1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How was your cycle commute?

Discussion in 'transport' started by ChrisFilter, Feb 19, 2009.

1. gentlegreen

gentlegreen ¡Nadie espera a la babosa española!

fuchsiacrocs.jpg

I wonder if they do matching sealskin socks ?

2. plurker

plurker tú no tienes la culpa mi amor que el mundo sea feo

Arrived at work, stuck key in D-lock (Kryptonite New York) turned key and the lock fell apart into about 7 bits of metal and 2 springs.

Hmm, think I, that’s odd – but no probs cause it’s got a lifetime guarantee. So I take all the bits to Evans, from whence it came, and get told I need to send it to Kryptonite, who then assess if it’s a manufacturer fault or my fault, then send me a new lock. Process takes about 3 weeks. In the meantime I need to buy a new lock.

Ask the Evans-ers if I can buy the same lock, then when Kryptonite send a replacement swap them over so the store still has the same amout of stock. Nope, no can do :hmm:
    So now I’ve had to buy a new £80 lock, and in three weeks time I’ll get yet another £80 lock to replace the busted one.

I’m all for having additional security but I can’t afford a spare £80!! :mad: Returns policy FAIL!

3. Onket

Onket Gertcha

This happened^

I now have a new seat post, correctly fitted.

What do people thing about the angle/height of the seat?

Mine is now higher than it was and angled forward and it seems like I'm riding downhill everywhere, it's great. A lot more weight seems to be on my arms and handlebars though, which I'll have to get used to.

4. gentlegreen

I find it takes a fair bit of tweaking to get right. I'm never without allen keys in my manbag.
    I'm forever thinking about how I could make some sort of XYZ gauge so I can adjust it in a logical way.

I held onto my last saddle till the bitter end because I find changing saddles so traumatic.
    I'm getting fond of my Brooks B17, but I probably need a different seatpost so I can mount it further forward.

I also have a handlebar riser because my bike was agony when I first bought it.

There's clearly a mismatch between me and the bike because my feet are never symmetrical on the pedals and I have cyclist's palsy ...

palsy.JPG

5. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

The low gears on my middle set are slipping a bit and when I start pedaling again after freewheeling, the chain doesn't always 'bite' the cassette, so I get my legs whirring without affecting the bike at all. It's still rideable, but it's going into the local shop next week for a new chain and cassette. :(

6. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

That's rubbish. If that had been sold in my shop we'd just have given you a new lock, provided it didn't appear to have been abused. Then sent it back ourselves.

plurker likes this.
  7. weepiper

that sounds more like the freewheel mechanism/freehub body's going tbh.

8. stavros

Hmm, bike shop bloke quoted me about £50 for what he thought needed doing, but I suspect it might end up being somewhat more. :(

9. weepiper

thing is, it could easily be both the chain and cassette being worn AND the freehub body being worn. Just try and keep thinking 'it's cheaper than a car' and 'I am only wearing bits out because I am riding it lots and my phenomenal manly thighs are just too powerful for mere bicycle components to cope'.

stavros and a_chap like this.
  10. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

:D
    I like this way of looking at it.

11. gentlegreen

I've just replaced the whole of my transmission after 1 year / 3 thousand miles or so - hopefully I'll get my finger out this time and start rotating two chains so I can have them off alternately to be cleaned properly, and actually measure the wear, but even the previous year when I swapped chains and cassettes fairly early, the chainwheels seemed to last no longer - while I keep reading of people using chainwheels for years ...

After running the new chain and cassette on the old chainwheels for 70 miles or so, I'm still having the odd funny moment ... :hmm:

It would help if I had a simple odometer I could actually leave hidden on the bike - rather than having to type up every journey I make. I hereby volunteer to be GPS-chipped if it's feasible ...

12. stavros

That's my philosophy, yes. It has had a lot of use, so wear and tear will be inevitable. Bit of a nightmare this morning, whirring on reasonably busy roundabouts, one where I'd just been overtaken by a police car.

My thighs, yesterday;

[​IMG]

13. gentlegreen

Pleasant-enough recreational ride - though I possibly should have got ready last night so I could start out fairly early in the morning when the sun was fully out - though when the temp was way down ... the Easterly breeze picked up by 3.30 so I had to move to a sheltered spot, but then a huge cloud blocked out the sun .. when I was half way home the sun came out properly ... also have to ride on the roads to get there where I encountered lots of arrogant twats driving too fast along narrow streets.

My 8 speed SRAM X4 shifter was a bit vague when I first fitted it a year ago and it's now started to stick .. dropped the chain off the 11 tooth cog on the way home so I'll have to tweak it tomorrow.

I found with SRAM grip-shifters that it was worth going up a notch or two in quality - but it's all 9 to 11 speed these day - or Shimano compatible ...

14. gentlegreen

Phew. That was a relief - all that had happened was I didn't clamp the cable well enough - gears seem to be changing fine now. I also adjusted the rear limit screw.

I still fancy an upgrade. I suppose it depends whether, when I buy a second MTB and have this one as a spare - or vice versa. I definitely need a spare bike. I may have a look in the bike shop down the road and see what they have available as secondhand.

