1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How mad is the US

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by james_walsh, Sep 28, 2005.

1. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Peebs, the last time I tried arguing the case for evolution on Poulter's boards I had my account suspended and then banned for 'too much linking', as well as seeing the usual repsonse of all your buddies - as soon as you're presented with actual evidence and complex argument that you have to think about you change topic/ignore the point being made.

And yes, I know lots of people on here do that as well but we're not talking about them at the moment.
  2. exleper

exleper is on your ignore list

from 'Repent America', in the OP, this in a little sidebar:

I originally thought it was a parody; alarmingly, it looks real. This is one of the worst fundamentalist right-wing pieces of crap I've seen on the internet in a while...

this from their 'about' section'

:eek:
  3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze Hawking's Angry Eyebrow

Fuck man, at least they're Xtians who believe in God and the Devil...

It's like the Big Lebowksi - say what you like about the Nazi's but at least they had an ideology, man.
  4. quamp1

quamp1 New Member

Well, the whole 'God hates homosexuals' thing really makes me mad.
    Recently a preacher I heard cited a report saying an estimated 1 of every 90 people in San Francisco is homeless. He stated this was because God was punishing them for accepting homosexuality.
    If God really hated homosexuals, they wouldn't exist in the first place. However, that sort of argument to them goes in one ear and out the other.
  5. KeyboardJockey

KeyboardJockey Clowns to the Left of me

God must really love me he made me love all genders ;) :)
  6. Fruitloop

Fruitloop communism will win

7. Andy the Don

Andy the Don Wise men say only fools..

Its like that penguin film, the one that has all the intelligent design nuts saying how it proves intelligent design..

Well, if the penguin is an example of ID then & if they have to walk many miles to get to the ocean, why did this super intelligent designer give them legs 2 inches long..??

Either he has no idea of stride length or he/she has something against penguins & fancies a good laugh..
  8. Andy the Don

Andy the Don Wise men say only fools..

Well doubles your chance of a "shag" on a Saturday night.. ;)

Stands to reason, why exclude 50% of potential "pulls" just because they happen to be the wrong sex.. :D
  9. KeyboardJockey

Yup, whats the point of having a cake if you aint going to eat it. :D
  10. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

If heaven is full of people like 'them' I'd rather not go there.
  11. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

:D
  12. angry bob

angry bob all things are space

At least america has a distinct separation of church and state. Unlike the UK ... where they pray in state schools.

Not sure what it is the british object to in the religous right. Oviously here it would be the 'right' aspect of it, but there are right wing people everywhere.

Obviously there are odious nutjobs here who think hurricanes were caused by god punishing homosexuals but they are not even slightly representative of the religious right let alone the american people as a whole. Britain also has it's fair share of odious nutjobs ...
  13. KeyboardJockey

It might have something to do with the british killing each other in large numbers and oppressing one group or another for about 400 years and this is possibly why we have a modern Church of England which is essentially liberal (but it does have it's fraggles) and a distrust of politically powerful religious figures.

Don't forget it is only about 150 years since Catholics were emancipated from restrictions and we still have the politico-religious hangover in Northern Ireland.

I agree we have have our own share of right wing nutters but they are more misguided patriots and perveyors of racial identity politics rather than based on a 'christian' ethos.
  14. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Untermensch, and proud!

Well said.
  15. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Aye and there is a sizeable lobby that does not want a separation of church and state. Have you seen the right wing press lately?
  16. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman New Member

.......Except when small-guns are kickin' our ass, presently!!!! :eek:

Welcome to 'Nam II.........
  17. exleper

exleper is on your ignore list

18. angry bob

angry bob all things are space

Tell me about it. That pat robertson nutcase for one. But I still don't think that's a majority view ... even within the christian right (which I assume to mean churchgoers who vote republican?).

I think the UK always sees or hears about the extreme viewpoints from the states and perhaps assumes such views are more common than they actually are?

It's also worth pointing out that the size of the US population inevitably produces a greater volume of extremists.
  19. parallelepipete

parallelepipete Aelod cysylltiol y Taliban Cymraeg

That's assuming he's benevolent, and I'd say that assumption is unsustainable given the behaviour of his/her/its most devoted followers in the US.
  20. nino_savatte

nino_savatte No pasaran!

Have you come across these guys? They were featured on Newsnight a couple of weeks ago.
    http://www.joshgen.org/

Patrick Henry College
    http://www.phc.edu/about/default.asp

In other words, creating the future automatons that will lead America. :D

But seriously, there is a dedicated hardcore of homeschoolers who believe it is their mission to shape America's destiny.
  21. Jo/Joe

Jo/Joe New Member

Yeah, because none of you fuckers will accept evidence from sources you disapprove of, or anything that contradicts your insular mindsets. You cannot win an argument with an idiot. It's a paradox.
  22. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

You have to have solid non-partisan sorces same as here.

Why would you want a double standard?
  23. KeyboardJockey

The thing is there are lots and lots of published and peer reveiwed non partisan sources for evolution.

You can't say the same for creationism.
  24. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

Correct and they all state its an unproven theory.

Just like inteligent design is a theory.
  25. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

IT'S NOT A FUCKING THEORY.

Ahem,

Sorry, you were saying something stupid? Do carry on.
  26. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

WE havn't proved it yet, so its a theory.

Their are no other alternatives.

You smoking crack or what tonight?

And yes thats a fair question late on a friday night on urban.
  27. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

It fails the test for a scientific theory, thus it is not a theory.

It's superstition.
  28. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

AS declaired by king bob. :rolleyes:
  29. Bob_the_lost

Bob_the_lost Elsewhere

Now you're getting it.
  30. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

The us isn't part of your kingdom bob.