1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How was your cycle commute?

Discussion in 'transport' started by ChrisFilter, Feb 19, 2009.

1. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

yeah, have people regularly coming off the pavement onto the road - most of them wait, but there's the occasional one who just barges in, in front of traffic/cyclists. Accident waiting to happen.

2. Onket

Onket Gertcha

^^There's a lot of this at the moment on Coldharbour Lane where there's roadworks shutting the road down into a single lane controlled by temp traffic lights. Combine it with all the cars following each other through after the lights have changed and it's a bit of a nightmare.

Anyway, forgot I was donating platelets yesterday after work so I left my bike at work, forgot I wasn't in today so it's still there (hopefully) and I'll have to get the bus in tomorrow. Quite looking forward to spending the time on the bus reading, that's the thing I miss when I cycle. That and not feeling hungry and tired all the time!

3. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Nadie espera a la babosa española

Is it a coincidence that my health starts to return on the "first day of spring" ?
    The forsythia's starting to bloom too. :)

When I was nearly home, I actually felt myself getting slightly frustrated at being behind someone who was cycling at a sensible speed on the railway path. :oops:

4. Crispy

Crispy Fond of drink and industry

I just rode through this. Christ! Fucking carnage it was. Any idea how long it's for?

5. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

For me, it's not just the inherent danger of it, but also giving all cyclists, of which I am one, a bad name.

6. London_Calling

London_Calling Pleasant and unpatronising

7. a_chap

a_chap Welcome, my son. Welcome to The Machine.

Including me. Since I got a bike with disk brakes for the first time (Jan 2011) I'm a complete convert.

8. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Was doing a guided wine tasting in the shop tonight so left sharpish before the leftovers started getting passed around. Should probably ride after a glass or two more often - avg speed was a shade down on my normal outbound journey and top speed was higher than ride into work (although I was hungry on the way in).

9. fjydj

fjydj is specified

i've put BB7s on a road bike, well a CX bike but its never going to go off road! they are just fantastic, really smooth and light to operate. No rim wear or pad dirt, and they work in the wet.

10. girasol

girasol visual spaceship pilot

Wasn't expecting fog this morning!!!! Was having a fun race with another woman for a good 15 minutes (she had a similar build to me, she was on a road bike and I was on my hybrid) - we were pretty well matched, but she ruined it all by cheating and jumping the lights!!!! It was fun while it lasted :)

11. ExtraRefined

ExtraRefined Better than you at everything you love

Very foggy, visibility below 100m in places. Rode like a complete granny consequently.

12. The Boy

The Boy YNKWFIGTTU

Was such a lovely morning today that had I not been helping the missus move in then I would have been straight on the bike. Thankfully, we had the move though as it pissed down at least twice.

Will probably go for a spin along the canal tomorrow.

13. a_chap

I'm poor and can only afford BB5's, but they still out-perform any rim-brake I've had.

I currently have the CycleScheme-dilemma. Where I work is doing the annual 12-month-rental-zero-interest thing and I'm tempted. However, I'm too emotionally attached to my 14-year-old commuting bike.

14. weepiper

weepiper eb slootly non verbal

The only problem I have with disc brakes on a commuting bike is that the pads get easily contaminated, if you ride through puddles with spilt diesel or petrol in them then your pads get contaminated with it and the brakes then basically don't work unless you replace the pads which at 12-15 quid a pop is a bit of a pain. Apart from that they make perfect sense and get rid of the hassle of getting your wheels rebuilt every however many miles because of rim wear. I don't know why rim brake pads don't do this but they don't.

15. a_chap

Blimey, I always bow to your superior knowledge Madame Weeps but I have to say that I've not noticed any problems with my disk brake pads despite riding plenty of miles through pretty dodgy rain/filth/diesel, etc.

One thing that worries me is that my aged commuting bike (did I say it was 14 years old?) is still on the same rims. I have nightmares about them finally wearing through and ruining my day/face.

16. weepiper

Do they feel concave when you put the flat of your fingertip on them? If so, maybe it'd better be new wheel time sooner rather than later. Do the front one first, because when a front rim pops it can be rather terminal. When the back one goes you can at least control the skid. usually you'll get some kind of warning of it being imminent by a sort of 'pulsing' feel through the brake levers under hard braking, as the weakest section of rim begins to bulge out before it splits

17. a_chap

I shall rub my finger along my rims first thing tomorrow (no sniggering at the back there) Madame Le Weep.

weepiper likes this.
  18. nadia

nadia Well-Known Member

My experience with these exactly, they are a faff to fit if they fit at all, it's three hours out of my life I won't get back

19. joustmaster

joustmaster not a racist

i've finished paying for my bike through the evans version of this scheme. now i'm tempted to get another...

20. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Keep the old bike for commuting, and invest the cyclescheme dosh in a higher spec newbie for weekend pleasure riding. I'm sure your employer won't police the fact you won't be using it for getting to work - mine never did.

21. a_chap

Ok, a little late admittedly, but I've been and run the old digit around the commuting bike's rims. Erm... can I say "inconclusive"? The rim definitely isn't convex, I'd say it was more flat rather than convex or concave.

But then in the past, and more than once, my fingers have been accused of being less-than-sensitive. So who am I to judge?

22. a_chap

Yes, but I have a bike for weekend riding pleasure already.

What I need is a wangle to get the cycle scheme to pay for a total overhaul of my old bike... Any creative suggestions?

23. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Still is DownwardDog

Most bicycle disc brake pads are sintered and hence, to some degree, porous. I've had success baking oil contaminants out of them - 20 mins at 220 deg worked for me. Usual caveats apply when doing stinky maintenance experiments in the kitchen.

24. weepiper

yeah that makes sense. Never tried baking them, have sometimes been able to save them by shaking them up in a jam jar of brake cleaner. Often the problem can be getting the rotor itself clean enough too, if it's gotten grooved at all.

25. gentlegreen

gentlegreen Nadie espera a la babosa española

Such a lovely day yesterday. Gave my bike its 100 mile maintenance, but I'm rarely up to much exertion on a Saturday....

Sunday has started off wet here in Bristol.
    Nearly cleared now from the west, but it's 5 degrees C out with a north-east wind. :p
    I'll wait and see if any actual sunshine appears before considering what was supposed to be my first 20-miler in over 3 months ....

26. fjydj

fjydj is specified

the pads seem a bit of a mystery to me, I put avid organic pads in mine as the sintered ones were a bit harsh… but whats the difference? I'm never going to use them in muddy off road conditions.

27. weepiper

organic ones give better braking but wear out faster

28. joustmaster

joustmaster not a racist

My back wheel was a bit wonky this week. Looked buckled or something. So I took it the shop to see if they could do something with it. When I took it off I noticed a snapped spoke too.

The Man in the shop dismantled it and found the axel snapped!

So I've a new wheel now.

Maybe I need less pies in future.

29. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

The rims on my rear wheel feel concave. I've had my bike for 2 1/2 years, I use it a lot. What do I do? Get a whole new wheel? What about the gears? I don't understand how it works.

30. weepiper

It depends what kind of bike it is, if it was a relatively expensive bike £600ish or up it might be worth getting a new rim rebuilt onto the hub if the hub's still in good nick, if it was cheaper than that you're probably better off buying a whole new wheel. The gear cluster comes off and can be fitted onto the new wheel.