but I have great faith in it and therefore have "liked" it.

I shall try to reconstruct the dish at some point, but that may be simply the drink talking.

My article has fallen to pieces this week, and I feel I have to compensate the Editor.

25. Manter

Manter Coma-inducing

It's a herb based liqueur. It is fucking horrible m&s completely irredeemable- I have tried it straight, cold, warm, mixed, in cocktails... It is vile in every way.

Palinka otoh is delicious.

26. twentythreedom

OK, so I'll avoid that stuff. What is palinka?

27. Orang Utan

No you have to try it even though it is vile.

28. Manter

Manter Coma-inducing

It is clear spirit, fruit flavoured (all sorts of different flavours) it's very more ish

29. Manter

Manter Coma-inducing

30. twentythreedom

Thanks for the info :) Definitely going to stop and buy stuff next time I'm passing