1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I clean a bolster pillow?

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by Quartz, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

I've got a bolster pillow which frankly looks disgusting. At 5 feet long and a foot in breadth it won't fit in my washing machine and it won't fit in the local laundrette's machines.

So I'm thinking of using my bath. Suggestions, please?
  2. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

It wouldn't fold into the launderette's machines at all?? Bath is probably your only other option tbh.
  3. Quartz

I've decided that it's so disgusting that as it's polyester & cotton I'm going to upgrade myself to a proper duck feather one with a quilted cover.
    stuff_it and Mrs Magpie like this.
  4. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

feather or hollow fibre?
  5. Quartz

Feather.
  6. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

needs to be dry cleaned water will fuck the feathers

dryclean would be better for hollowfibre too but you can get away with a lot more with hollow fiber

it does colapse nastily after a year or two though.

you might want to invest in a second pillow case so less dirt transfers through.

actually that might be cheaper than washing it

so far i've not needed to wash any of my pillows. though some could do with a spruce up.
  7. Quartz

Ah sorry - I thought you meant the one I'm getting. No, the one that needs cleaning is plain machine-washable - if you've got a big enough machine.

And I am investing in quilted covers for that very reason.
  8. geminisnake

You can't/couldn't dry clean pillows or duvets. There is something in the cleaning process that leaves something in the garment that is toxic. Someone at the local laundrette told me that some years ago, no idea if it is still correct.
  9. Quartz

Look what arrived today:

[​IMG]

Plus pillowcases.

So I put them all together:

[​IMG]

Fastidious urbanites will no doubt spot that I didn't iron my duvet cover - tough!
    cesare likes this.
  10. geminisnake

I never iron bedding, it only gets all crumpled when you sleep in it anyway :)
    Quartz and cesare like this.
  11. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

I apply this principle to clothes.
    cesare likes this.
  12. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

If anyone complained to me that I didn't iron my bedding, it would be the last time they ever clapped eyes on it. :D