1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTC Flyer 7" note-taking Android tablet announced

Discussion in 'mobiles and tablets' started by editor, Feb 15, 2011.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's here! Android-powered tablet with 7-inch 1024 x 600 resolution Super LCD touch screen, backed by a 1.5GHz Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon single-core processor, 1GB of RAM plus 32GB of flash storage - plus pen input for drawing, notes and sketches.

I'm liking the look of this.

http://www.wirefresh.com/htc-flyer-...-looks-to-be-the-ultimate-note-taking-device/

2. editor

I've just watched the video. I'm very impressed. Great size and the pen is great for not taking.

3. kalmatthew

kalmatthew Lurker Extrodinaire

Looks intresting, but I cant work out if its a restive touch screen or a stylus for capacitive or if its using the wacom stile digitiser, any guesses?

4. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 Least LA person in LA

Looks like a very neat bit of kit. The size looks perfect and the guy doing the demo seemed to be able to be able to comfortably hold it in one hand for a good ten minutes so I'm guessing its pretty light too.

lol @ the geeky sounding guy asking all the questions in his desperation to get information :D

5. editor

The screen response looked pretty smooth and responsive to finger swiping on the video and the pen input looks fantastic. This is much closer to what I'm looking for in a tablet - small enough to not make me feel like a knob if I'm using it in a cafe, but big enough for web browsing - and with the ability to sketch too.

[​IMG]

The official site is here: http://www.htc.com/www/product/flyer/overview.html

6. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

Nice software there. I think a squarer aspect ratio would help though - seems too narrow in portrait and too short in landscape.

7. editor

If it went any fatter there'd be no chance of wedging it in a pocket, so I guess it's a fair compromise, I reckon (after all, quite a few notebooks run 1024 x 600 too). There is talk of a 9" model coming up too, but I want something that is easy to hold and small enough to use like a sketchbook I'm out.

The SD slot/removable battery/pen input/screen size sure are ticking my boxes.

8. Crispy

And those netbooks with 600 vertical pixels are too short as well! So many interface elements are horizontal. I can imagine typing in a browser in landscape on a screen this shape doesn't leave much room for the rest of the page!

But, compromises have to be made as you shrink the screen, so I'm ok with it, really. And it might not be such a problem if this machine has good handwriting recognition.

9. DrRingDing

DrRingDing PotValiantFenman

Shame it carries on the tablet theme of having a huge bezel.

10. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

If they bring out a 9" version of that I'll be first in the queue.

11. beesonthewhatnow

Where would you put your thumbs if they weren't there?

12. Crispy

You need one if you're going to hold it with your hands. Anything wider than a palm-width needs somewhere to put your thumbs.

13. DrRingDing

I'm confident it wouldn't be the hardest thing in the world to code around.

I've got a feeling they are just using the extra space to save on costs.

14. editor

If you've got your thumbs smudging all over a touchscreen while you're using it, you're going to get a very confused machine in your hands.

15. Crispy

It would be very hard to code around! How do you differentiate a resting thumb from a purposeful touch?

16. DrRingDing

Time would be the first thing to factor in; you would be holding the tablet longer than a tap takes.

17. DrRingDing

The next thing to take into consideration would be that your thumbs would only likely be in two areas. These you could make areas that consider the additional rules.

18. Crispy

This would delay the reaction to any tap near the edges of the screen, while it waits to see if this is a hold or a tap.
    Also, tap-hold is a valid and core interaction with Android. Your proposal would disallow any tap-holds on the edges of the screen.

19. DrRingDing

A tap is two things, a contact and a release. A thumb hold would not release for a while whereas the tap would release after a fraction of a second.

20. DrRingDing

If the release is over 0.45 second then it's a thumb.

21. DrRingDing

...or something similar.

I just want a hi res, all screen 7" tablet, with removable battery and memory.

I think I may have to wait a while.

22. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

That's the first tablet that I could possibly justify owning. Everything else so far has been a bit of a frippery.

23. beesonthewhatnow

Anyone know how/if you could print from it?

24. editor

Android does wireless printing - so long as your printer is connected to a network you should be fine.
    What happens if you want to use your thumb to access a menu in the corner?

25. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

Looks like the price will be more than how much iPads are currently (although not sure what version). Still, that might make me reconsider.

26. DrRingDing

Will the corner be in the 'thumb zone'?

If not then as you were. If so, then if would come down to if the contact was a tap or a hold (decided by release time).

Or summit.

27. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 Least LA person in LA

Seems like a useful thing to invent would be a strap handle which you could slip a hand under on the back. That way you could hold the device in one hand more securely.

28. beesonthewhatnow

How does it work? None of the apps (photos, notes etc) seem to have any printing options.

Do you have to download another app/plugin or something?

29. editor

I'd gamble that it won't cost more than an iPad, but it's certainly not going to be a cheapo tablet. There's going to be a cheaper wi-fi only version too.

Bees: here's one way you can print - http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011...droid-to-any-printer-with-google-cloud-print/

30. beesonthewhatnow

This is good, it strikes me as pointless getting a 3G one if you've already got a hotspot creating Android phone...