1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTC One X review: awesome camera, great performance...

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, Apr 2, 2012.

1. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

I might get one just to annoy fractionMan.
    editor and fractionMan like this.
  2. mauvais

mauvais ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

As you would expect, I agree with fractionMan. Plus I don't know what the hell Gizmodo were on about - I looked up some camera samples and they're not obviously any better than the iPhone 4. As for displays, the best I've ever seen was on the LG Optimus 4X, but it's already at saturation point as regards actual benefit to anyone. Ooh what does it look like at 90 degrees? Flat.
    fractionMan likes this.
  3. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Personally, it's the One S that has my attention. Smaller screen (G2 sized) than the X, but same camera and just as powerful. Also very thin, under 8mm.
  4. EastEnder

The One S has a dual core CPU, the One X is quad core. The X also has twice the memory.
  5. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

This sucks. I hope it's not a sign of the direction HTC are heading.
  6. mack

mack Fact Me Till I Fart

Aye.. big mistake IMO, the phone is a beast and that will drain the battery fairly quickly.
  7. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

The One X's four cores are considerably less powerful than the One S's two. (Most benchmarks peg the dual core and the quad core as equal) And the 2x memory is for storage only, not RAM. I have a music player already and I'm unlikely to accumulate 16GB of apps. With the smaller screen, the One S even has better battery life.
  8. Gingerman

Gingerman Is a great bunch of lads.....

My Orange contract is up in June,Im very tempted
  9. Barking_Mad

Barking_Mad Non sibi sed omnibus

Another battery sucking waste of time. Seriously, until they sort this issue out, they are all fundamentally flawed. Unless you don't use it for anything much more than making phone calls..
  10. Callum91

Callum91 Digital dystopian dweller

The one S would be a more tempting choice if the screen had a higher resolution.
  11. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

+1. Non-replaceable battery or bad battery life I could live with. Both, not so much.

I'd much rather have a 200g phone with a big, replaceable battery, but I guess I'm in the minority there.
    Global Stoner likes this.
  12. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

The £10 extra capacity battery for my S2 has made a huge difference and being able to carry a tiny spare around is a real boon, so I'm unlikely to be buying one of these sealed-in affairs.
  13. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

It does unfortunately look to be the trend that all the high-end phones will have sealed batteries by this time next year. MicroSD slots will probably get a bit rare, too.
  14. mack

mack Fact Me Till I Fart

Also, whats the deal with the micro sims? do you have to get in touch with your provider and get a new sim?
  15. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

I've been told it's possible to carve up a regular one to fit a micro sim slot. Personally, I wouldn't try it.
  16. EastEnder

Just as well, given that only 12Gb is available for user storage.
  17. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Given that I'm still using a Desire, I'm unlikely to find that limiting. I've not even seen anyone at work fill up their 3GS 8GB phones once music is removed and there's a lot more interesting iOS apps. If you find 16GB small then you're going to find 32GB smallish and you'll need to go for something with an SD slot.
  18. EastEnder

My current phone has 512Mb, but it's not very smart, so wouldn't know what to do with more. My concern with the One S is whether 12Gb of available storage is sufficiently future proof. Assuming one were planning on sticking with the phone for at least a couple of years, 12Gb in a phone with no microSD slot feels a tad impecunious.

The benchmarking comparisons of the X & S are interesting, this lot have done a comprehensive comparison: http://www.slashgear.com/htc-one-x-vs-htc-one-s-benchmarking-war-03221385/

The CF-bench results are quite telling - the X significantly out performs the S in most native areas, but far less so in higher level processes (such as Java). Which would seem to suggest that at least some of the discrepancy is due to the OS and/or other infrastructure running on it not being optimised to best exploit a quad core architecture. Possibly this is an area that may be rectified by future firmware/OS updates.
  19. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

I doubt it. Phones just aren't used in a way (nor are they likely to in the near future) that will make a quad core solution compelling. The Tegra3 was designed specifically for the tablet market, with the provision to run at speeds and voltages that make it usable in a phone. The whole fifth core thing is just NV admitting that they can't get power draw low enough, so they're sacrificing die space (and thus, profits) for the low-powered extra core. It's a great marketing trick the way they've turned it around and made it seem like such an awesome idea. Meanwhile they wouldn't need it if they'd got to grips with the power draw on the main cores.

That's not to say Tegra3 is a bad solution for a top end phone - it's very powerful. Just that Krait is a bit more efficient and more than capable enough while still sipping power a bit better.
  20. mauvais

mauvais ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Since you only have one application in focus at a time, only games will feasibly make any use of more than two cores. Even with two cores, it's almost never anything but a separation of UI and background processing, which seemed fairly nicely handled on a single core to be honest.
  21. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

I am not happy about a phone whose battery is non-removable, especially as it seems from the review to not be very long lasting.
  22. editor

Plus you won't be able to laugh at powerless iPhone users as you simply slot in that cheap replacement battery.
  23. mauvais

mauvais ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I don't care about the SD card by the way, never removed mine from the Desire, but the non-removable battery is a killer - I did have two spares to carry about but I lost one. They turn useless after a while anyway.
  24. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

There exist clip-on batteries for the iPhone, and if they sell enough of these you'll see those too. Particularly for the X, since it drinks a bit more and is already a bit fatter. The S already has a bit better battery life and its slimness is a huge selling point, so people might not warm to a battery pack.
  25. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

Why though :confused:

Would people really be that bothered by a couple of extra mm, never mind then factoring in the massive improvement in battery life you could get?
  26. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

27. Onket

Onket Gertcha

If anyone is getting rid of a Galaxy S2 in order to get this new one, since I lost my S2 I'm interested in their old one. :/
  28. mauvais

mauvais ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Clip-on battery packs are a stupid compromise for people too proud to admit it.
  29. editor

30. editor

I don't think many S2 users are going to be tempted by this handset, particularly with the S3 around the corner.

How the hell did you lose your phone, btw?