1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Hm, I fancy a go at that"

Discussion in 'Olympics 2012' started by Lord Camomile, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Lord Camomile

Lord Camomile Unknown Member

Much has been made of the 'sporting legacy' of London 2012, but has watching the sports on display so far encouraged you to actually give any of them a go?

I'll generally give any sport a go if given a chance, but currently I'm quite interested in having a go at handball and (indoor) volleyball. Did the latter at school a bit, but can't have played for around 15 years.

Probably won't be great at either because I'm kinda short and have almost no upper-body strength (think of a malnourished 7 year old), but would be fun to have a go.

2. gabi

gabi Well-Known Member

Basketball and Cycle Road Racing. Buying a basketball this weekend, we have courts in the local park.

3. mrsfran

mrsfran Slightly less bulbous

I've looked into adult gymnastics classes near where I live. But I did do gymnastics for 10 years as youngster.

4. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Handball is easy to get into, all you do is bounce, pass and shoot anyway. Fairly simple rules too.

mrs quoad likes this.
  5. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Swimming is the only sport I have ever been able to do as an adult and I'm always thinking about going. 'Newham pools' page is permenantly open on my iphone :facepalm:

6. Ich bin ein Mod

Ich bin ein Mod does his make up in his room

I quite fancy a go at handball too, looking into joining a club near me. I reckon I'll need to seriously work on my fitness though.

7. QueenOfGoths

QueenOfGoths Black puddings very black today, Mother!

I would love to have a go at archery...but I am too shakey :( And I am quite obsessed by rowing but really, they'd be little chance of me being able to even sit in the boat never mind wielding an oar :D

8. friedaweed

friedaweed massive tenementist

Reffin the beach volleyball has to be up there on top of my list at the moment. I'm also tempted to get into the local municipal swimming baths gym maybe once a week and have a gander at how long it would take me to get in shape to contend for a place in the gymnastics team. Mens obvs ;)

9. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Bound for glory

I'm completely in awe of the gymnasts. But I guess you have to start training when you're in the womb to get anywhere near that level.

10. friedaweed

OOOhhh go on spoil my dreams then:mad:

11. SpookyFrank

And they'll all be crippled by arthritis by the time they're 45. And they probably didn't have childhoods.

12. Lord Camomile

I think it'd be much easier to wield an oar - just pick one up and start swinging!

13. TruXta

TruXta Tired of this

Thing about rowing is that the boats are so narrow most normals would capsize before they even got to sit down and pick up an oar.

14. Lord Camomile

The boat wouldn't even notice my presence.

15. friedaweed

Which is why starting your gymnastic career at 43 years and 18 stone has to be a winning formula innit ;)

16. Limejuice

Limejuice Well-Known Member

So kite-surfing is out of the question then..?

#hello_oslo

17. SpookyFrank

I can't fault your logic there.

18. Pickman's model

Pickman's model highway to hell

i'd like to try the shooting, but with some sort of more, er, industrial gun

[​IMG]

stuff_it and Mephitic like this.
  19. friedaweed

Actually after reading the news I think I might take up badminton. The Chinese look to be a bit of a push over this year. :)

cesare and Bahnhof Strasse like this.
  20. Corax

Corax This will change your life: http://bit.ly/19lPFRa

I like the look of Handball. But I'd have to get myself into a less humiliating state of unfitness before I gave it a go in front of another human being. Maybe I can practice in my front room first. The cat can go goalie.

21. Orang Utan

Orang Utan like an outdated combine harvester

This week, i went down on my drops for the first time since I bought my bike. This is certainly due to watching the Olympics.
    :oops: I need to keep doing it as it's a much more efficient way of riding quickly. I feel less in control of my bike though, but that could just be a matter of confidence.

22. Wilf

Wilf Getting there

I take enough drugs now without wanting to step on the path to Olympic greatness.

23. smmudge

smmudge We teach life, sir.

I've been learning hymns and patriotic songs from the opening ceremony. I like the idea of reappropriating traditional songs from their nationalistic connotations. I might look up choirs in the area.

24. Corax

Corax This will change your life: http://bit.ly/19lPFRa

I've always thought Tomorrow Belongs to Me is quite catchy.

Bahnhof Strasse likes this.
  25. Thraex

Thraex Needs to posh up his pants

Having seen some of the fencing, and currently waiting to watch (on the telly box) the brilliant Olga Kharlan (I've been following her career for a few years now) I'm quite tempted to get my fencing stuff out again and join a club.

26. wayward bob

wayward bob official sideboard pervert

ahstanga yoga's the thing for the would-be gymnasts :cool: but approach with caution re injuries.

27. RubyToogood

RubyToogood Palacetinian

I already swim and cycle, and occasionally ponder the triathlon, as every fucker seems to do it these days. I'd struggle with the running though. They'd have to make the third event knitting or sarcasm or something.

28. twentythreedom

twentythreedom a Somali pirate riding a dinosaur, obviously

I'd like to coach the Brazil women's volleyball team tbh

gentlegreen and stuff_it like this.
  29. Vintage Paw

Vintage Paw Registered Loser

I've always fancied both of those, too. The archery most of all, because I fucking love Skyrim, her from Brave has got fucking amazing hair, and I want to bone Hawkeye from The Avengers.

I used to play badminton quite a bit, still have my racquet, always mean to find someone willing to play with me, but my apathy and aversion of all things vaguely active seems to get in the way.

QueenOfGoths likes this.
  30. pinkmonkey

pinkmonkey 2.4 hour party person

Took the dog out on the towpath this aft and almost got mown down by the wannabee Bradly Wigginses.
    I don't want to be a sport rower but if I could be arsed to bail the canoe out I might celebrate the rowing golds with a can of ale while I paddle about.

Hollis likes this.