In any case, I wonder how long they will make 8 speed shifters ...

15. gentlegreen

I'm watching the sky at the moment.
    The sun came out earlier, but just had a short cloudburst ... and it's started again.

If the day ends with a decent sunny window I really ought to take advantage - even if it's just a 20 mile trundle to Bath and back - not sure I'm up for any sprinting...

Alternatively it's lunch and Red Dwarf repeats. :p

16. gentlegreen

No ride for me. Rain, cold and dark. :(

17. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

was having a great ride, no headwind, full of beans, when pfffffffffffff!!!!!!

Huge nail through extra tough tyre, straight through the middle then coming off to the side. Unbelievable. Luckily only 10 min walk away from work at that point.

Question, if I change the tube, would it be stupid to use the same tyre? Don't want to buy a new one, only just got these put in!

18. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

The most upsetting thing about it was that we were in the middle of a race and I was just ahead, but got overtaken because of tire explosion :( :( She's a girl I've seen about before, similar build to me, on a racing bike. She overtook me last time but today I was ahead.

Maybe she shot my tire with a nail gun :D

19. gentlegreen

If there's a significant hole in the outer, you can make internal patches with bits of old tyre, or I think certain kinds of inner tube patch.
    I was a bit sceptical when I read that because surely if they're skinny 23 or 25mm tyres, you end up with a permanent bulge ...

It's the other way with me. I haven't had a visit from the P* fairy since I rode over half a bottle and nearly cut one in half and Conti used to supply brand new inner tubes with every new tyre, so I'm always hesitant to use a patched inner tube or even an old one with a new outer ..

girasol likes this.
  20. Pgd

Pgd Well-Known Member

I've had a piece of old denim inside my rear tyre for about 6 months now, after an oversized piece of glass worked its way right through. It's worked fine and has no noticeable bulge (25mm). Even better, when my freewheel/hub failed a while back and the LBS fitted a new wheel, they went to the trouble of properly re-installing my shim with adhesive! (which I only found out about recently when I had another, minor, rear puncture). Bless 'em.

girasol and gentlegreen like this.
  21. gentlegreen

Bloody hell ...

I have an extra long rear wheel spindle because my rack sits on it. I was really pushing it on the way home and I heard a bang and thought I'd lost a pannier - then I thought I had a rear flat....

It was only loose and unhitched, but slightly worrying ...

22. gentlegreen

Damn ! Damn ! Damn !

I may have over-(copper)-greased my new pedal / crank interfaces and under-tightened the pedals (or not at all :oops:) and the right one - It would have to be the right one - :( may have torn half the threads out of the crank that's attached to the non-detachable sprockets. :(

Probably serves me right for treating the last mile like I'm competing with Cavendish...

So I'll have a spare £20 crankset cluttering the place up until I find someone to put a thread insert in for a fiver.... and I'll be limping along with my old worn crankset until the new one arrives.

23. nadia

nadia Well-Known Member

Today I was cut up massively on a roundabout, and while I stopped some other idiot tried to drive into me. Have invested in flouro jacket, it won't help

24. gentlegreen

Probably not. :(

I have always had very bright lights and I usually consider them to be more of a political statement justifying swearing at the morons and these days hopefully YouTubing them .. sometimes the culprits show up and make idle threats...

In certain cities you can report them.

25. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Still is DownwardDog

Re-thread the crankarm yourself. You just need a 1/2" x 20tpi tap, you can probably get one for a tenner.

26. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Seems that two cyclists down on my commuting route this morning. Although given where the reported incidents happened it may only be one. Always makes the journey into work that bit more interesting.

27. gentlegreen

I would need an insert too - trouble is the whole cheap and nasty riveted thing only cost £20. :mad:

So I'm going to re-visit replacing the cogs on the posh crankset I took off - in reality it's only the middle 38 tooth one that needs doing - though now that the new chain's done a hundred miles or so it doesn't feel as rough ...

worncogs.jpg

Just under £30 for the whole thing, or £15 just for the middle cog - madness !
    I pay a premium for not using 22/32/42 standard MTB ratios ...

---------------------------------------

So it may be time to rethink so that I use my cogs more evenly. At the moment it's far too easy to stay on the middle cog for nearly everything - 26 inch wheels, 38 F, 11 to 34 rear ...

I can get a 22 tooth sprocket for £6, so I would again pay a premium for a 24 or 26 ... a cheap 42 tooth outer MTB cog won't work as a middle one ... I do use the 48 tooth big cog a couple of times a day and when out on a run ....

28. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Still is DownwardDog

The tap just recuts the thread in whatever is left of the original material, it doesn't use a helicoil or similar. It might work... if you're lucky...

29. gentlegreen

Nah it's rocking about in there :( I initially assumed I'd lost some ball bearings from my new £11 pedals ...

30. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Marred by the grim site of a man cycling over Blackfriars Bridge in an all-in-one skin coloured lycra number :eek:

gentlegreen likes this.