1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I stop squirrels from eating my plants?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by EatMoreChips, Apr 7, 2005.

1. EatMoreChips

EatMoreChips Fate Amenable To Change

I've thought about putting netting over, but that seems a bit complicated. Is there anything I can plant that they'll refuse to go near? Grey squirrels, by the way, if it makes any difference.
  2. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

.22 Air Rifle and a decent telescopic sight!
  3. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Nope, squirrels are feckers. No way to stop them in my experience...

:(
  4. Backatcha Bandit

Backatcha Bandit Burn the Furniture

Try giving the .22 to the rabbits and tell them that the squirrels hate their freedom. ;)
  5. Loki

Loki RIP R.I.P.

pbman?
  6. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I have to say, I agree with the airgun comments bearing in mind the destruction wrought by grey squirrels in my daughters garden and kitchen :mad: You can stop them eating bulbs if you plant the bulbs in a cage of chickenwire but otherwise shoot the fuckers...I have a recipe for squirrel from the White Trash Cookbook if anyone's interested...actually I've already transcribed and posted it...I'll have a look and see if it's still here.....
  7. Mrs Magpie

8. Mrs Magpie

No. it's not, although it's mentioned...I'll transcribe it.....
  9. Mrs Magpie

Fried Squirrel
    Make sure all the hair is cleaned off the Squirrel. Cut it up. If it's old and tough put it in the pressure cooker for about 15-20 minutes. Salt and pepper it. Cover it with flour and fry in a cast iron skillet on a medium fire till brown and tender. This is a real sweet meat. You can smother a squirl just like a chicken.

Broiled squirrel.
    Squirrel is one of the finest and tenderest of all wild meats. Its flavour is mild, rarely gamey. There is no need for soaking, and seldom any need for parboiling. They should be cleaned [eviscerated] as soon as possible after shooting but skinning may wait till they're ready to be cooked. Clean squirrels and rub with salt and pepper. Brush with fat and place on hot broiling [grilling] rack. Broil for 40mins, turning frequently and basting with drippins every 10 mins. Serve with gravy from drippins and season with 1 to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
  10. EatMoreChips

Sadly, my flatmate got rid of his gun (which is quite a hard thing to do for a Texan) so we might have to come up with a more cunning ruse. Actually, it'll probably just be the chicken-wire. He dug up our newly sprouted peas this morning, the swine - the squirrel, not the Texan...
  11. Stobart Stopper

Stobart Stopper Well-Known Member

Make sure you give them lots of nuts.
  12. pbman

pbman (mo-lone lah-veh)

Shoot them.

Or trap them.
  13. Mrs Magpie

14. Red40

Red40 Well-Known Member

We use to have a big problem with squirrels, even contacted the council about it. They gave us a trap to catch them in and when asked were do we dispose of the squirrel the response was "put the trap in a water butt" at the last count we had disposed of 33 squirrels, well I didn't my neighbour did. :rolleyes:
  15. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx purves grundy - definitely a bloke

16. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

Apparently chilli powder deters them, but i've not tested it.
  17. EatMoreChips

Maybe I'll give that a go, but I can't imagine that chilli powder's too good for the taste of herbs, is it?
  18. milesy

milesy New Member

how about putting a sing in your garden?

"dear tufty and friends, please do not eat my plants, ta very much, yours etc.."

ees wortha go innit boss? :)
  19. pogofish

pogofish Testicle Hairstyle

Get yourself a squirrel dog :D

[​IMG]
  20. mmmSkyscraper

mmmSkyscraper Banned Banned

Just crazy pave the fucking lot.
  21. marco mark

marco mark New Member R.I.P.

aaaawww, i want one (the dog, that is)
  22. fee

fee Active Member

this is what my dog looks like with my new kitten :(

moth balls.....squirel dont come in your loft if you fill it with em, but ya flowers might not smell as sweet!
  23. Shirl

Shirl donkey dory

Wolfie uses a warer pistol. It doesn't work but it makes him happy :D :D
  24. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

Black pepper.....sprinckled around the plants seems to work....but you have to reapply often. I hope it's going to work as I've just planted some marigold seedlings

I've heard human hair deters them, but I've not tried this...I'm thinning a bit too much and have none to spare
  25. pseudonarcissus

pseudonarcissus fluttering and dancing

from tipking.com:

Keep squirrels away from plants, bulbs and bird feeders

Squirrels are fun to watch. They are very ingenious and cunning on their quest for food. However their idea of food is not always what we have in mind. So here are a few ideas.

If squirrels are eating your young plants or bulbs then sprinkle some blood meal around the bulb or on the surface of the soil near the new plants. The squirrels will give them a wide birth.

To keep squirrels away from bird feeders. Add liberally a cheap brand of cayenne pepper to bird seed. Squirrels hate it.

I have also had the following tip sent into the site that could be very effective. To keep the squirrels or rabbits from digging up your garden you can buy dried fox urine and sprinkle it in the garden, but it can be costly for a small envelope. Instead I had my husband urinate in a jar and sprinkled it in my garden. Viola, no more digging. Ask any hunter and he/she will tell you that you never urinate in the woods or the deer won't come near the smell of human urine. Male urine
  26. EatMoreChips

Blood meal, eh? I might give that a go. Over the weekend, I arranged lots of pointy bamboo skewers around all the bulbs, but that might be a bit cruel. The squirrel will probably find a way round them anyway, but I suppose I might manage to impale a few local children, if I'm lucky.
  27. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

If they are grey squirls SHOOT THE FUCKERS :cool: