1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home made pizza

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by mrs quoad, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Termite Man

Termite Man zombie flesh eater

the herbs are not 'more peripheral' :mad:

I might make home made pizza next week now, the ex didn't get on with tomato that well so I always made hers with pesto as a sauce which works really well.

2. contadino

contadino Well-Known Member

You'll only be able to avoid that by having a 'kin hot oven. As an indication, my pizza oven reaches somewhere in the region of 450deg C before it's ready for the pizza to go in. You can get semi-dried mozzerella - sort of the texture of haloumi - which is grateable and works better if your oven ain't up to the job.

3. _angel_

_angel_ urban myth

Made the boys french bread pizza yesterday using the parbaked loafs. Nice and not really cookery.

4. dilute micro

dilute micro esse quam videri

Yep this. I suspect her problem is temperature...and not letting the oven come to temp as herbsman said. Even a moderately loaded down pizza shouldn't be soggy.

or she should build one of these

[​IMG]

5. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

Another reason for soggy pizzas is the sauce being too thin or having too much oil in it.
    When I make my sauce I fry loads of garlic in a little olive oil, then press a tin of tomatoes through a sieve and simmer away until I can draw a spoon over the bottom of the pan and the sauce is thick enough that it won't flow back iyswim.

6. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

I love mr steevs pizza more than most restuarants...:)

mr steev likes this.
  7. Herbsman.

Herbsman. Hill climbing is ace

yes, thick sauce is a must! it should be almost 'dry'

Greebo likes this.
  8. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

That would be great :cool:

I have a friend who makes clay ovens. She does loads of workshops making them with kids and it's inspired me to try and build one in my garden at some point :)

9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Sweetcorn :(

10. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

your nuts?
    you're nuts!

11. wemakeyousoundb

wemakeyousoundb and calm again

They'll be putting ketchup on it next :'(

12. dilute micro

dilute micro esse quam videri

I'd like to have one too. They'd be great for having people over.

13. Global Stoner

Global Stoner baseline neural therapy

BBQ :)

Actually this is why I should have a go at making them, most bbq pizza you buy is to sweet.

14. Herbsman.

15. contadino

contadino Well-Known Member

If pizze are your thing, avoid moulded clay/adobe. They're good for making bread and other al forno stuff, but for pizze, you need things hotter. Either use sandstone, refectory bricks, or terracotta/clay pieces cemented using lime. No cement.

16. geminisnake

geminisnake a complex mass of conflicting ideas

If you hadn't posted the drugs quip I wouldn't have known quoady faffed up. So imo you don't look stupid at all.

I like sweetcorn on pizza :p

17. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

Ah, my friend tends to make bread in the ovens she makes. Thanks for the advice :)

18. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Was the £1 spicy chicken of high quality and free range :D

19. moonsi til

moonsi til worked it out now!

I too vote for sweetcorn & pineapple on pizza though I will say that I don't think mr steev puts that on his. He always has yummy sliced black olives/onions/peppers combo that works a treat for me.

wtfftw likes this.
  20. mrs quoad

mrs quoad ¡pǝlqɐsıp ƃuıƃƃɐʇ sɐɥ ;ǝpnɹ ʇou

Tbh, ours have been fine (even with mozzarella) @ 240.

I think it must be something to do with the beating our bread machine gives the dough?

21. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Was going to ask if you used a bread machine for the dough. I have not done any cook at home pizzas for a long time but as we have a bread machine now I should sort this out. Obviously not with sweetcorn though.

For some reason we have two bags of (just add water) pizza base mix here. Not sure where they came from :hmm:

22. mr steev

mr steev unkempt clacker

If you've got a breadmachine there's no excuse not to make you're own as it's a piece of piss. :)
    I use my machine more often to make dough than I do bread at the moment

23. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet ammonia snooker balls

It's a piece of piss to make the dough even without a bread machine really. I manage even though there are bigger kitchens than mine in aeroplanes.

Badgers likes this.
  24. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

You have a galley (aka shoebox) kitchen too then? :D

25. FridgeMagnet

It's a nightmare. If I'd known how much it was going to annoy me I'd have thought twice about moving into this flat. I spend half my time knocking things over and screaming "AAHGHH WHY IS THIS FUCKING PLACE SO SHIT" and then drinking wine which makes it even more likely that I will knock things over.

My old place was tiny and had leaky windows and leagues of flea-carrying mice, but it did at least have a kitchen area bigger than the bedroom.

26. wtfftw

wtfftw toasted cheese debauchery

I quite like being able to reach everything in my kitchen while standing in one spot. :thumbs:

27. FridgeMagnet

Idaho and mrs quoad like this.
  28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp

Looks fucking ace :)

29. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Add sweetcorn to the dough?

30. Herbsman.