1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How live video was broadcast from the first Moon landing [enhanced videos)

Discussion in 'science and environment' started by editor, Jul 21, 2012.

1. editor

editor Like an ultra left hatboy on heat

2. editor

Interesting crushing of the 'it was all a hoax' arguments:

Limejuice and BigTom like this.
  3. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

Excellent stuff. "It would be easier to just go to the moon".

I feel slightly guilty for the moon hoax theory because in 1971 when I was at college, I was part of a group that had to make a video. and I said something that might have fed into it. This was old fashioned video (at the time it was the latest thing of course). We were allowed to make a 3 minute advert. My group chose to make an advert for holidays on the moon using some still photographs I had taken from the television of the moon landing in 69. I still have the negatives. One of the shots was of an astronaut using a drill to explore the surface of the moon. These stills were linked together with background music (Major Tom) and a talk-over reporting that a hotel was being built on the moon for visitors and saying that these holidays would be available soon.

As this video was being made and titles put on etc., I remember saying that I didn't think that America really existed. I put forward the idea that America was itself a piece of fiction created by Hollywood and that it seemed too over the top to be real. Hollywood movies and American adverts always struck me as being unbelievable and corny. I worked out the theory that Hollywood was itself a fiction created by our own film industry in Pinewood. Hollywood/Pinewood a bit of a coincidence that. I had never been to America and no-one in the small group making our video had either, at that time, although one did later so the only evidence of its existence was film and television which are vehicles of fiction. So if America was just made up then also its achievements were also fictional, including the moon landing.

Sadly the idea that America was a fictional construct did not catch on, but years later the moon landing hoax came to my attention. I did wonder if I was partly responsible.

thriller and two sheds like this.
  4. editor

Man, I'd love to have been driving this car.

5. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

The angle of shadow on that flag's all wrong.

6. Hocus Eye.

Hocus Eye. Snap, crop, scrap crap

To be clear my idea was a fantasy. I knew that America existed really and of course realised that the moon landing was real. I would not have stayed up all night with my camera on a tripod pointing at the old black and white TV otherwise.

I have looked at many of the hoax theory pictures and all the nonsense about shadows being wrong along with the flag supposedly flapping in the non-existent wind. I have done enough photography with lights to know how shadows form. For example that craters have shadows on the opposite side to hummocks which. baffles some who fall for the conspiracy theorists talking about "craters" having inconsistent shadows.

7. two sheds

two sheds not as daft as i look

I've had people go through the different angles the shadow's coming from and how it must be a setup and I've just nodded wisely. I've found that doing anything else extends the conversation by a good half hour.